Random thought for encouragement for low achievers (1 Viewer)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
If you have a decent foundation, the requisite talent and the work ethic it is possible within reason.

I agree with mreditor in a sense that at a comprehensive school, a turnaround like that is very unlikely. At a selective school, there is a much smaller spread between students in terms of potential (i.e. the gap between the best student and the worst isnt that significant). At a school like mine (rank 300ish), there was a whole world of difference between the guy coming 120th and the guy coming 10th. I couldnt imagine some of the bottom guys in my year beating the top guys - even if they worked their butts off, they just didnt have it in them. I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just unrealistic.
I agree completely that the probabilities for such turnaround performances would be different in each case, but I reckon as long as they have a decent work ethic, desire and discipline they have a fair chance of turning it around.

mreditor16

HSC
In a non-selective school, most of the time, you have to be motivated yourself to achieve high results. However what I've noticed at my school, is that if you have a small group of high achievers, they're enough to motivate those who have potential.
exactly! it's like if its a running race -

a) if you're in the middle of the pack and it's starting to drift ahead, you're going to put in more effort to keep up with the pack

whereas

b) if you're way ahead of the remaining runners, you might slow down as you think that effort is not needed, but what actually happens is you finish the race actually in more time (i.e. with lower results).

if that analogy makes sense....

Ronaldinho10

HSC
Well my school rank is 300+ and my story stands. Obviously the ATAR i am going receive will not be to the standard of top selective schools and will probably be below average for you guys, but in my school it would considered more than a success.

enoilgam

HSC
I agree completely that the probabilities for such turnaround performances would be different in each case, but I reckon as long as they have a decent work ethic, desire and discipline they have a fair chance of turning it around.
I think that is a fair point, from what I've seen with tutoring and throughout uni/HS, most people dont perform to their potential mainly because they dont have the attitude or work ethic. I consider myself to have been pretty motivated in HS and in the four years I tutored, I dont ever believe I saw a student who had my attitude or my commitment (I know that sounds arrogant, but as a young tutor, it was hard not to view students through my own lens).

That being said, I do think people have to be realistic with their goals. Unfortunately, people arent born equal and some people will never be able to reach certain goals. If you are a student who has struggled throughout school (i.e. by state standards), then it is unlikely that you are going to achieve an ATAR of 99. You could improve a fair bit within reason.

raggiedoll

Scumbag
HSC
I got Cs and Ds in my report from Year 8 to the start of Year 11. Considered dumb by my teachers. Changed schools, stepped up my game in Year 11 Yearly Exams and Year 12. Doing fine now, will get a decent ATAR if I do as well in my externals as I did in trials (95+ estimated, no tutoring or anything). I've surprised quite a lot of people. It all comes together in the end. Well, for most people anyway.

Last edited:

MrTammoth

HSC
Here's my story

yr 7 report - C's
yr 8 report - C's and 1D
yr 9 report - 3 A's and rest B
yr 10 report - 3 A's and rest B
yr 11 report - C's and B's
yr 12 report - C's and B's

Lol k my school life has been shit as fuck.

Tbh i'm actually dumb as fuck. I have siblings who scored 97 UAI and 96 atar. Have dat pressure.

English: For english i was ranked like 70/140. Studied a bit in year 9 - 42/140. When i chose adv eng i knew i was probably going to fail. Came top 20/53 which is considered awesome at my school.

Maths: i excelled this shit but i fell behind in year 12. Stuffed up everything lol. It's a matter of just doing past papers which i did not do at the start of yr 12. For half yearly ranked 36/63. After trials ranked 15/58. But since i did shit in first half i got push back to 24/58.

Physics: lol lez be honest dis shit ain't my forte. Half yearly - 28% lel. Trials - 36%. Rank wise improved buy like 2 places lel. Strong cohort so gonna get carried.

Chemistry: Averaging 50% all year lel.

Hospitality: Ok so half yearly i fucked up and came 16/18. Lel lucky this shit ain't trials cause trials is worth 100%. ps. to anyone reading this don't ever pick hospitality risky shit in my life. Anyhow i was so devastated from HY i worked extremely hard, seemed advise from teachers. K trials came third and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place are all 1 mark from each other so we get carried in hsc op.

yeh some kids are just born smart and have special abilities such as photographic memory. But reality is majority of us are in a generation where technology is booming and this can cause disruptions to our study methods. It's the matter of building a routine during high school and focus but also have a chill. There's life after HSC and tbh you shouldn't put too much pressure on yourselves. Everyone is different and ATAR most certainly does not define who you are!

wtf am i talking about.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
For NAPLAN in yr 9 i got under the state average for everything (band 7 iirc) and school was 2 B's and C's for the rest across yr 7-10. I ended up working hard in year 11 and was ranked 1st for 4 subjects and 2 for the HSC. My atar was 97.25 which is quite far off 99 but the same principle applies.

