Rant (1 Viewer)

itzJayyx3

HSC
Guys so us year 12's have just finished our first HSC assessment task (We made it !) and I received a shocking mark for chemistry. 27/40 which is about 68%. However I think the teacher was a bit too harsh on the marking as all us students in my school were able to see the marking criteria and concluded that the way he marked was way too harsh compared to the marking criteria. The highest mark was 30/40 which was again also due to harsh marking. I went up to different science teachers and asked their thoughts on whether I deserved the mark or not. It concluded that I should've gotten 6 extra marks but MY teacher still decided not to add those marks. It's just making me stressed because I did well in every other subject but am scared this mark will affect my chances of getting a band 6 in the HSC. (atar goal is 98.00 - wanting to get into actuarial studies)

[edit] It is worth 25% of the final internal weighting

Current marks are:
Ext 2: Have not done
Ext 1: 100%
Physics: 86%
English Standard: 89%
Chemistry: 68%

Can an ex-year 12 please tell me if an event like this occurred to you ? :(

Last edited:

chairs

HSC
isnt there a system where, if everyone does bad, in the end it scales or something. so as long as you did quite well compared to the cohort (regardless of mark), you would be fine? i have no idea if that is how it works,i may be completely wrong, but just something i heard about.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Guys so us year 12's have just finished our first HSC assessment task (We made it !) and I received a shocking mark for chemistry. 27/40 which is about 68%. However I think the teacher was a bit too harsh on the marking as all us students in my school were able to see the marking criteria and concluded that the way he marked was way too harsh compared to the marking criteria. The highest mark was 30/40 which was again also due to harsh marking. I went up to different science teachers and asked their thoughts on whether I deserved the mark or not. It concluded that I should've gotten 6 extra marks but MY teacher still decided not to add those marks. It's just making me stressed because I did well in every other subject but am scared this mark will affect my chances of getting a band 6 in the HSC. (atar goal is 98.00 - wanting to get into actuarial studies)

[edit] It is worth 25% of the final internal weighting ������������

Current marks are:

The raw mark isn't very important, what's important is how you went relative to the cohort.

Flop21

HSC
If they marked harshly on everyone, who cares?

Flop21

HSC
The mark literally does NOT matter at ALL.

It's your final rank. Seriously, you'll see at the end of the year when your mark goes out the window and you're left with ranks determining your mark.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

Current marks are:

What rank school?

Science marks harsh, if you don't get used to it now; the HSC marking will shock you even more.
"I went up to different science teachers and asked their thoughts on whether I deserved the mark or not. It concluded that I should've gotten 6 extra marks but MY teacher still decided not to add those marks."

Depends; different teachers look for different things. As long as the teacher marks consistently across the form; there should be no issue. If it was because of inconsistent marking; for instance, you put an answer that got marked wrong; but is virtually identical to an answer that got marked as right (on another student's paper for instance of your class or of another class).

25% of internal = 12.5% of HSC. The difference of 13 marks won't be noticeable (it is about 1.5 marks**); if you do well in your other assessments/the HSC itself; shouldn't be an issue.

**and this is your unscaled mark; the school sometimes scales or adjusts marks before sending through; and they are then alighted and scaled/moderated anyway using the BOSTES magic formula.

Since you came 3rd; I wouldn't be stressed about this; since the rest of the grade didn't do as well. Then it isn't actually bad.

====
Hypothetically lets say you still did badly in Chemistry; and got 86 overall. That is still a high band 5 (if the cutoff is high that is). You can still get a really good atar, provided the rest of your subjects are great. (Chemistry tends to scale well for the ATAR anyway)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Current marks are:

Seeing as though it's chemistry, you may want to take note of what happens in the half yearly; then if you're not embarrassed to, send the paper and your answers to some 2015ers who still remember the course quite decently and ask for the marking to be critiqued. Marking guidelines will be beneficial here.

It could be EITHER a case of harsh marking, or you all didn't do well as you anticipated.

Note, however, like everyone said, in the internals it is your rank that counts the most. Therefore if everyone kills the HSC anyway then who cares.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
It just means your teacher/school marks harshly. The mark means NOTHING (unless it was a super easy exam with not-harsh marking), its the rank. Since the highest was 30/40, you were only 3 marks behind and possibly only one or two positions behind (unless a lot of people got 28 - 30/40).

Ultimately, you want harder examinations so that in the external exam, you would ultimately probably perform better due to strict guidance and expectations from your school.

leehuan

HSC
It just means your teacher/school marks harshly. The mark means NOTHING (unless it was a super easy exam with not-harsh marking), its the rank. Since the highest was 30/40, you were only 3 marks behind and possibly only one or two positions behind (unless a lot of people got 28 - 30/40).

Ultimately, you want harder examinations so that in the external exam, you would ultimately probably perform better due to strict guidance and expectations from your school.
99% of the time at least

Some James Ruse chemistry papers are ridiculous...

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
99% of the time at least

Some James Ruse chemistry papers are ridiculous...
Yeah, sometimes its just the individual being incompetent in the subject LOL

Chemistry is just ridiculous in general to me. Thats why I do Physics LOL

leehuan

HSC
Yeah, sometimes its just the individual being incompetent in the subject LOL

Chemistry is just ridiculous in general to me. Thats why I do Physics LOL
Pfft chemistry is bae. Though my physics teacher was absolutely amazing I loved classes with him. I would've failed physics with almost every other teacher.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Pfft chemistry is bae. Though my physics teacher was absolutely amazing I loved classes with him. I would've failed physics with almost every other teacher.
As I was picking subjects, I based it off my experience in Year 10.

