Questions from interested 08ers. (1 Viewer)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Im back from bannage.
So How big is the ANU campus?

It's so spread out.
like buildings all over the place. Not like other unis where there's a big block of land with all the buildings there.

ANU is like many little blocks of land scattered all over the place.

Haven't decided if thats a positive or negative yet. Waiting for the open day to see it first.

Evilo

HSC
anu is one block of land- and its BIG! like everything is walking distance apart - but its big! with lots of trees. http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/
generally - for first year most of the lectures are near union court. As the classes get smaller, you move into smaller lecture theatres around campus. I really like the campus - It's spread out and its not a 'cement city' like other unis. Thats my opinion though.

Everything is on campus. Computer stores, 3 banks! a mobile store, multiple libraries, stores, post offices, food, bars, liquor stores, doctor & pharmacy, cafes, hairdressers, resturants!... i mean if you wanted to - you wouldn't even need to leave campus! lol. Having said that the city is a 5-10min walk from union court - i.e. westfield/shops/clubs/everything else.

However, ANU owns a coastal campus for field trips at a beach called Kioloa. Depending on what courses you do you *may*" have a field trip down there.
http://kioloa.anu.edu.au/

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=162055&highlight=photos
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=176317&highlight=photos

Hope this helps.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Im back from bannage.

It's so spread out.
like buildings all over the place. Not like other unis where there's a big block of land with all the buildings there.

Haven't decided if thats a positive or negative yet. Waiting for the open day to see it first.
LOL :rolleyes:

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
Im back from bannage.

It's so spread out.

i reckon you could do a 4-year degree and only know 20% of ANU. so far the longest distance i've had to ever walk in my degree was to the law faculty, and this was because i was a retarded first year who picked a tutorial which was unnecessarily far away from my previous class (me - DURRR THERE'S 5 TUTES AVAILABLE 30 SECONDS WALK FROM MANNING CLARK SO I'LL JUST CHOOSE THE ONE THAT'S A 10 MINUTE WALK). really, most of ANU's buildings are for non-undergrads, so for research etc.

Evilo said:
Everything is on campus. Computer stores, 3 banks! a mobile store, multiple libraries, stores, post offices, food, bars, liquor stores, doctor & pharmacy, cafes, hairdressers, resturants!... i mean if you wanted to - you wouldn't even need to leave campus! lol.
yeah but ANU's retail stores suck ;) the computer store's a crock, and so is the 3 shop which i never see more than 4 people in at a time

Evilo

HSC
lol but everyone argues you can ALWAYS get something elsewhere for cheaper - just depends if you want to travel. For conveniece/desperation i'd go there, otherwise id take the 20min walk to officeworks braddon.

GreatRabbitWall

HSC
union court shops are shite. anu union is shite. get a bike and get into the city in 10min and buy some real stuff and realistic prices. (i should clarify: this does not include supabarn, that great stinking place of a rip off)

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
GreatRabbitWall said:
union court shops are shite. anu union is shite. get a bike and get into the city in 10min and buy some real stuff and realistic prices. (i should clarify: this does not include supabarn, that great stinking place of a rip off)
Honestly, when was the last time you rode into civic. You drove to union court from johns last week! :D

GreatRabbitWall

HSC
Its cos you're jealous evilo that you're still stuck on your Loser plates.

And you're also jealous that the reason i drove there was to pick up my big and heavy new steering wheel from the post office (amongst other things).

It's alright to be jealous - I'm just better than you :p

Oh and I walk to work in civic so yeah.:santa: (thats just random)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Here's another perspective on Canberra. Hope it helps any other 08er considering ANU.

