quick q bout alkene/alkane reactivity (1 Viewer)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
when u react cyclohexane with bromine water, do u get bromo-cyclohexane and HBr or do you get 1,2-dibromocyclohexane and hydrogen?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
cyclohexane does not react with bromine water remember? only chclohexENE does :p
and in that case the first scenario is the one which occurs

N

ND

In the presence of UV light it reacts with it by substitution (IIRC).

edit: and yep i think it's the 1st one.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
In the presence of UV light it reacts with it by substitution (IIRC).
really how is that so? i thought cycloalkane was completely unreactive, uv light or no uv light

Jaded Member
HSC
are cycloalkanes different to regular alkanes? cuz regular alkanes react w/ uv.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
they do? hmmm an enigma to me...wheres shannon when u need her?

anyhows cycloalkanes have similar properties to alkanes except they differ saturucturally- the ends of an alkane chain link back onto itself to form a ring structure

inasero

Reborn
HSC
hey yewon r ppl buying heaps of and for you? hehe i don't really like either but my mum is forcing me to eat them ^^;

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
both chemicals react...
but in class we didn't do cyclohexane reacting under UV light (sunlight)...

yewon i forget the answer to your original question but gut instincts tell me its the first option, not the second.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
o i c i c...john mu's summary says that the alkanes do react in presence of uv light, albeit very slowly

Jaded Member
HSC
yes i know alkanes react.. it's jus u said cycloalkanes didnt'.. and it got me confused.. okay.. so cyclohexane will react wit bromine water in presence of uv, if slowly, to form bromocyclohexane and HBr...

hehehe... they're not forcing me to eat it.. but family friends and stuff keep bringing the stuff over.. i ate some... =P i like , not ew ew ew...
yeh.. but i'm staying away from bananas.. you stay away from bananas too, young man! ̲ ! haha...

mercury

.:: Hg ::.
HSC
LOL :p oops.... came too late.

Apart from some exceptions, alicyclic hydrocarbons go thru same reactions as the open-chain ones. Hmm..... they react VERY VERY slowly... and um in the case of cyclohexane, even if the substitution reaction does occur, my belief is it wont' be very stable. Cyclohexane itself, unlike cyclopropane and the smaller ones, is free of angle strain and torsional strain. So if you suddenly chuck this huge bromine atom onto it... even if the reaction does occur, the product will be very unstable as the conformation of cyclohexane would have to change, to adjust to the additional strain.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
man, i wouldn't mind regular but this ȣڿ is just...(o_O); it tastes so weird...

and i've been blending alotta banana milkshakes lately, average 3 a day...plenty of carbos and all the vitamins u need :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
so in english what ur saying is that cyclohexane won't usually react with bromine water right?

mercury

HSC
So in answer to the original question, macroscopically, u r likely not to see much happening :p And cycloalkanes undergo substitution reactions just like aliphatic alkanes, so it would unlikely to be 1,2-dibromocyclohexane and hydrogen

Jaded Member
HSC
coolies =)
so wit propanes, butanes etc, would u see any decolourisation if exposed to uv light?

mercury

HSC
oh dear, i do type slow, dont' i, everyone's online.

in short: you just won't see much happening.

Hmm, for butanes and propanes and stuff, if u expose them to light long enough, you'll see something happening, it's damn slow.
we did it in class, and after two days, u could still hardly see much. (we did it with hexane)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
eh take a chill pill yewon :) i dont think u have to know that deep

Jaded Member
HSC
sheesh.. u left for two days? we did it outside cuz it stank up the room so much =P but we were in the sun.. and the hexane didn't do anything.. so i guess it all fits =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)