Biology --> My fucking bae. Except I wasn't allowed to take it.
Chemistry --> Holy shit, its so interesting. But was also hell to grasp the basics of, especially the equations
Physics --> The most "straight forward" IMO because it was...the real physical world...something I can "relate to"

itzJayyx3

HSC
What rank school?

Science marks harsh, if you don't get used to it now; the HSC marking will shock you even more.
"I went up to different science teachers and asked their thoughts on whether I deserved the mark or not. It concluded that I should've gotten 6 extra marks but MY teacher still decided not to add those marks."

Depends; different teachers look for different things. As long as the teacher marks consistently across the form; there should be no issue. If it was because of inconsistent marking; for instance, you put an answer that got marked wrong; but is virtually identical to an answer that got marked as right (on another student's paper for instance of your class or of another class).

25% of internal = 12.5% of HSC. The difference of 13 marks won't be noticeable (it is about 1.5 marks**); if you do well in your other assessments/the HSC itself; shouldn't be an issue.

**and this is your unscaled mark; the school sometimes scales or adjusts marks before sending through; and they are then alighted and scaled/moderated anyway using the BOSTES magic formula.

Since you came 3rd; I wouldn't be stressed about this; since the rest of the grade didn't do as well. Then it isn't actually bad.

====
Hypothetically lets say you still did badly in Chemistry; and got 86 overall. That is still a high band 5 (if the cutoff is high that is). You can still get a really good atar, provided the rest of your subjects are great. (Chemistry tends to scale well for the ATAR anyway)
I got 1/4 for a description question and my friend got 3/4 for pretty much the same answer. I argued and was only able to get 1 extra mark making it 2/4.

The mark literally does NOT matter at ALL.

It's your final rank. Seriously, you'll see at the end of the year when your mark goes out the window and you're left with ranks determining your mark.
So what if hypothetically you all failed but you came first out of like 60, but in the HSC you smash the exam getting a raw mark of 90+. What happens then ? Does your final mark become 90+ disregarding your internal marks ? or does both of it become moderated and become like 8x - 7x

I technically came 5th, 2 people got 28/30 and 2 people got 30/40.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So what if hypothetically you all failed but you came first out of like 60, but in the HSC you smash the exam getting a raw mark of 90+. What happens then ? Does your final mark become 90+ disregarding your internal marks ? or does both of it become moderated and become like 8x - 7x
You'd do really well. Your 90+ (assume this is after aligning) would be your external mark. Your internal would be the highest out of all moderated external marks from your cohort, since you're first internally. This would be 90+ too. So in the end you'd end up with an overall mark of 90+.

Edit, realised you said 90+ raw. This usually aligns to 90+ anyway; check the Raw Marks database for further info.

Flop21

HSC
The assessment mark you get from your school means nothing, when I say that I mean it, like it's useless. They use your rank only. So everyone has their internal ranks, sits the HSC, then they go... hmm okay so the person ranked internally 1st gets the mark of the person ranked externally 1st as THEIR internal mark. And everyone gets their own external mark. And so forth for the other ranks.

That's why it's so important to rank highly.

leehuan

HSC
I got 1/4 for a description question and my friend got 3/4 for pretty much the same answer. I argued and was only able to get 1 extra mark making it 2/4.

Please read this article on moderation.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

As I was picking subjects, I based it off my experience in Year 10.

Biology --> My fucking bae. Except I wasn't allowed to take it.
Chemistry --> Holy shit, its so interesting. But was also hell to grasp the basics of, especially the equations
Physics --> The most "straight forward" IMO because it was...the real physical world...something I can "relate to"
Tbh, for the most part so did I. Physics was the only subject that I DIDN'T take out of my Year 10 experience. The reason for that? Physics in Junior Science Yr 9 and Yr 10 was the worst with simple machines and etc. Yr 8 wasn't much better either - I hated circuits back then.

Literally, I was convinced into doing the stereotypical 4. I picked biology and chemistry both out of interest, and of course, maths. English Adv was simply cause of the scaling.

Though, one thing about biology. Yr 11 biology is the worst... I would've died if I hadn't had a lovely teacher.
-----------------
extras:
1. I had the worst commerce teacher ever. That was the reason I didn't pick economics; far too unmotivated. And I hated essay writing back then.
2. My science interest developed only because chemistry was first introduced significantly in Yr 9 lol. Biology was also fun in Yr 10; diseases and genetics are amazing.

Last edited:

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
At least be happy you got 2/4 then. People in my year; would try to argue for marks in any way possible; yes it happens sometimes; but sometimes the teachers are annoyed that your aren't satisfied with their marking. Depends, if you were missing a key thing (just as a justification/conclusion) in a description question; then 2/4 is a reasonable mark to be offered with. Reminds me of my first assessment, where if you didn't use the word "maltose dimer" (for chemistry) you were penalised for that question. Seems to be another case, of science marking being specific.

Take it in your stride it is only the first assessment; 98.00 is still realistic and achievable.

So what if hypothetically you all failed but you came first out of like 60, but in the HSC you smash the exam getting a raw mark of 90+. What happens then ? Does your final mark become 90+ disregarding your internal marks ? or does both of it become moderated and become like 8x - 7x.
Depends on how the rest of the cohort does in the HSC; if the cohort does badly; it might affect you; although I don't think it will if you rank first.

5th is still good; the spacing is not that big; you can still rank even better.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)