question about usyd post-grad dentistry (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
I'm hoping to do dentistry as it is one of my passion ever since i was little lol

well i read on the website that you need a GPA of at least 4.5 which is about a pass mark, below a credit.
now, does it really matter whether you get a pass, credit, D, HD or as long as you have a GPA of 4.5+ . then it simply mean your eligible to do dentistry @ usyd and the way you can get an interview is based on your GAMSAT marks?

USyd usually has a cut-off mark for gamsat so i was wondering if that's the way it works for ppl who are offered interviews or does your GPA have some weighing in their final decision for places offered. for eg. weighin- GPA-20%

or would the only final weighing be GAMSAT & interview only?

I tried calling the dentistry faculty, but for some reason, i couldnt get in contact with them.

sparkerasp

HSC
well i read on the website that you need a GPA of at least 4.5 which is about a pass mark, below a credit.
It's actually 4.0 according to ACER and Dentistry Faculty.
GAMSAT - How to calculate your GPA
The Bachelor of Dentistry - Faculty of Dentistry - The University of Sydney (~ halfway down)
now, does it really matter whether you get a pass, credit, D, HD or as long as you have a GPA of 4.5+
From what I've heard, so as long as you don't fail anything and you get a GPA of at least 4.0 then yes, you are eligible.
USyd usually has a cut-off mark for gamsat so i was wondering if that's the way it works for ppl who are offered interviews or does your GPA have some weighing in their final decision for places offered. for eg. weighin- GPA-20%
I'm quite sure that when they choose you for an interview, it's a combination of your GPA (at least 4.0) and GAMSAT (cut off of around 60). For the final decision the interview (MMI) is used, BUT the GAMSAT mark is used if the selection board aren't convinced.

This powerpoint should clear it up. Admission information is on slides 31 - 34.
http://www.videos.med.usyd.edu.au/seminars/info_night/2008_speaker_1/2008_speaker_1.ppt

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I'm quite sure that when they choose you for an interview, it's a combination of your GPA (at least 4.0) and GAMSAT (cut off of around 60). For the final decision the interview (MMI) is used, BUT the GAMSAT mark is used if the selection board aren't convinced.

This powerpoint should clear it up. Admission information is on slides 31 - 34.
http://www.videos.med.usyd.edu.au/seminars/info_night/2008_speaker_1/2008_speaker_1.ppt
oh, so basically the GPA and GAMSAT is a hurdle for eligibility to apply, and your performance in the interview is used for the final selection and perhaps GAMSAT if required, if i understood that correctly.

Thank you so much for clearing things up, i was worried that i wouldn't be able to maintain a distinction or get a high GAMSAT score, but knowing that as long as i pass them, then all i need is to ace the interview.

thanks guys!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Repped Sparkerasp

oh, so basically the GPA and GAMSAT is a hurdle for eligibility to apply, and your performance in the interview is used for the final selection and perhaps GAMSAT if required, if i understood that correctly.

Thank you so much for clearing things up, i was worried that i wouldn't be able to maintain a distinction or get a high GAMSAT score, but knowing that as long as i pass them, then all i need is to ace the interview.

thanks guys!
GPA and GAMSAT are used as a hurdle to get an interview, based on demand and your performance in both.

No it appears you will still need to do well in both ("total average GPA must be equal to or greater then 4") to gain an interview in the first place, after that it's pretty much based on the interview. Im not too sure if this applied to dent (sorry I only really know about undergrad and gred med), but ACER scales your GPA up e.g. 4 becomes 4.5, 5 becomes 5.75 and 6 becomes 6.75, HD or 7 remains unchanged. Please look at the acer booklet link posted in sparkerasp's post.

Rafe14

HSC
No it appears you will still need to do well in both ("total average GPA must be equal to or greater then 4") to gain an interview in the first place, after that it's pretty much based on the interview. Im not too sure if this applied to dent (sorry I only really know about undergrad and gred med), but ACER scales your GPA up e.g. 4 becomes 4.5, 5 becomes 5.75 and 6 becomes 6.75, HD or 7 remains unchanged. Please look at the acer booklet link posted in sparkerasp's post.
Isn't a GPA of 4 almost equivalent to a pass?

i heard that for med Usyd, u need at least a credit and the cut-off for gamsat is same as dent
then the selection is 50/50 for GAMSAT and interview
whereas with dent, its 100 interview which isn't the most fairest system, when ppl who do extremely well in GAMSAT is considered useless and the interview shows no real correlation to how they will perform in dent.

luxslash89

HSC
whereas with dent, its 100 interview which isn't the most fairest system, when ppl who do extremely well in GAMSAT is considered useless and the interview shows no real correlation to how they will perform in dent.
u forgot to mention UMAT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)