quick question on umat/gamsat (1 Viewer)

kyeol58

HSC
I've heard from school that UMAT was needed for dentistry courses?
but i thought only GAMSAT was needed....(according to USYD)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Umat is required for undergraduate dentistry courses such as the cousre at Charles Sturt at Orange, or Latrobe in Victoria, I think JCU's new dent course does not require umat.

Gamsat is for graduate dentistry courses, where you have already completed or are completing an undergraduate degree. Usyd is a grad dent uni, most of them such as Uq, U.Melb, etc are grad courses.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
UQ is undergrad.
UMelb was undergrad this year. i think they will not have an intake for 2010 as they are changing their course to the melbourne model (grad entry).

and i can confirm that neither JCU, CSU nor Latrobe require the umat. so depends where u want to go and what kind of umat score u get. if u get a kickass one, u can go for places like UAdel, UQ and UWA. they all require the umat, but are within the Go8 if that counts for anything to u. dentistry is stock standard everywhere so it shouldnt make a difference.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
undergrad- need umat
grad entry- gamsat
:)
good luck
incorrect. quite a few undergraduate places dont need umat. e.g. CSU, JCU and La Trobe. thats 3/7 undergraduate dental schools that dont require the umat. definitely worthwhile to sit it if u can tho.

kyeol58

HSC
thx heaps guys!
now can someone tell me where to obtain info on umat/gamsat? (someone could post them in easy-to-understand language =P)
such as when, what it is, how much it costs, level of difficulty...( In yr 12 doing 4math, chem, bio and eng std)

u see, I'm at a school where the careers adviser hasn't shown up for a meeting since yr 10 work experience :burn: therefore no one bothers to expain these things...... sigh.....

Thx in advance!

Last edited:

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
from ACER. just google "acer umat information booklet". that booklet contains all the information u will need on the umat. for gamsat it would be the same "gamsat information booklet". probably the first one that shows up. the info is all there.
i can tell u that the umat will be held this year late july/early august. it costs 160 dollars. it contains 3 sections. logical reasoning, understanding emotions, and non-verbal reasoning. u get 2.5 hours to do 110 questions which isnt even spread btw the 3 sections. its 44, 36, 30. results are published in late september.

nottellingu

HSC
Umat is required for undergraduate dentistry courses such as the cousre at Charles Sturt at Orange, or Latrobe in Victoria, I think JCU's new dent course does not require umat.

Gamsat is for graduate dentistry courses, where you have already completed or are completing an undergraduate degree. Usyd is a grad dent uni, most of them such as Uq, U.Melb, etc are grad courses.
I dont think charles stuart needs umat bro. You just got to send in a portfolio which includes a couple of long response questions. Oh and the uai :)

nottellingu

HSC
incorrect. quite a few undergraduate places dont need umat. e.g. CSU, JCU and La Trobe. thats 3/7 undergraduate dental schools that dont require the umat. definitely worthwhile to sit it if u can tho.
La Trobe will need umat from now on!

kyeol58

HSC
thanks guys! and yeah, the booklet does have everything. :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)