question about length of essay on the writing booklet (1 Viewer)

megaman64

HSC
how long is a 1-1.1k word essay on the hsc writing booklets? Does this go over to the 2nd booklet? and if so, are 2 booklets given on the desk or do you have to ask for them?

Thanks

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
My essays are all between 950~1100 and take 8-9 BoS pages to write out with roughly 6-9 words a line depending on length. I need 3 booklets for EACH essay to write them all out since each booklet is 3 pages long. I hope to god they have 2 booklets per essay on the desk otherwise I'm going to have my hand up every 10 minutes... Sounds like you could need the same. 3 booklets an essay.

You can practise yourself by printing this off and giving it a go:

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/pdf_doc/2012-hsc-sample-writing-booklet.pdf

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
i thought it was 8 pages a booklet
So did I until I saw this recent sample with the box at the end of every 3rd page and accelerated Society & Culture last year in which the booklets were also 3 pages long. Technically it would make no difference if it's 8 pages a booklet anyway since the line spacing is the same on every page. I would still say it's 8-10 pages for a 1-1.1k essay.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
About two years ago they changed the booklets to the new three page ones - one A3 sheet folded in the middle with the front having all the same stuff as on the old 4/8 page booklets but now only three writing pages.

This is because they need this structure, I believe, for the scanning of exam booklets - no staples so a simple in and out of each page rather than removing staples and then doing each booklet page by page.

marty mcfly

HSC
Really? I did an HSC exam last year and we used the 4 page booklets

D94

HSC
N/A
Really? I did an HSC exam last year and we used the 4 page booklets
Which subject was that? I did a fair few different subjects and we used the A3 page (i.e. 3 writing sides + 1 cover).

D94

HSC
N/A
Ancient history
I don't see why Ancient would be different to Modern or Extension (I did both), so that's a bit strange. Maybe they just ran out of the new booklets...

habitres

HSC
I believe so yes. Probably a smart idea as the ladies are usually slow and running out of paper disrupts your flow entirely.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In trials I think 1000-1100 took me five pages in the BOS 3 page booklets. No idea how long my Ext 1 essay was where I used three booklets haha!

madharris

HSC
N/A
I used 2.5 pages for ~1100 words in the trials. Depends how big or small you write

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)