Query on Vacation Work (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
seremify007 said:
ROFL I considered finance as something later on... but I'd rather do something like Real Estate development/planning if I ever deviated from Audit- Either way though, it fits me perfectly since I'm doing Resources/Services/Govt. (which includes construction).
Mm, its definately a nice field to go into.
Although, R.E Finance as a subj. is pretty dull.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I was planning on majoring in Finance with the things realted to Corporate Finance, Hedging and Int'l finance... I'm not sure if Real Estate is the word- but I'm hoping to work with companies which help finance the construction of skyscrapers, office towers, etc.. That bit isn't really definite, but I definitely want to do Finance.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Am I like the only person working in Audit with some interest in the area? Seems all the people at uni are doing it as a "job" to get their CA, then go off to some Finance area. It's a shame though...how everyone puts down an accounting job as a last resort

At least I'll know what my pay will be like in the years to come (provided I get the necessary promotions on time..)

Shawny

surely minai ur more interested in say wealth and investment management than say consolidating minority interest man

SURELY!

to me finance reads like tom clancy and accounting reads like french

man
120k after a few yrs, that is a lotta money......

always thought i'd end up some poor arse earning 50k a yr after 10yrs on the job

with a commerce degree. I mean since its so bloody popular nowdays, popular as in everyone has a god damn commerce degree(engineering/com is even offered wtf !?)

Last edited:

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Minai said:
Am I like the only person working in Audit with some interest in the area? Seems all the people at uni are doing it as a "job" to get their CA, then go off to some Finance area. It's a shame though...how everyone puts down an accounting job as a last resort
I'll think that alot of accountant students "aim" for the big4 and CA etc. I mean, its natural for an accountant student to DO the requirements for CA (those 4 legt subjs), before even deciding they want to do CA when they grad.
No finance student ever thinks, Oh, need to do a Marketingg subj, and a Management subject to gain AIBF membership. (Then again, its probably not as vital as CA to an accountant)

However, like myself, if you know accounting is not your "forte" you wouldn't aim for CA and just leave that option as a backup. :)

Shawny said:
surely minai ur more interested in say wealth and investment management than say consolidating minority interest man
lol. Comon....Even i get a kick outa consolidating MI and Indirect MI lol :p ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Minai said:

At least I'll know what my pay will be like in the years to come (provided I get the necessary promotions on time..)
I'm quite interested in Audit- I like the ideas behind it- checking the books, seeing how companies legitimately restructure their accounts, ensuring that they aren't outright lying, etc.., but I'm also interested to see where I can apply it to other areas. My sister is in the same firm as me (albeit in the UK office) and she's applying her audit skills to help detect fraud/misuse of funds- audit is like the groundwork for a lot of other accounting skills. I wouldn't mind seeing if I could use audit skills and apply things which I learnt from watching how companies work, to helping other companies use similar techniques to grow and so on...

But then in the end, we'll see =] If I wasn't interested in accounting then I wouldn't waste my time pursuing CA, and if I wasn't interested in auditing, I could've picked some other branch of accounting~ I think most of the people who put accounting down as a 'last resort' won't get offered a job in the Big4- some of my peers who thought that a Big4 cadetship was 'guaranteed' because of our school name were shocked when they realised that they didn't get in- not that they were even interested in accepting it. I will say that I do know a couple of ppl who still got in, but even though they signed the contract, have no intentions of pursuing careers in accounting but rather are using it as a backup in case they don't get into Med or whatever. I couldn't help but feel that's a tad selfish as there are plenty of people out there who really wanted to do accounting, yet those who got those positions have no intention of taking them.

I guess that's life. And I should probably stop ranting now!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Shawny said:
man
120k after a few yrs, that is a lotta money......

always thought i'd end up some poor arse earning 50k a yr after 10yrs on the job
I'm inclined to agree with you- you gotta admit, Commerce seems to be the 'thing' atm in terms of job prospects.

with a commerce degree. I mean since its so bloody popular nowdays, popular as in everyone has a god damn commerce degree(engineering/com is even offered wtf !?)
I'm guessing if you had engineer/commerce then you'd have the skills to organise and build something, and then the financial knowledge on how to raise capital, minimise expenses, float on the stock exchange, do the accounting, run the business, etc... Commerce seems to be quite useful in a lot of contexts.

ND

HSC
seremify007 said:
I'm guessing if you had engineer/commerce then you'd have the skills to organise and build something, and then the financial knowledge on how to raise capital, minimise expenses, float on the stock exchange, do the accounting, run the business, etc... Commerce seems to be quite useful in a lot of contexts.
You wouldn't have one person doing all that. BCom/BEng would probably be useful for someone looking to get into management of a company that deals in something related to engineering, or a venture capitalist for funds focusing on technology. People with engineering degrees can also get into traditional finance roles because of the quantitative nature of the degree.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you ran a small company then it could be helpful; or if you were wanted to get a job in a job such as an accountant of a construction company, then it'd also be helpful?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
...And who said Arts degrees couldn't get your on the board of directors at an IB firm.. ;)

Sharpshooter

Random Hobo
HSC
for the engo managers apart from them having an advantage in quantative based areas of work i think its also because *apparently* engineering develops your skills in problem solving analysis etc. but when one forgets money and thinks just about enjoyment i think we are/should all be arts students at heart :)

also for anyone with experience in audit, what is the reason for its boring stigma?> a few cadet buddies note there can often be a 'tick the box' sort of issue but they may be doing dif jobs considering they are only 1st yrs? or "assistant accountant"s or whatever their business cards say :D

also same deal with tax? though thats more backroom since your not on the road seeing clients etc. also i seem to know many many com/law students with majors in acct going into tax

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I dunno.. my sister said a lot of ppl don't take audit seriously but she always took extra special care with clients and analysed everything. Of course by definition, audit isn't really that exciting because you're just double-checking someone else's figures, but apparently there is always that little bit of uncertainty about something which inspires investigation. Audit skills are also useful when you move onto things like due diligence and investigating fraud-

As for the title- as my sig says, I'm an "undergraduate consultant"... what a nice way to say "i'm not university-qualified but you're payin for my advice". Apparently first year cadets do a lot more work nowadays than they did in the past- I remember in my sister's time she just ran around doing work-experience-type jobs at first, but then my other mate said that the cadet chargeout rate is greatly increased now so things have changed a bit.. but it all depends on your firm I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)