public school or private school to do better in HSC? (1 Viewer)

ccc123

HSC
midifile said:
We do however have teachers who are 100% commited to doing whatever it will take to make us do as well as possible in the HSC..
And so do a lot of public schools, for 1/100000000000th of the price.

midifile said:
I'm not gonna make huge generalisations, but compared to people I know in public schools, we have a lot more opportunities.
Well, that sounds every bit like a generalisation to me. What do you mean when you say "we have a lot more opportunities"?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
ccc123 said:
And so do a lot of public schools, for 1/100000000000th of the price.

Well, that sounds every bit like a generalisation to me. What do you mean when you say "we have a lot more opportunities"?
When I said that I was talking about the school I go to and the alternative public school that I was thinking of going to.

My brother who is two years older than me went to a public school, which in his year was one of the better performing public schools in NSW. Out of his 10 units, he was only taught about 50% of the course in IPT, because his teacher either didnt turn up to class or left out massive chunks, and his english teacher was a joke. We he complained and asked to be moved to another class, nothing was done, so in the end, he ended up geting tutoring for these subjects. In fact, his IPT tutor was the IPT teacher from my school. In my school if a teacher wasnt teaching the class something would be done immediately. Again this is a personal experience, and I'm not making generalisations becuase I do know people who have gone to public schools and had great teachers and gotton 99+ UAI's, but if I had to choose between my school and his, I know where I would be going.

And btw. I'm at my school on a scholarship, so once you factor in all the tutoring that he had it doesnt make my school all that much more expensive. As for more opportunities, we are offered many extra curricular activities which would not be available at my alternative public school, so for me private was the option.

ccc123

HSC
midifile said:
When I said that I was talking about the school I go to and the alternative public school that I was thinking of going to.

My brother who is two years older than me went to a public school, which in his year was one of the better performing public schools in NSW. Out of his 10 units, he was only taught about 50% of the course in IPT, because his teacher either didnt turn up to class or left out massive chunks, and his english teacher was a joke. We he complained and asked to be moved to another class, nothing was done, so in the end, he ended up geting tutoring for these subjects. In fact, his IPT tutor was the IPT teacher from my school. In my school if a teacher wasnt teaching the class something would be done immediately. Again this is a personal experience, and I'm not making generalisations becuase I do know people who have gone to public schools and had great teachers and gotton 99+ UAI's, but if I had to choose between my school and his, I know where I would be going.

And btw. I'm at my school on a scholarship, so once you factor in all the tutoring that he had it doesnt make my school all that much more expensive. As for more opportunities, we are offered many extra curricular activities which would not be available at my alternative public school, so for me private was the option.
So would the school that your brother goes to be the only alternative for you? (btw, this is not a sarcastic Q)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
ccc123 said:
So would the school that your brother goes to be the only alternative for you? (btw, this is not a sarcastic Q)
Not the only alternative, but it was the school that I was enrolled into (although I never actually went there) before being offered a scholarship into my school. The other schools in my area performed worse than that school, so out of public schools it is probably the best in my area.

fantabulous

HSC
See, Midifile and ccc123:

You've basically just misunderstood eachother.

ccc123: You are failing to realise the there are situations where private schools are the better option. As a top academic student in a top academic public school, obviously, you can't see any problems with the public school system

Midifile: You just need to realise ccc123 is a passionate Cherrybrook Techer defending her school. She comes across as a bitch sometimes on BOS, but she's pretty cool irl :p

michael1990

HSC
Didn't the article i show, prove that Public Schools achieved higher results against private schools?

However i still should have listened to the parents.

Mum/Dad: "Michael go to a private school"
Me: Nah its all good. You both stress too much.

ccc123

HSC
michael1990 said:
Didn't the article i show, prove that Public Schools achieved higher results against private schools?
Yes, but Nayyarv + others argue that you can't really compare from that because private schools perform better at the low and middle end rather than the high end. Also, if you look at what the OP actually asks in the original post, they actually seem to be posing a general Q about the quality of public and private schools, not just HSC performance (I overlooked this because the thread title is misleading).

michael1990

HSC
ccc123 said:
Yes, but Nayyarv + others argue that you can't really compare from that because private schools perform better at the low and middle end rather than the high end. Also, if you look at what the OP actually asks in the original post, they actually seem to be posing a general Q about the quality of public and private schools, not just HSC performance (I overlooked this because the thread title is misleading).
I spoke to the OP today. (friend of mine), we had discussed his post.
He thinks public schools do much better in the HSC and in life skills. As most private school students have bad communication skills, which i believe is false and stupid comment by him.

