• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

raw mark for over 90 (1 Viewer)

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
Ok...lots of ppl have been asking me what I think the mark for an E4 cutoff would be for 4 unit Maths.....so to stop ppl asking all I can say is that me and my friends estimated that we would get around 85-90/120 in the 2004 HSC....I ended up getting 91 and my friends got 92 and 89 (marks were pretty close).....2003 was pretty much the same......

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
That sounds about right.
I was estimating that a mark of ~90/120 raw would align to a Band 6 given an exam of moderate difficulty.

On that note, I wonder when the rest of the raw marks will be sent to the FOI applicants? So far only a couple of people have posted their marks on acmilan's thread in the "Technical Arcana" forum.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
That sounds about right.
I was estimating that a mark of ~90/120 raw would align to a Band 6 given an exam of moderate difficulty.

On that note, I wonder when the rest of the raw marks will be sent to the FOI applicants? So far only a couple of people have posted their marks on acmilan's thread in the "Technical Arcana" forum.
The BOS are being assholes with my application, I sent it around the 28th of December or so and I only just got the "We have received your application" letter today. >:/

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
I dont know why you guys always estimate your raw marks so high...

The raw marks for mathematics and their statistics get released by the mathematics board (I dont know if we have access to them but the teachers do).

In 2003, the top mark in the state (hense the best preformance in the 4u hsc) was 104/120.

So getting in the 90's (as in 9X/120) is very good, i would say over 94/100 for your hsc examination mark.

As you can see from sam, that something like 80% of people who get band E4 have a hsc mark of 92 and under.

So i think the cutoff mark for band E4 would be more in the low 80's.

Also, doing the hsc test at home: giving yourself more time, being relaxed and even checking your notes for small things you cant remember. Then getting well over 100/120 in your test doesnt really count for much. Not to mention you marking it yourself. Eg you may still give yourself a mark to silly errors just because you "knew" the answers.

My sister in her trials got something like 67% and had never really gotten over 70% in any 4u test. However, her hsc exam mark was 93/100. She also got 93/100 for her assessments. The top guy in the class (which before coming here was first in his city in china) got soemthing like 77% in his trial and 98/100 for his hsc exam mark and assessment, one more mark and he would have had the chance for being in the top 15 (or however many there were) in the news paper

2004 was probably easier so the marks would b slightly higher... Which is even more reasons that tests change from years to years so you cant really estimate.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
honestly speaking i think it is mid-high 70's

sounds hard right now coz u prolli dont know al lthe topics
but if u work towards hsc you'll realise it is actually not that hard to get

CrashOveride

HSC
I got 92.
I wouldn't put my estimate as high as 85 to 90 out of 120. I would say more like mid 70's.

And as ryan said, it's not hard. The mode for 2004 HSC was in the range 90 to 92.

Hopefully, Justin's BOS application will come soon.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
haboozin said:
I dont know why you guys always estimate your raw marks so high...

The raw marks for mathematics and their statistics get released by the mathematics board (I dont know if we have access to them but the teachers do).

In 2003, the top mark in the state (hense the best preformance in the 4u hsc) was 104/120.

So getting in the 90's (as in 9X/120) is very good, i would say over 94/100 for your hsc examination mark.

As you can see from sam, that something like 80% of people who get band E4 have a hsc mark of 92 and under.

So i think the cutoff mark for band E4 would be more in the low 80's.

Also, doing the hsc test at home: giving yourself more time, being relaxed and even checking your notes for small things you cant remember. Then getting well over 100/120 in your test doesnt really count for much. Not to mention you marking it yourself. Eg you may still give yourself a mark to silly errors just because you "knew" the answers.

My sister in her trials got something like 67% and had never really gotten over 70% in any 4u test. However, her hsc exam mark was 93/100. She also got 93/100 for her assessments. The top guy in the class (which before coming here was first in his city in china) got soemthing like 77% in his trial and 98/100 for his hsc exam mark and assessment, one more mark and he would have had the chance for being in the top 15 (or however many there were) in the news paper

2004 was probably easier so the marks would b slightly higher... Which is even more reasons that tests change from years to years so you cant really estimate.
This year's exam was piss easy though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the top mark was 120.

Captain pi

HSC
No chance

The top aligned mark was 99. Therefore, there was no perfect score.

I sent my FOI application in mid-January: I suppose I'll have to wait. I asked, optimistically, for question by question results: they should let me have it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Captain pi said:
The top aligned mark was 99. Therefore, there was no perfect score.