wagig

HSC
Rank 220s school:
Didn't study from 7 - 9
Studied from term 2 of year 10 to end of 12
English mark in the 60s for year 11, english mark of 90 in year 12

As long as you learn good study techniques in year 11 (forget about the content, its not as important - except for math) and then study through year 12 you can get an ATAR of high 90s

Last edited:

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Yr 7-10: mostly C's, but JUST passing.
My maths teacher recommended me to do General Maths, my english teachers recommended I do Standard and my religion teacher told me to do catholic studies bc he thought sor would have no hope of counting towards my atar (catholic school so I have to do either sor or catholic studies)

Year 11: ended up choosing extension maths and SOR 2, got first place in both. Chose Advanced English and got 2nd. Most Outstanding Year 11 Scholarship at the end of the year

Year 12: doing 4U, and got College DUX, ATAR est. of 96.2

Don't think you can't turn yourself around, just need a bit of focus and determination ;)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Where they achieving in year 11 as well? Or just year 12?
No not really.

However, it was in year 11 that they really started to pick up the pace. Like asking for extra work, having essays marked etc

Then BAM in year 12 they were on fire.

pheelx3

l33t
HSC
Just wondering. Are there any people who did badly, bad as in getting less than 90% or even 80% in grades and not getting straight A's such as only 3A and 5Bs in throughout year 7-10 and to the extent, year 11, but suddenly turn over a new leaf, changed their study strategy and got straight A's and ranked 1st in all of their subjects in year 12? And possibly even a high 99+ ATAR?

Really curious do these kind of students exist instead of the typical getting straight A throughout high school and expected 99+.
Yes, me. Here's my story

Rank 100+ school:
Year 7:
Essentially C in everything but maths which was an A for both 1/2 and yearly

Year 8:
C in English, A in Maths, A in Science (came top 10 of cohort... have no fucking idea when I didn't study). Probs cheated. LOL
The rest were B's

Year 9:
Essentially A in everything but a B in english

Year 10:
Straight A's (Used this report to get the fuck out of the school)

Moved to (then) top 10 school. (School in top 20 now)

Year 11, 1/2 Yearly:
61/169 English
1/111 Chemistry
10/110 3u Math
10/81 Physics
15/86 Economics
54/80 Biology

Year 11 Yearly:
99/168 English
1/111 Chem
3/110 3u Maths
4/81 Physics
80/81 Economics
42/80 Biology

Year 12 Half Yearly:
61/168 English
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
2/110 Chemistry
11/71 Physics

Year 12 Yearly
40/168 English (Advanced)
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
1/106 Chemistry
4/61 Physics

I'm a tad annoyed about my physics and english marks.

ATAR Estimate: In top 20 ranks of the school, i.e. 99+
But the school is conservative and says 98.10+

But then come again, I was expecting much lower when I first came to this school. I honestly thought I'd get rekt here.
Anyway my point is, a comeback is definitely possible. Look at myself as a prime example

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, me. Here's my story

Rank 100+ school:
Year 7:

Year 8:
C in English, A in Maths, A in Science (came top 10 of cohort... have no fucking idea when I didn't study). Probs cheated. LOL
The rest were B's

Year 9:

Year 10:

Year 11, 1/2 Yearly:
61/169 English
1/111 Chemistry
10/110 3u Math
10/81 Physics
15/86 Economics
54/80 Biology

Year 11 Yearly:
99/168 English
1/111 Chem
3/110 3u Maths
4/81 Physics
80/81 Economics
42/80 Biology

Year 12 Half Yearly:
61/168 English
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
2/110 Chemistry
11/71 Physics

Year 12 Yearly
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
1/106 Chemistry
4/61 Physics

But then come again, I was expecting much lower when I first came to this school. I honestly thought I'd get rekt here.
Anyway my point is, a comeback is definitely possible. Look at myself as a prime example
Technically not 100+ in some recent years :haha:

Top 100 more like it. :p

Those Year 12 ranks are legit like 99.7+ more like it LOL

That consistency in Chemistry has me quite impressed... (and your other subs too :haha: )

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
Yr 7-10: mostly C's, but JUST passing.
My maths teacher recommended me to do General Maths, my english teachers recommended I do Standard and my religion teacher told me to do catholic studies bc he thought sor would have no hope of counting towards my atar (catholic school so I have to do either sor or catholic studies)

Year 11: ended up choosing extension maths and SOR 2, got first place in both. Chose Advanced English and got 2nd. Most Outstanding Year 11 Scholarship at the end of the year

Year 12: doing 4U, and got College DUX, ATAR est. of 96.2

Don't think you can't turn yourself around, just need a bit of focus and determination ;)
THIS IS AMAZING! It's true, don't let other define you, YOU DEFINE YOURSELF! Sometimes the comments teacher make are not a true reflection of your ability. And you're by far more amazing into picking up hard subjects despite your low grades in year 10. Usually people will just be pushed and persuaded into standard English, general maths based on your year 10 grades of Cs

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
Yes, me. Here's my story

Rank 100+ school:
Year 7:

