• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question about Educational Access Scheme (1 Viewer)

Numbers

Banned
HSC
I received my form back yesterday from my welfare teacher after she had filled it out so that I can lodge it. Under the subheading: Affect of impact, she ticked 'slight'. Does that mean my chances of gaining disadvantage points are small?

sleepplease

HSC
I dont know, but it would seem so. As in someone who's situation is having a "severe" impact on their ability to study would obviously get preference over someone who is "slightly" impacted..

Roga

HSC
I got ticked for 'considerable' on mine

erm

HSC
i got two "a great deal"s and one "considerable".

but it seems my career advisor lacks simple writing skills. His statement is a bit ambiguous/poorly worded (which is a bit annoying since i gave all the information required about my situation).

Numbers

Banned
HSC
erm said:
i got two "a great deal"s and one "considerable".

but it seems my career advisor lacks simple writing skills. His statement is a bit ambiguous/poorly worded (which is a bit annoying since i gave all the information required about my situation).
wow, you submitted 3 codes?

hopefully i get SOME extra points.

Roga

HSC
What codes did you submit in? I submitted H01A - death of family member

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
The careers advisor or appointed person at the school is supposed to give the schools opinion, but yeah it doesn't help if they put down 'slightly'. Hopefully the officer at UAC looks at your supporting documentation thouroughly.

EAS is not a pretty thing to fill out, esp with getting documentation, etc.

Numbers You don't get points, universities get the codes and the severity of your claims in EAS through uac, and will decide on their own system's such as lowering the entry by up to 5 or up to 10 points, some uni's such as Usyd with the broadway scheme also have points but a maximum quota of EAS students, and for certain codes, etc, etc. Some uni's don't accept certain codes such as athletes schemes and EAS is excluded from medicine except at UNSW, etc.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
yep, i also submitted death of a family member. not sure of the exact code though.

Roga

HSC
Numbers said:
yep, i also submitted death of a family member. not sure of the exact code though.
Same as mine - H01A

erm

HSC
Wooz said:
you sure got that right. Bloody annoying thing.

Numbers

Banned
HSC
Wooz said:
The careers advisor or appointed person at the school is supposed to give the schools opinion, but yeah it doesn't help if they put down 'slightly'. Hopefully the officer at UAC looks at your supporting documentation thouroughly.

Numbers You don't get points, universities get the codes and the severity of your claims in EAS through uac, and will decide on their own system's such as lowering the entry by up to 5 or up to 10 points, some uni's such as Usyd with the broadway scheme also have points but a maximum quota of EAS students, and for certain codes, etc, etc. Some uni's don't accept certain codes such as athletes schemes and EAS is excluded from medicine except at UNSW, etc.
thanks for that player. really good stuff.

milliclaire

HSC
Does anybody know if you actually find out wether or not your EAS application has been approved or denied?

Peteage

HSC
Sorry, I also am appealing through EAS, do you mean that you will find out how many extra points you are entitle to in early december?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Numbers said:
I received my form back yesterday from my welfare teacher after she had filled it out so that I can lodge it. Under the subheading: Affect of impact, she ticked 'slight'. Does that mean my chances of gaining disadvantage points are small?
That's a bit unfair, isn't it?

My friend is coming first in English (Advanced) at the moment but he came to Australia only 3 years ago and he apparently got "slight"...that's just not right in my opinion...It still had a grave impact, it's just that he overcame that adversity through hard work.

erm

HSC
milliclaire said:
Does anybody know if you actually find out wether or not your EAS application has been approved or denied?
didn't you read the booklet?

Peteage

HSC
cookieeater said:
No you don't, as the universities that send out eligibility letters are the ones which don't give bonus points but have a limited quota of EAS places per course (so the cut off for each course for those in their scheme will be lower, how low depends on the course). That means they don't give bonus points but accept you into their scheme where you will be eligible for special consideration. So the letter will just inform you if you have been accepted into their respective access schemes.
Thanks, I understand what your saying. UTS says on their website "If you are eligible you will be placed in the pool with other eligible inpUTS applicants. Places reserved for inpUTS applicants in UTS courses are then allocated on the basis of academic merit. If you receive a letter stating you are eligible but don't receive an offer, it is because other inpUTS-eligible students with a higher UAI have taken the available inpUTS places"

Does this mean that everyone in the inpUTS pool are acceped on the highest UAI's which fill the quota. Or does it also take into account the severity of your disadvantage?

Black Hawker

HSC
cookieeater said:
No you don't, as the universities that send out eligibility letters are the ones which don't give bonus points but have a limited quota of EAS places per course (so the cut off for each course for those in their scheme will be lower, how low depends on the course). That means they don't give bonus points but accept you into their scheme where you will be eligible for special consideration. So the letter will just inform you if you have been accepted into their respective access schemes.
Do you know when they inform people whether they've been accepted into the scheme or not?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)