Questions from interested 08ers. (1 Viewer)

xsjado

HSC
Hi,

Are there any buses/trains that go straight from Canberra to Sydney?
If so, how much do they cost and how frequently do they come?

Also, how easy is it to find part-time work in Canberra?

Evilo

HSC
Murrays/Greyhound do busses that go from Central Station to the Jollimont Centre (n the middle on canberra centre). They cost around $25, but you can get them as low as $15 if you book them 3 weeks in advance.
They do at least 3 trips to canberra a day ... each.

I dont like the train because the canberra station is on the outskirts of canberra.

Part time work - pretty easy, you just have to be proactive.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
xsjado said:
Also, how easy is it to find part-time work in Canberra?
Depends on what you want to do, there's always sh!t-kicking jobs around. Money is money at the end of the day.

xsjado

HSC
Evilo said:
Murrays/Greyhound do busses that go from Central Station to the Jollimont Centre (n the middle on canberra centre). They cost around $25, but you can get them as low as $15 if you book them 3 weeks in advance.
They do at least 3 trips to canberra a day ... each.
thanks a lot Evilo. Murrays is really expensive.
http://www.murrays.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=9#canbtosyd
Are Uni students listed under Concession?
Or is that just high school kids?

The $15 trip is only until september though.
http://www.greyhound.com.au/Booking...n=SYDNEY CENTRAL STATION&destination=CANBERRA

On a totally different note.
Are tutorials or lectures ever on weekends?

And also, is it true that during the semester breaks the colleges rent the rooms out to sporting teams and everyone has to find somewhere else to stay?

EDIT: how far away is the train station from B&G or the other colleges? I don't own a car so I'm going to have to use a lot of public transport..

or my bike..

Last edited:

Sammy-Blue

HSC
xsjado said:
And also, is it true that during the semester breaks the colleges rent the rooms out to sporting teams and everyone has to find somewhere else to stay?

EDIT: how far away is the train station from B&G or the other colleges? I don't own a car so I'm going to have to use a lot of public transport..

or my bike..
No renting of rooms without prior consent, and you are reimbursed for the time your room is in use. All colleges bar Fenner on ANU campus. Have a look at google maps, it's not a journey to get to campus from the station.

Evilo

HSC
xsjado said:
thanks a lot Evilo. Murrays is really expensive.
enter you student concession card (you'll get one too when you come to ANU) and i usually have to pay $24-26 on murrays.
- Just make sure you buy 2 singles, not a return if you're coming back (its chaper that way on greyhounds
- search by ticket price.

Murrays said:
SYDNEY - CENTRAL RAI-CANBERRA - JOL* Sun 20/07/2008 9:00am 12:30pm $25.00
greyhound said:
$26.00 Special GX200 sydney central station 08:00 (8:00 AM)
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 canberra 11:45 (11:45 AM)
wasn't that hard ;)

On a totally different note.
Are tutorials or lectures ever on weekends?
not for undergrad (that i know of)

no, but you may* have the option of "selling" your room back to the college so they can rent it out.

*they didn't do it this year, but they did last year.

train station is in the middle of no-where! Canberra operates on a bus system. There is a bus that goes down daley road (stops outside all the halls) and then goes into the city), or you can take the short 15min walk into the city bus terminal and take any bus from there. Transport hasn't been a problem, especially if you lve on campus - everything is a short walk away.

or my bike..

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
iv never even been to the canberra train station.. i didnt even know they had one until not so long ago...

Evilo

HSC
It's in kingston (inner south).

Anyway, its just easier to take the bus. You can even walk from Jollimont to the halls and colleges (if your bag isnt too heavy)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
It's in kingston (inner south).

Anyway, its just easier to take the bus. You can even walk from Jollimont to the halls and colleges (if your bag isnt too heavy)
i'd say it's probably a 4km walk from jollimont centre to the halls.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
There is an opportunity for me to make money here but I can't see it clearly yet.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
jas0nt said:
i'd say it's probably a 4km walk from jollimont centre to the halls.
dude its like 1.7km, and thats walking around anu (looked it up on whereis). Probably 1.5 if you cut through.

15min walk, or some more drinks next time i'm out - i know which one i'd choose/

Evilo

HSC
Sammy-Blue said:
There is an oppurtunity for me to make money here but I can't see it clearly yet.
If you call up ANU, on your first day they will pick you up from Jollimont/the airport for free.

Evilo

HSC
i was going to question your definition of "better". but then i realised you drive me to dominoes often - so ill stfu. :p

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
Evilo said:
dude its like 1.7km, and thats walking around anu (looked it up on whereis). Probably 1.5 if you cut through.
well i'll be chuggered.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)