Year 8:
The rest were B's

Year 9:

Year 10:

Year 11, 1/2 Yearly:
61/169 English
1/111 Chemistry
10/110 3u Math
10/81 Physics
15/86 Economics
54/80 Biology

Year 11 Yearly:
99/168 English
1/111 Chem
3/110 3u Maths
4/81 Physics
80/81 Economics
42/80 Biology

Year 12 Half Yearly:
61/168 English
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
2/110 Chemistry
11/71 Physics

Year 12 Yearly
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
1/106 Chemistry
4/61 Physics

Another legend here :)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
THIS IS AMAZING! It's true, don't let other define you, YOU DEFINE YOURSELF! Sometimes the comments teacher make are not a true reflection of your ability. And you're by far more amazing into picking up hard subjects despite your low grades in year 10. Usually people will just be pushed and persuaded into standard English, general maths based on your year 10 grades of Cs

The bolded bit is so true. At the end of the day, no one knows you better than YOU. OP, the fact that you even started this thread goes to show that you clearly want to succeed; use that drive to your advantage.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, me. Here's my story

Rank 100+ school:
Year 7:

Year 8:
The rest were B's

Year 9:

Year 10:

Year 11, 1/2 Yearly:
61/169 English
1/111 Chemistry
10/110 3u Math
10/81 Physics
15/86 Economics
54/80 Biology

Year 11 Yearly:
99/168 English
1/111 Chem
3/110 3u Maths
4/81 Physics
80/81 Economics
42/80 Biology

Year 12 Half Yearly:
61/168 English
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
2/110 Chemistry
11/71 Physics

Year 12 Yearly
1/59 4u Maths
1/100 3u Maths
1/106 Chemistry
4/61 Physics

Nice :p

Salayman

HSC
Dunno if my story is okay for you; theres some pretty impressive stories here haha coughpheelx3cough

I shall recount my english plight, for I was extremely bad at english (probably still am LOL)
and many people these days still seem to struggle with english for some reason

Year 7, got put in bottom eng class, didnt really learn much, didnt try, gave up on any future of doing well
I thought to myself well I'm so bad at english lol prob will do standard english when im in senior years
Never envisioned what the future would actually be like

Year 8, poor performance in yr7 led me to once again be in bottom english class, tried harder
got 37/40 for my first english assessment (amazing! over 90% for english! stark contrast to the 55% id been getting)
cool
Got a B for mid yearly (sick improvement)
i dont recall like actively studying day in day out for english (heck i didnt even study much at all i was in yr8 lol)
Got an A for english during yearly (guess it came down to paying attention in class and actively submitting work to the teacher, rather than having the teacher expect you to hand things in)

Magic happened probably
Year 9, put in top english class
A's for days

Year 10 english, A's for days (this year my school got a new headteacher who was my class, she drilled us well)
I was ranked 17th half way through year 10 when we had to select yr11 courses
I did well enough that I was able to pick english extension
so i did
And in year 11; strangely getting my year 7 teacher again for eng ext
I am just sitting there like how the heck did this ever happen
never ever on another planet would I have thought I'd be doing english extension way back in year 7
but well, there I was
yeah didn't do too well in eng ext, ultimately english wasnt my passion anyway LOL
i'd call myself a stereotypically sciency/mathsy student
so yea dropped eng ext (when i could have gone onto do eng ext 2 because headteacher let anyone in eng ext do it) in favour of the lovely 4u maths course

but still I stayed in top eng class since year 9, and I'd never ever think or dream of achieving how much I have in english back when I was in year 7
So idk just because youre really pessimistic about doing well in a course or keeping the course in the future; I'd like to suggest that you don't be so narrowminded in that regard.

when i was in yr8 in science; my school did a lot of chemistry work
I hated chemistry work so much, and i was so glad that in the future when i was a senior i wouldnt have to do any more chemistry
But idk what came over me; I started to really like chemistry in yr10 (even though I was probably learning the exact same chemistry as in years 8 and 9), so I pursued chemistry in senior years
and currently am probably tied first internally
ye also like due to uh..career aspirations that recommended the study of chemistry
I really love chemistry omg

Never be cynical

britaker

HSC
Failed English (legit 8/20 failing) in year 7

Considered dropping to standard in Y10

???

1st in Advanced and Ext 1 in Y11
1st in Ext II in Y12

My secret: Didn't want to be on 13 units in Y11. Picked up ext 1 English and ext 1 Maths so I would be on 12. Realised English had to count. #yolo.

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
Thanks for all the impressive stories. Please keep posting your impressive stories here thanks

madharris

HSC
N/A
Year 11, I failed the majority of my subjects and was ranked in the bottom half/quarter of them. Probably looking at a mid60 atar

Year 12 half yearlies: ranked top 3 of every subject (first in music, music ext, Chem)

Overall ranks (end of year 12) were top 5 in everything. And ended up getting an atar that I was really happy with :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)