raw mark for over 90 (1 Viewer)

Captain pi

HSC
withoutaface said:
1988 was all pretty much standard questions that wouldnt be out of place on any other paper, so hence i got through it pretty quickly without stretching my brain much.
1989 Q8: EEEK!

That's a question the Olympiad team would have liked. :uhhuh:

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Trev said:
what would be the average mark for Q8, out of 15?
what topic is usually in Q8?

0 to 5.... varies from year to year....

hasterz

HSC
haboozin said:
Dream on....
piss easy is a massive understatement. It was a little bit easier than 2003, but thats only because 2003 was harder than any other year...
Basicly 2004 paper jumped back into being a NORMAL 4u HSC exam.
When my sister came out of that exam, she was like I RUINED EVERYTHIING. But all her friends that said it was easy did worse. (They are people with same ability)

i've seen Band E4 answers for Q8 and basicly a and MAYBE b are answered then the rest is blank.
You will never find an exampler of Q8.
Even if someone really is exceptional in mathematics, the chances of them not making a silly mistake especially under that preasure.

When i get over 95% in the test, i have known without a doubt every single question's answer in that test. I have just forgot really stupid things along the way.

Do not underestimate Ivan, not everyone gets 30/30 for the AMC and gets gold medals in international olympiads like he does.

and also, there has already been 2 119's (1999, 1992) and one 120 (1993)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
You obviously didn't try 1988:p I attempted that and got 100% (assuming my 1 hour of time left would have been enough to eliminate silly errors)
E.g. 4U 1988: Q3b.
Isn't that considered a fairly straight-forward 3U question?

hasterz

HSC
ahaha its more like a 2 unit question

excercise 19.b in the fitz 2 unit book is harder lol

Captain pi

HSC
hasterz said:
Do not underestimate Ivan, not everyone gets 30/30 for the AMC and gets gold medals in international olympiads like he does.

and also, there has already been 2 119's (1999, 1992) and one 120 (1993)
Firstly, where do people get the highest raw marks for the HSC exams? I looked for it before my HSC, in vain.

Secondly, has Ivan made an FOI application (or a clerical recheck :D)?

Thirdly, if Ivan was ranked equal first, then by how much is the other person's mark affected? (This is a Technical Arcana question, but I don't want to submit a new thread.) What transformation is applied to the assessment mark then?

I was ranked equal first with another fellow in Extension 1 and we both received different exam marks (by 2), but the same assessment mark (the higher of the exam marks).

hasterz

HSC
well 1st of all from 1988-2001 before the new hsc this information was realeased to the public. As you would know now they dont do that anymore.

the fact that ivan was not ranked 1st he was immensly affected. say if ivan and the person who came equel to him (lets say person x) both got an raw assesment mark of 95 with ivan gettin 100 for exam mark while x gets 95 then both their assesment marks are moderated to 97.5 meaning getting 100 would be impossible. if X got even lower in the exam mark ... say 90 ( its not possible as sydney high is an extremely math oriented school but for the sake of my example im using it..) then ivan's assesment mark is lowered down to 95. so as you can see your final hsc mark is bottlenecked by the person who ranks ahead of you or equel to you.

Archman

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I suspect that Ivan Guo may have managed 120 and he was dragged down because he was only =1st in school assessment...

EDIT: I asked for itemised by question, and it's still not here:/
nup, exam mark was 99.

Captain pi

HSC
hasterz said:
well 1st of all from 1988-2001 before the new hsc this information was realeased to the public. As you would know now they dont do that anymore.

the fact that ivan was not ranked 1st he was immensly affected. say if ivan and the person who came equel to him (lets say person x) both got an [moderated] assesment mark of 95 with ivan gettin 100 for exam mark while x gets 95 then both their assesment marks are moderated to 97.5 meaning getting 100 would be impossible. if X got even lower in the exam mark ... say 90 ( its not possible as sydney high is an extremely math oriented school but for the sake of my example im using it..) then ivan's assesment mark is lowered down to 95. so as you can see your final hsc mark is bottlenecked by the person who ranks ahead of you or equel to you.
No, that's not quite correct, in my experience.

I was ranked equal first with another person in Extension 1 Mathematics. We had different exam marks, but the same assessment mark; however, that assessment mark was not the mean of the two examination marks, it was the highest examination mark (as far as I could tell: the difference between exam marks was only two).

Besides, in reality, the person would not have done as poorly as you say, unless there was a misadventure between the Trials and the HSC exams.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
No, that's not quite correct, in my experience.

I was ranked equal first with another person in Extension 1 Mathematics. We had different exam marks, but the same assessment mark; however, that assessment mark was not the mean of the two examination marks, it was the highest examination mark (as far as I could tell: the difference between exam marks was only two).

Besides, in reality, the person would not have done as poorly as you say, unless there was a misadventure between the Trials and the HSC exams.
What was your raw assessment mark?
BOS takes marks that are rounded to the nearest 0.1, so that's where the difference may have arisen.
If two people have exactly the same raw assessment mark, then each will get the average of the highest two exam marks as their moderated assessment mark.

hasterz

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hey Archman, are you Ivan? (excuse my ignorance) :)
correct

~ ReNcH ~ said:
What was your raw assessment mark?
BOS takes marks that are rounded to the nearest 0.1, so that's where the difference may have arisen.
If two people have exactly the same raw assessment mark, then each will get the average of the highest two exam marks as their moderated assessment mark.
captain pi its quite possible your freind is lying that he got a higher exam mark than you to try and make it seem his better than you =p...........

... but yes i am postive its the mean of the exam marks.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
hasterz said:
correct

captain pi its quite possible your freind is lying that he got a higher exam mark than you to try and make it seem his better than you =p...........

... but yes i am postive its the mean of the exam marks.
:p
Hey Archman, are you Ivan?
hasterz said:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)