Quintin Tarantino (1 Viewer)

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
I swear, this guy is a movie genius. his movies are great!
The first Taratino movie i watched was From Dusk Till Dawn and that was great. I got it for my mum for christmas two years ago, and i watch it once a month. it is just so great. My mum got Pulp Fiction for christmas this year, and i finally watched it today, after falling asleep on the lounge at 3am trying to watch it this morning, and it too, was great.
I dont care what other people say, but i think the Kill Bill movies are also excellent.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
I don't get what's so interesting about Pulp Fiction. I like his movies though but I need to see more of them to have a proper opinion.

0Jade0

HSC
It's Quentin But other than that....
I love his movies, Pulp Fiction is in my top 5, Resivoir Dogs in my top 10. They guy is brilliant.... I could go on all day about how much I love him...

G

Gavvvvvin

Ive only seen Resovoir Dogs. It sucked balls, and even thats saying a lot.

0Jade0

HSC
How?

For a first movie it is great. The dialoge, the cast, the soundtrack....

the first scene is a classic

Collin

HSC
N/A
One thing I hate about him is that his presentation of the artistic martial arts film Hero (with Jet Li) leads a few idiots to just somehow assume he directed it. Whenever I talk about Tarantino with people.. there's always bound to be someone who says something like 'Omg, this guy is great! His latest film Hero was my favorite'..

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
That's dumb.

QT writes fantastic characters - Mr Blonde in Resevoir Dogs, Jules in Pulp Fiction, Pai Mei (sp?) and the Bride from Kill Bill. He wrote but didn't direct True Romance, which is also a good film.

Pulp Fiction is my favourite, infact I think I know all of Samuel L. Jacksons lines in that movie because they're just so memorable. Awesomness.

wanton-wonton

HSC
transcendent said:
I don't get what's so interesting about Pulp Fiction. I like his movies though but I need to see more of them to have a proper opinion.
It's something original, something non-linear, as opposed to all the other films we see.

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
JKDDragon said:
One thing I hate about him is that his presentation of the artistic martial arts film Hero (with Jet Li) leads a few idiots to just somehow assume he directed it. Whenever I talk about Tarantino with people.. there's always bound to be someone who says something like 'Omg, this guy is great! His latest film Hero was my favorite'..
See, this is what I'm sick of. Dickhead Americans who take chinese films and make it their own. He only introduced it to America.

wanton-wonton

HSC
TimeAndTide said:
See, this is what I'm sick of. Dickhead Americans who take chinese films and make it their own. He only introduced it to America.
I would say 'appropriation'.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
There's nothing wrong with him overseeing the release of Hero to the US (and Australia too, according to the posters) - his involvement meant that the subtitle's were right, and that it wasn't edited before release, which apparently happens to alot of asian cinema. Just be happy that he liked the film enough, and had enough clout, to want to show it to an audience that otherwise probably would've never seen it.

Anyway, I've seen three out of Tarantino's four films (I haven't seen Jackie Brown, even htough it was on TV a week or two ago), and I've ben pretty impressed with all of them. His dialogue is pretty much second-to-none, and it's refreshing to see a film-maker working because they have an absolute obsession with film, not just because it's a job. People complain that he's derivative, or that he just rips off things from older genre films, but y'know what, I would never have seen any of those films, and it's still cool to see what he puts up onscreen. I don't care where it came from originally, I just enjoy what he's doing with it now.

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
TimeAndTide said:
w0rd .

HSC
alot of the music in kill bill is similar too clint eastwoods old films, just modernised alot

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
didnt he also write the script or something for Natural Born Killers?

Resivour Dogs and Pulp Fiction are 2 of my all time faves. The dialogue, characterisation, completely original plot, the fact that the characters discuss things which are not related to the plot makes it feel more life-like and original, original endings, the disjointed structure of the film (pulp fiction)

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
didnt he also write the script or something for Natural Born Killers?
he wrote the original script, but the shooting script was changed so much from his version that he was only given a 'story' credit. and personally, i prefer reservoir dogs over pulp fiction, not to say i didn't love that as well. i am a bigger fan of his writing than his directing

spiny norman

HSC
Not a Reservoir Dogs fan, personally. I thought it had potential but didn't fully realise it, and I found it to be fairly obviously amateurish.

Loved Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bills, meanwhile.

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Monkey Butler said:
There's nothing wrong with him overseeing the release of Hero to the US (and Australia too, according to the posters) - his involvement meant that the subtitle's were right, and that it wasn't edited before release, which apparently happens to alot of asian cinema. Just be happy that he liked the film enough, and had enough clout, to want to show it to an audience that otherwise probably would've never seen it.

Anyway, I've seen three out of Tarantino's four films (I haven't seen Jackie Brown, even htough it was on TV a week or two ago), and I've ben pretty impressed with all of them. His dialogue is pretty much second-to-none, and it's refreshing to see a film-maker working because they have an absolute obsession with film, not just because it's a job. People complain that he's derivative, or that he just rips off things from older genre films, but y'know what, I would never have seen any of those films, and it's still cool to see what he puts up onscreen. I don't care where it came from originally, I just enjoy what he's doing with it now.
*Backhands Monkey Butler*
They editted out 20 minutes of the film.

[EDIT]: All movies form Hong Kong/China/Taiwan have to be subtitled in Enlgish and Chinese in order to be released on VCD/DVD. So Quentin Tarantino did nothing except make the deal with Zhang Zimou[sp?] wo sell Hero to Miramax.

Last edited:

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Resevior Dogs was not brilliant however was passable

Pulp fiction kicked arse.

Jackie Brown was abit so-so.

Kill Bill vol 1 kicked arse.

Kill Bill vol 2 was good but not as good as 1.

I havn't seen any of his other movies.

Jase

HSC
ahha yeah. warehouse no.1 and warehouse no.2.

I just liked Steve Buscemi.
I could see the plot before it even developed, so it was really only the characters and the dialogue that kept it cool.

Anyway, i love tarantino movies. i also like zhang yimou's stuff. but i do hate it when people go, 'whoa. tarantino's hero is so awesome!11.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)