I sent my FOI application in mid-January: I suppose I'll have to wait. I asked, optimistically, for question by question results: they should let me have it.
I suspect that Ivan Guo may have managed 120 and he was dragged down because he was only =1st in school assessment...

EDIT: I asked for itemised by question, and it's still not here:/

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
lol... genraly 65% is a band 6... i.e high 70z... which is why 35% of the state get a band 6 and 55% get a band 5. if u get a band 4 in 4u, ur in real trouble. better off doin 3u and not waste ur tym. the test are gettn real easy now 2... when relative to older 1z

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
The BOS are being assholes with my application, I sent it around the 28th of December or so and I only just got the "We have received your application" letter today. >:/
Hmm - typical of BOS :p
Seeing as you only got a confirmation yesterday, I'm guessing your raw marks will be available within the next couple of weeks (fingers crossed).

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
withoutaface said:
This year's exam was piss easy though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the top mark was 120.
Dream on....
piss easy is a massive understatement. It was a little bit easier than 2003, but thats only because 2003 was harder than any other year...
Basicly 2004 paper jumped back into being a NORMAL 4u HSC exam.
When my sister came out of that exam, she was like I RUINED EVERYTHIING. But all her friends that said it was easy did worse. (They are people with same ability)

i've seen Band E4 answers for Q8 and basicly a and MAYBE b are answered then the rest is blank.
You will never find an exampler of Q8.
Even if someone really is exceptional in mathematics, the chances of them not making a silly mistake especially under that preasure.

When i get over 95% in the test, i have known without a doubt every single question's answer in that test. I have just forgot really stupid things along the way.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
haboozin said:
Dream on....
piss easy is a massive understatement. It was a little bit easier than 2003, but thats only because 2003 was harder than any other year...
Basicly 2004 paper jumped back into being a NORMAL 4u HSC exam.
When my sister came out of that exam, she was like I RUINED EVERYTHIING. But all her friends that said it was easy did worse. (They are people with same ability)

i've seen Band E4 answers for Q8 and basicly a and MAYBE b are answered then the rest is blank.
You will never find an exampler of Q8.
Even if someone really is exceptional in mathematics, the chances of them not making a silly mistake especially under that preasure.

When i get over 95% in the test, i have known without a doubt every single question's answer in that test. I have just forgot really stupid things along the way.
The actual reason I wouldn't be surprised about a 120 is a combination of the difficulty of the exam and the quality of the candidature at the top of the form. And a regular band E4 mark of 90 is not a particularly good mark, seeing as something like 1/3 of the 4u maths candidates attain it and given the number of people that fuck it up completely, a band E4 response in some cases may only indicate something slightly beyond the mediocre.

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
Haboozin you saw band e3 standard answers for Q8?
Like....they have in those packages with student answers???
I thought that didn't exist for Maths Extension 2.

Oh and err 2003 wasn't harder than most other years...it was also relatively good but seriously 2004 was definitely easiest in last 10 year and (taking a leap) maybe in the last 20 also =p (because the older exams usually are harder than these modern ones)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
CrashOveride said:

Oh and err 2003 wasn't harder than most other years...it was also relatively good but seriously 2004 was definitely easiest in last 10 year and (taking a leap) maybe in the last 20 also =p (because the older exams usually are harder than these modern ones)
You obviously didn't try 1988:p I attempted that and got 100% (assuming my 1 hour of time left would have been enough to eliminate silly errors)

CrashOveride

HSC
Wow, are you serious? Hmm something doesn't sound right about that :)
And nope, i didnt do the 1988 paper.

But the real aces are the guys that got perfect scores in MX2. I think i read somewhere it was last done in like 1994 or something ? (Or was it 1988? :p )

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1988 was all pretty much standard questions that wouldnt be out of place on any other paper, so hence i got through it pretty quickly without stretching my brain much.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
CrashOveride said:
Yea, it does
except Q8 answers are like blank (they dont put the ones that ppl have totaly gone off track and made up things) and there is no exampler for it.

Captain pi

HSC
There are no set topics for any particular Questions (although Q1 is usually straight-forward integration, Q2 usually straight-forward nombres complexes). In Q8 last year, there was a difficult conics question and a reasonably difficult integration question.

I would say probably 4 or 5 is the mean, but even that may be too high (I am guessing quite a few people simply do not attempt it).

Have a look at the marking guidelines and they will give you an idea for each question in each paper.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)