Racism and discrimination (1 Viewer)

proflayton

HSC
But the thing is sometimes the ethnic person works harder the hot aussie.

I went to a pub and one hot girl was always rude and never smiled and the bar on the other side was a lovely old lady and I always walked the longer distance to get better service.

bangladesh

HSC
But the thing is sometimes the ethnic person works harder the hot aussie.

I went to a pub and one hot girl was always rude and never smiled and the bar on the other side was a lovely old lady and I always walked the longer distance to get better service.
That's a different issue tho. We are talking about why there's a difference between the chances of these two getting the job to begin with purely based on their looks/cultural background/gender.

proflayton

HSC
I am just saying the hot one or the girl or the aussiie may get a higher chance of getting the job but she doesn't neccessarily be the right candidate or have the right skillset or be a hard worker - as I have experimented by making the hot aussie girl being poorly educated - dropped out of year 10, no work experience and no certificates / qualification and having a asian or lebanese name being 1 year experienced finished year 12 having a retail certificate or hospitality certificate and the aussie always gets replies over the ethnic one getting either no replies or even replies but saying the job has been taken

fusionillusion

HSC
Honestly, why is this a surprise? Racism and discrimination have always influenced the recruitment process and frankly, they will continue to do so. It's very unfortunate, but that is just the way things are.

Also, to those who think Australia is racist, I challenge you to look for a job with a foreign name in some European or Asian countries. Good luck - at least Australia has solid EEO legislation.
You assume that European countries, I'm referring particularly to those not part of the UK, and Asian countries, have the same percentage of ethnic people living in the country, and thus, the probability of those with ethnic background to have a job is the same as it is in an English speaking nation like Australia. Obviously, this is incorrect. It is important to note that immigrants who leave their country in search of a new home are usually displaced refugees and those from war-town countries, or those looking for an opportunity to achieve greater success and make a mark on the world, and do so with the sensationalised view that an English speaking nation will be the best to grant them with that opportunity.

enoilgam

HSC
people being superficial with hiring in hospitality and retail jobs where image is probably their most important investment
oh no how surprising somebody call the feds!!!

people hire people they'd see themselves being friends with who can fit into the workplace

as well if someone seems fobby it wouldn't make sense to hire them for hospitality/retail type jobs because communication skills would be shit

what is surprising about this
This pretty much - whilst discrimination is illegal, there is actually a business case for it. Employers are reluctant to hire people who cant speak english well or have an accent because of communication concerns (this is especially the case if the employee will have to deal with customers). Whilst these applicants may have IELTS training, that isnt always a strong enough indication of a persons language competence. Cultural fit is another concern, because it is often hard for these workers to fit into the workplace (cultural fit is a key quality to look for in any applicant).

So there are actual business reasons for this discrimination - it's not like managers and recruiters sit behind their desks thinking "I hate Asian people so I'm not going to hire any". You will find that if a person with a foreign sounding name goes for an interview and they can speak perfect english and seem "westernised", then their chances of landing the job are just as good as anyone else.

You assume that European countries, I'm referring particularly to those not part of the UK, and Asian countries, have the same percentage of ethnic people living in the country, and thus, the probability of those with ethnic background to have a job is the same as it is in an English speaking nation like Australia. Obviously, this is incorrect. It is important to note that immigrants who leave their country in search of a new home are usually displaced refugees and those from war-town countries, or those looking for an opportunity to achieve greater success and make a mark on the world, and do so with the sensationalised view that an English speaking nation will be the best to grant them with that opportunity.
Even though those countries have a lower percentage of ethnic people, the discrimination is still higher because of a lack of protection and more rampant racism.

Again, just to note, I this post doesnt reflect any of my views on the topic, nor am I condoning discrimination in the workplace. I'm just offering an explanation for its occurrence.

proflayton

HSC
It sucks being skilled and a good worker but not being given a chance because of your ethnicity.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It sucks being skilled and a good worker but not being given a chance because of your ethnicity.
A lot of people are in your boat. People have adopted Caucasian names, putting a period behind their ethnic first name, etc as a matter of coping - I'm not saying these are ideal, but they are options you might be able to take.

It's actually so bad that our childhoods almost never had the Harry Potter series because publishers wouldn't read a manuscript from a woman. J. K. Rowling had to take her first name "Josephine" off her resume before someone would even consider reading her work.

proflayton

HSC
Whoa lucky for the harry potter thing. If I could redo my resume sending and phone calls I would be saying my name is Adam and put my real name in bracketts.

Look at
When Loves Comes To Town

None of the guys are picking the indian girl Tash

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Whoa lucky for the harry potter thing. If I could redo my resume sending and phone calls I would be saying my name is Adam and put my real name in bracketts.

Look at
When Loves Comes To Town

None of the guys are picking the indian girl Tash
Yep. Basically I'll never be able to get anything considered a "normal" job because of my ethnicity, smh...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)