Public V Private .. in marking?? (1 Viewer)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I think that private schools seem to scale better in the hsc compared to public schools, but that is a huge generalisation. Scaling is really complicated but if your year goes better at your school, you will get scaled up, and private school kids GENERALLY do better.
Schools don't scale. Subject marks scale. Also, I go to a public school, and they mark pretty damn hard.

asdfpoiu

HSC
well public is public whether selective or not
and if you're not getting 100s then you know you're not working hard enough whether your school marks easily or not :)

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I think that private schools seem to scale better in the hsc compared to public schools, but that is a huge generalisation. Scaling is really complicated but if your year goes better at your school, you will get scaled up, and private school kids GENERALLY do better.
Because they will write essays for the kids and "Oh when entering marks I'll round that 78.1 to 79!"

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
i thought the only difference between public and private was the amount of money you have
its got nothing to do with one's ability, it's about prestige. most people i no that go to private schools are stuck up pricks. they think that everything in life will just be handed to them. but that's just me, not too sure about everyone else...

K

khorne

Why would you go to a private school even if you could pay?! I mean firstly, you waste 16000 or so a year, before you even get to uni! And then, you're privatising education, which is bad generally. Public education ftw.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Why would you go to a private school even if you could pay?! I mean firstly, you waste 16000 or so a year, before you even get to uni! And then, you're privatising education, which is bad generally. Public education ftw.
I agree, private schools are not even worth anyone's hard earned money.
Exactly the same as buying your way out of incompetence.
I pity the fool who attends a private school.
University is always more prestigious than any private school.
The transition is even better, moving from a dusty farm of a school to a renowned university.

Last edited:

phuck

HSC
I agree, private schools are not even worth anyone's hard earned money.
Exactly the same as buying your way out of incompetence.
I pity the fool who attends a private school.
University is always more prestigious than any private school.
The transition is even better, moving from a dusty farm of a school to a renowned university.
private school = better facilities, generally better teachers, sports + co-curriculurs.

but onto the topic,
sometimes public schools mark easier for better retention rates, but it depends on the school.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Quit the stereotyping. :p It depends on which school you go to. Not all private schools mark hard; particularly the ones from the lower end of the list.

If you don't think you are getting the marks you deserve, work harder and write better answers in the HSC. Just because you go to a shit school that happens to mark easy, doesn't mean that you can't improve and smash students from other schools :D

Sculzyoner

HSC
I'm doing year 10 at a GPS school. For example in Maths, everyone except or maybe 2-3 failed their Maths test which is path b. In History the test was scaled up 10 marks because the test was so hard. Just my opinion but i think Private work is harder. That's not to say that public school kids will be put at a disadvantage because of the intensity or level of their work.

Dumbledore

HSC
haven't read everything but heres my contribution to the private section:
avg mark across all my subjects range from 30%(MX1)-55%(English Adv)
School isn't that bad; ranked 70, 19 99+'ers in 08.
haven't been to a public school since primary so can't compare to that

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I'm doing year 10 at a GPS school. For example in Maths, everyone except or maybe 2-3 failed their Maths test which is path b. In History the test was scaled up 10 marks because the test was so hard. Just my opinion but i think Private work is harder. That's not to say that public school kids will be put at a disadvantage because of the intensity or level of their work.
Maybe the kids are just shit and didn't study bar a few?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Sounds like my school xD... the kids don't like to study... ever, not even to get pleasing marks. Only those that plan to get a decent career.
That's like my school too. A lot of people won't even get a school certificate because they just won't do the assignments. Our teachers say they won't survive year 11. Although, a lot of people at my school do try hard and receive good results.

MetroMattums

HSC
You can't generalise "public" or "private" schools. Marking in each individual school is unique to the school's system and the school alone. Going to a private school does not necessarily mean that teachers there are better, either.

yeah_boy

HSC
Problem is with public schools you get a crap teacher and thats it. Either move schools or deal with it... I have a shit art teacher, and I can't just change schools, because of different subjects, available places and travelling... Whereas at an expensive private school, the parents will have a say.. they have more power because they can march up to the principal and say "Hey I'm paying $20,000 for an education for my child, and he/she says that Mr/Mrs whoever is an awful teacher who is _____ etc." or explain that their child isn't progressing, and they'd probably get a better response than just "deal with it or leave".

abckvv

HSC
no way to tell. all you can do is trust your school and keep trying to improve, even if ur getting full marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)