Treasury said:
Ask any Canberran and they'll tell you that Canberra is a great place to live, with a fantastic lifestyle!
Canberra offers all the services and lifestyle of a world-class capital city - from an excellent transport network, great shopping and a stylish café and restaurant culture! There's also more to Canberra than politics and Parliament House. Canberra has a wide range of sporting events and competitions, lots of open space and a year-round program of special events - from Summernats to Floriade, Multicultural Festival to the Wine Harvest Festival.
Canberra is also home to many of Australia's premier cultural attractions - the National Gallery, the Australian War Memorial and the National Museum with a range of exhibitions and performances.
In your first year in Canberra, the Social Network of Graduates (SNoG) also helps you explore Canberra and develop friends and networks across the public service. SNoG is run by graduates from different government departments and they organises a range of events and activities that cover all interests, whether they be sports, arts, culture or sampling Canberra's nightlife.
While Canberra has plenty to keep you occupied its also close to the beach, snow fields and Sydney. Thredbo and Jindabyne are just a couple of hours easy drive from Canberra and offer a range of year round activities. The official opening of the ski season is the second weekend in June and it runs through to the end of September or try a hike to the top of Mount Kosciusko during summer.
The beautiful south coast of NSW is also an easy drive from Canberra - a great place to spend some time at the beach, fishing, bushwalking and enjoying the world's best oysters.
Whatever you want to do, Canberra offers it all!
Information about Canberra and what it offers to visitors and residents can be found at the following websites:

source: http://graduates.treasury.gov.au/content/beckons.asp?NavID=006

Last edited:

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
yep, theres anu interhall sports shield (played between johns (who have won it 11 years straight) , b&g, burgmann etc etc) and they play league.

Also - lunchtime touch rugby (run through the ANU sports and rec. centre)

There are also ANU rugby (union i think) - but i honestly don't know much about it. Someone who plays rugby feel free to correct me.

beccygoddess

HSC
I went to the open day yesterday- it was really useful, but i seem to have more questions than when I started.
How hard is it to get a job, once you move there? And, when I go home at the end of the semester (in the 12 weeks that the contract for accommodation doesn't cover) what is the general attitude of employers? Like will they get pissed if I tell them I want to take 12 weeks off a year?
And, for those of you living at the uni, how do you afford it? Will a part time job cover most expenses, or do you have to rely on centrelink or your parents as well?
Thanks

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
How hard is it to get a job, once you move there?
Not hard at all - if you wan't one (and you're active about it), you can probably get one. I don't know anyone who wants a job and hasn't got one.

And, when I go home at the end of the semester (in the 12 weeks that the contract for accommodation doesn't cover) what is the general attitude of employers? Like will they get pissed if I tell them I want to take 12 weeks off a year?
someone else might need to answer that one - i think it just depends on your employer, but most jobs are on a casual basis, and locals would probably want to work more during the holidays.

And, for those of you living at the uni, how do you afford it?

in my case the parents cover it, but some people are able to get centrelink, others can get loans from their parents. Some people get a combination of the above and need to work too. Others use money saved in their gap year to pay for it.

yosemite sam

HSC
I went down to Canberra for the open day too and one thing i did notice at the Canberra Centre was that there were HEAPS of places that needed staff. So if you've got some retail experience then it wouldnt be hard to get a job near uni.

My question: what do i write on my application form? Why should they let me into B&G?

khing

King and Tyrant
HSC
Davo1111 said:
And, when I go home at the end of the semester (in the 12 weeks that the contract for accommodation doesn't cover) what is the general attitude of employers? Like will they get pissed if I tell them I want to take 12 weeks off a year?
someone else might need to answer that one - i think it just depends on your employer, but most jobs are on a casual basis, and locals would probably want to work more during the holidays.
The answer to this would depend on your employer. The Uni has a website listing employers who are student-friendly, in the sense that they are well and truly aware that they are hiring university students, and are able to make some accommodation for holidays and exams. As for the rest, you may be unlucky and get a rubbish employer, but generally speaking (from my own experiences), if your employer is well aware, and you have given notice well in advance of your intentions, most of them will have some leeway.

FWIW, YMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)