Ranking Help - i need it :( (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Piratefishy said:
Okay first off, what UAI would i need to study Arts/Law at ANU?

I heard people are too scared to go there coz it's so hard, but i wanna get into the top UNI.

(and my msn english sucks i know)

I'm doing:

Adv. English /116

Legal Studies /56

French /9

Gen Maths /63

Modern History /20

Chemistry /74

(i do Chem but i'm dropping it... that or Maths... depends which is more useful)

I need realistic ranks for these.. What's a MINIMUM for me to get the UAI i need to get into Arts/Law at ANU?

And should i drop Gen Maths or Chem? (gen. maths looks a bit dodgy to me but my chem teacher for next year is CRAP)

I need to drop one so i can pick up History Extension

I heart anyone who can help me out.. i'm oh so disorganised and need some real goals.
:read:
Would you like to tell me what your school is roughly ranked about? Because it will be useful help.

UAI for Arts/Law is 95 at ANU.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It says you go to SGHS so I would say top 40 in English, top 25 in legal, top 5 in french, top 20 in maths, top 10 in modern and top 40 in chem.

btw Snape's pwnage by far the best charater.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Piratefishy said:
SGHS is ranked 84th. that's okay for a public school i guess =]
lol.

I thought it was Sydney Girls High School. Sorry my mistake. In that case your ranks need to be higher up to what I previously stated.

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Just do your best!!

whats SGHS stand for if not sydney girls...

HSC
So if we say you need to come 50th, you will stop trying once you break that barrier? Of course not, you'll continue trying to get the best rank you can. So I have never understood the logic of these sorts of posts.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kaz1 said:
lol.

I thought it was Sydney Girls High School. Sorry my mistake. In that case your ranks need to be higher up to what I previously stated.
Lol, I thought it was Sydney Girls High School as well.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, yeah - I was about to ask who you were. :p

-tal-

HSC
Piratefishy said:
Okay first off, what UAI would i need to study Arts/Law at ANU?

I heard people are too scared to go there coz it's so hard, but i wanna get into the top UNI.

(and my msn english sucks i know)

I'm doing:

Adv. English /116

Legal Studies /56

French /9

Gen Maths /63

Modern History /20

Chemistry /74

(i do Chem but i'm dropping it... that or Maths... depends which is more useful)

I need realistic ranks for these.. What's a MINIMUM for me to get the UAI i need to get into Arts/Law at ANU?

And should i drop Gen Maths or Chem? (gen. maths looks a bit dodgy to me but my chem teacher for next year is CRAP)

I need to drop one so i can pick up History Extension

I heart anyone who can help me out.. i'm oh so disorganised and need some real goals.
:read:
Ok, to be honest, I couldn't find a UAI for Arts/Law @ ANU, so I'm just going to go with an average for law: 97

To get that, I'd say you have to come ideally, 1st in everything. I don't have faith in having an "at least" rank. It makes you lose motivation once you get the bare minimum, and you pretty much want to maximise your performance.

With that said, I know how hard it is, so here goes (ie top 5% in the year for said subject):

Adv. English 6/116

Legal Studies 3/56

French 1/9

Gen Maths 3/63

Modern History 1/20

Chemistry 4/74

Drop General Maths. It's scaling is atrocious, and the time spent on this incredibly easy subject is better off spent on a harder, better scaling, challenging, worthwhile subject like History Extension etc.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-tal- said:
Ok, to be honest, I couldn't find a UAI for Arts/Law @ ANU, so I'm just going to go with an average for law: 97

To get that, I'd say you have to come ideally, 1st in everything. I don't have faith in having an "at least" rank. It makes you lose motivation once you get the bare minimum, and you pretty much want to maximise your performance.

With that said, I know how hard it is, so here goes (ie top 5% in the year for said subject):

Adv. English 6/116

Legal Studies 3/56

French 1/9

Gen Maths 3/63

Modern History 1/20

Chemistry 4/74

Drop General Maths. It's scaling is atrocious, and the time spent on this incredibly easy subject is better off spent on a harder, better scaling, challenging, worthwhile subject like History Extension etc.
Haha, that's one of the most stupid advice that I have ever seen in a while.

It's not like she wants to get 99+, top 20-30 in SGHS will be sufficient.

-tal-

HSC
lyounamu said:
Haha, that's one of the most stupid advice that I have ever seen in a while.

Oh really now? She's still needing at least a 95 lyounamu. And since chem scales better than general, why the hell not?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
-tal- said:
Oh really now? She's still needing at least a 95 lyounamu. And since chem scales better than general, why the hell not?
Droping subject based on scaling is the most stupid way to look at it. The scaling is the last resort.

If that's the case, I would have basically dropped all my subjects except MX2 and Cosmology. (considering that I am doing Cosmology)

And, to get 95, 80 scaled mark from each subject will be more than sufficient to get her 95 UAI meaning that she probably needs Band 6 in General Mathematics to hope for that mark.

Unless you know how she is cruising throughout her preliminary year, you cannot make a definite statement.

Piratefishy

HSC
N/A
okay

12 in Eng.
1 in Math
4 in Chem
2 in MH
3 in French
9 in legal.

-tal-

HSC
lyounamu said:
Droping subject based on scaling is the most stupid way to look at it. The scaling is the last resort.

If that's the case, I would have basically dropped all my subjects except MX2 and Cosmology. (considering that I am doing Cosmology)

And, to get 95, 80 scaled mark from each subject will be more than sufficient to get her 95 UAI meaning that she probably needs Band 6 in General Mathematics to hope for that mark.

Unless you know how she is cruising throughout her preliminary year, you cannot make a definite statement.
Hmm you do have a point there. I guess I was thinking far too shallowly.

And to Piratefishy, those sort of rankings should be enough to get you a pretty decent UAI. But I really do think you could improve on your english ranking. Good on ya on those rankings btw.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Piratefishy said:
okay

12 in Eng.
1 in Math
4 in Chem
2 in MH
3 in French
9 in legal.
Keep English, General Mathematics, Chemistry, Legal Studies and drop between French or Modern History.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
We don't even know what SGHS is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)