How can you not compare the high end in public and private schools?
If it was an average wouldn't public schools still beat them?
Due to more people attending and more high end results?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Not much difference at all, more socio-economics and partental backgrounds (desire to become a doctor or so.)

ccc123

HSC
michael1990 said:
I spoke to the OP today. (friend of mine), we had discussed his post.
He thinks public schools do much better in the HSC and in life skills. As most private school students have bad communication skills, which i believe is false and stupid comment by him.
I agree that public schools are seeming to outshine their private-school counterparts in recent years. And yeah, the thing about private school students having bad communication skills is probably a false generalisation :p

michael1990 said:
IHow can you not compare the high end in public and private schools?
If it was an average wouldn't public schools still beat them?
Due to more people attending and more high end results?
Yeah, I agree.

ps to Fantabulous and Trajan: I've decided to ignore your peripheral discussion on my hotness :eek:

michael1990

HSC
mle43 said:
well, actually, you're sadly mistaken :)

hurlstone and macarthur girls arent in macarthur region (macarthur girls is out paramatta somewhere)

No. 177
Sorry to do this to you love. But Hurstone is in the macarthur region. Also there are a couple of other schools in the Macarthur Region that are ahead of Broughton.

It is ranked number 27. on the top 200 NSW schools.

Source: http://www.macarthurchronicle.com.au/article/2008/01/08/4277_news.html

Cumberland Newspapers said:
HURLSTONE Agricultural High School at Glenfield has been named the Macarthur region's best academic school, ranking 27th in the NSW top 200 list.
The school had 148 distinguished achievers, 13 on the state's top achievers' list, eight on the all-rounders' list and three students who topped the state in a course.
Macquarie Fields High School was the area's second most successful school, ranking 106th, with three students who scored above 90 in at least 10 units of study and with 45 distinguished achievers.
But Broughton is still up there. And i was surprised that i didn't see it when looking.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
That schools list pisses me off so much.

In my graduating year, my school was #14 or something ridiculous like that.
It's a half-selective public school in the dodgy part of Bankstown.

Now it slipped to #49. Pick it up, kiddies!

Akaru-Hime

Rawr~
HSC
I think that the assumption that going to a high-ranking selective school means that you're socially inept is completely unfounded. My best friend at North Sydney Girls is the school humanitarian groups, and learns all this other crap like ballet, piano, taekwondo, tennis ... etcetc every week... and yet she's still coming in the top-ten of her grade.

I won't deny that being in a selective school is more competitive, but it's not true that it's detrimental. Rather, it motivates everyone else to start working or else your rankings will fall or whatever your priorities are. Also, the environment is also very friendly and welcoming. And yes, it's like that even at James Ruse.

Last edited:

Jinpoo

HSC
Akaru-Hime said:
I think that the assumption that going to a high-ranking selective school means that you're socially inept is completely unfounded.
That is totally true.

I go to baulkham hills, and i have mates that pop at subbies, play state sports, and some have more than 100000 friends on facebook.

It's true, high ranking selective school students CAN have a social life!

..except for james ruse. im sorry, but it's just not possible.

James ruse.. i'm sorry for the generalisation, but seriously, they have kids that have acne that makes their faces look like ballsacks, and absolutely no manners. Little ruse kids running around on the parramatta train.. playing with rubiks cubes.. :mad:

lionking1191

HSC
Jinpoo said:
James ruse.. i'm sorry for the generalisation, but seriously, they have kids that have acne that makes their faces look like ballsacks, and absolutely no manners. Little ruse kids running around on the parramatta train.. playing with rubiks cubes.. :mad:
ahahahha....:hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)