• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Really weird maths assignment (1 Viewer)

selablad

HSC
So I got my Maths C (maths ext) assignment yesterday, and it's really odd :confused:

We have to research an option topic that we each got randomly assigned - mine is the pentagram.

And then we have to teach it to the rest of the class, in ten minutes, and include relevant activities and AV presentations, and the criteria include stuff like audience interaction and interest.

I've done some research on pentagrams, like how to construct, historical significance, weird cults, golden ratio stuff. So the maths side isn't too hard. It's just I'm not all that great as a teacher...

So my question is, if you were one of my "students", what would interest you? I have to plan some kind of activity, and you have to be interested in my presentation, but I have no idea how to go about this :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
All I can think of is Da Vinci Code. :\

selablad

HSC
Haha, funny that, that's actually what our assignment is based on :) We had to read all these extracts from it and everything :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Either your syllabus is weird, or your Maths teacher is. :D

selablad

HSC
Aerath said:
Either your syllabus is weird, or your Maths teacher is. :D
Both :D

selablad in combinations/permutations thread said:
I remember when we were doing this topic, my maths teacher told us that statistics is the slut of the mathematical world :)
Also I think my my maths teacher is getting lazy and is getting us to do her teaching for her, under the guise of an assignment :D We have to do so many non-exam assessments anyway...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not really - that means she'd have to mark the assessments in her own time - not many teachers like that.

selablad

HSC
Aerath said:
Not really - that means she'd have to mark the assessments in her own time - not many teachers like that.
I'm not sure what you mean?

sikhman said:
the reason they have to do this (i think) is because the board of studies mandates an 'alternative' assessment for maths....it probably means your school is getting inspected by bos officials this year and they ahve to show an 'alternative' assessment for maths. this happened to us in year 9.....alternatively, you might have a really weird maths teacher :)
Yup, pretty much :rolleyes:

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
selablad said:
And then we have to teach it to the rest of the class, in ten minutes, and include relevant activities and AV presentations, and the criteria include stuff like audience interaction and interest.
Sounds familiar.
I think our class had to do that once.
I think the interest part mainly means like, they don't want your 'students' to be sitting there bored and that.
See how well someone can do it freehand or something.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
All I can think of is Da Vinci Code. :\
Good book, but shit movie.

I don't I have ever gotten a Maths assignment before. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)