• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

public school or private school to do better in HSC? (1 Viewer)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
ccc123 said:
But what's the point of just getting into uni and then failing?
my point exactly.
an impressive uai and getting into an amazing uni means shit if you falter in a new and different environment.

boris

Banned
HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
i think you missed the point entirely.
i didnt miss any point because i wasnt replying to any point.

i was merely sharing an observation, and that observation was that i know a lot of dumb people who have made it into uni. i know a lot of smart people who made it into uni and lasted a semester.

the point is, who gives a shit what school you go to, it's entirely possible to go to the worst school in nsw, get into uni and do well.

ccc123

HSC
sonyaleeisapixi said:
my point exactly.
an impressive uai and getting into an amazing uni means shit if you falter in a new and different environment.
Exactly. You have to be able to adapt to a less insulated environment, or that 99+ UAI (which public school students are apparently less capable of achieving) is rendered worthless.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
and to be fair, public school kids are less fussy about the uni they attend anyway. im happy at armidale for teaching, and the girl im tying first with academically is happy with newcastle for medicine.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to an average private school. Translation: We pretty much suck at HSC. If I still lived in Sydney I would be going to James Ruse right now, but am stuck at Lindisfarne.

So I reckon selective high schools. Damn, I'd love to go to James Ruse.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
i .. wouldn't.
i love my school, even if it was ranked 464th last year.

boris

Banned
HSC
gcchick said:
I go to an average private school. Translation: We pretty much suck at HSC. If I still lived in Sydney I would be going to James Ruse right now, but am stuck at Lindisfarne.

So I reckon selective high schools. Damn, I'd love to go to James Ruse.
um. why. it's an ag school? oh lardy dar, so they ace the hsc every year. hate to break it to you kids, but the day your hsc finishes NOBODY IN THE REAL WORLD GIVES A SHIT WHAT UAI YOU GOT

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
ccc123 said:
But what's the point of just getting into uni and then failing? Or are you saying that proportionate to the % that actually get into uni in the first place there is little difference?
Let me put it this way...

Let's say 2 schools have 100 people for one of them 80 go to uni and 10 struggle with it. The second has 50 go to uni and only 5 struggle with it.

If the second is public schools, the statistic is then 'omgz public school students do better at uni', but what's the point if you still have overall less people from the SCHOOL who went on to do good at university?

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
sonyaleeisapixi said:
i .. wouldn't.
i love my school, even if it was ranked 464th last year.
Our school is run by an evil dictator known as Chris Duncan, Principal. So yeah, that's why I hate my school.

boris said:
um. why. it's an ag school? oh lardy dar, so they ace the hsc every year. hate to break it to you kids, but the day your hsc finishes NOBODY IN THE REAL WORLD GIVES A SHIT WHAT UAI YOU GOT
Because I believe that what school you attend affects how well you do in the HSC. My school sucks, James Ruse is good. Simple comparison. Plus I wouldn't mind going to an Ag school, since my school is pretty much one anyway. I just wanna escape this shit fortress.

boris

Banned
HSC
gcchick said:
Our school is run by an evil dictator known as Chris Duncan, Principal. So yeah, that's why I hate my school.

Because I believe that what school you attend affects how well you do in the HSC. My school sucks, James Ruse is good. Simple comparison. Plus I wouldn't mind going to an Ag school, since my school is pretty much one anyway. I just wanna escape this shit fortress.
um no
james ruse is selective. to get into james ruse you have to be quite intelligent. the reason james ruse does so well every year is because it's a selective high school full of really smart people.

just because you live in sydney does not mean you are capable of attending james ruse. also it's dependent upon the student. just because you go to a shit school doesnt mean you can't achieve brilliant UAI results.

i went to a school with 6 kids in year 12. we did our hsc via distance with 5 other smaller schools and every year since i can remember we've had kids get UAIs > 90. in 06 we had one girl get into medicine. another year we had pharmacy.
so if you dont mind going to an ag school why didnt you do ag as a subject in the hsc?

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
boris said:
um no
james ruse is selective. to get into james ruse you have to be quite intelligent. the reason james ruse does so well every year is because it's a selective high school full of really smart people.

just because you live in sydney does not mean you are capable of attending james ruse. also it's dependent upon the student. just because you go to a shit school doesnt mean you can't achieve brilliant UAI results.

i went to a school with 6 kids in year 12. we did our hsc via distance with 5 other smaller schools and every year since i can remember we've had kids get UAIs > 90. in 06 we had one girl get into medicine. another year we had pharmacy.
so if you dont mind going to an ag school why didnt you do ag as a subject in the hsc?
People reckon that I'd have no trouble getting into James Ruse. And I would have done Ag, if our gay-ass new principal didn't drop it from our curriculum at the end of Year 10.

boris

Banned
HSC
you could have done ag by distance ed if your school stopped offering it as a year 12 subject. easy.

i think you're just a little misguided about how the whole hsc thing works, and blaming the school for poor performance is just a front to cover up for ones insecurities.

if you want to do well, you will. regardless of the school.

ccc123

HSC
Enteebee said:
Let me put it this way...

Let's say 2 schools have 100 people for one of them 80 go to uni and 10 struggle with it. The second has 50 go to uni and only 5 struggle with it.

If the second is public schools, the statistic is then 'omgz public school students do better at uni', but what's the point if you still have overall less people from the SCHOOL who went on to do good at university?
Well...actually, if you take the numbers you've just given,

10/80 stuggling compared with 5/50, public schools still win because its 12.5% stuggling (private) vs 10% struggling (Public) :p

But I see your point anyway.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
ccc123 said:
I'm also unconvinced that ability in debating and public speaking is a testement to good communication or social skills, as from experience, a lot of them just see these as opportunities to showcase their 'intelletualism', rather than to communicate.
Quite mistaken here. How about you go and and actually talk to some of the people from selective high schools. . . you'll find most are just as social as any normal kid.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
boris said:
you could have done ag by distance ed if your school stopped offering it as a year 12 subject. easy.

i think you're just a little misguided about how the whole hsc thing works, and blaming the school for poor performance is just a front to cover up for ones insecurities.

if you want to do well, you will. regardless of the school.
Shmeh. My school still sucks. :uhhuh:

EDIT: At the moment, I just wanna get Year 12 over and done with and will be stoked if I pass.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
ccc123 said:
Well...actually, if you take the numbers you've just given,

10/80 stuggling compared with 5/50, public schools still win because its 12.5% stuggling (private) vs 10% struggling (Public) :p

But I see your point anyway.
uh..

12.5% struggling vs 10% struggling of those who made it to uni. However we have 70% (of the actual school body) doing good at uni vs 45% (of the actual school body) doing good at uni.

ccc123

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
Quite mistaken here. How about you go and and actually talk to some of the people from selective high schools. . . you'll find most are just as social as any normal kid.
I know many people from selective high schools, and yes, many of them are social. But, I was not making a statement about how social or anti-social selective students are. Invarably, some of them are, some of them aren't. I acknowledge this. I was merely pointing out that being good at debating and public speaking is not tantamount to being a good communicator, or a well-rounded individual.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
How do people actually know that public school kids do better at uni??
is there a link or something?

because I go to a public school and my teachers tell me that public schools do better in uni aswell.

So do this come from actual stats or is it just word on the street?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)