Program transfer First year (1 Viewer)

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
I've got a question about the internal program transfer at UNSW. I am currently doing B Computer science/ B science. But i find computer science really hard since i'm unfamiliar with computers (programming) so i want to transfer into a commerce degree(i love business studies and economics in HSC). My question is: is it possible to change your program at the end of semester one?. My courses are currently, MATH1041, MATH1141, COMP1917, and PSYC1001. (This is my first year at University)

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's not that hard because technically you are just dropping a degree to do single. So it's not really a transfer.

Actually I just found someone who asked exactly the same question not long ago, and apparently you can just drop the science degree without transferring.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=297402
I dont think op is dropping just a degree. OP is transferring to a completely different degree.

a19901213

HSC
My apology for the misreading, I thought he's doing B Commerce/Science

Well in this case transfer is required but on UNSW page it says minimum of 36 UOC is required for Internal program transfer and you only get 24UOC for a semester. So you probably have to apply through UAC in the mid-year admission and I think they will assess you using your high school grade.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You can't internal transfer in your first year

froogle

HSC
N/A
You are somewhat screwed, but all hope is not lost.

You cannot transfer until the end of semester two (end of this year). Until then you will have to continue following your program of Comp sci/sci.
Whether they let you transfer or not will depend on your marks. If you are finding your subjects hard then seek additional help and do your best.

The problem is that you are transferring to a completely different program, meaning most of your courses that you are doing now is useless and will not be credited towards your commerce degree.
Only one or two subjects will count towards general ed, other than that you will have to start from scratch. Look at the commerce program and you will see what I mean.
Since you are doing a double degree with science you will be expected to do a science course next semester, so you can't even do a commerce course that will count. Hint: Do something easy that will raise your WAM making it easier to transfer.

So it's possible, with a bit of work. Funny since I know a few people doing commerce that hate it and want to drop or change from it. It is a "textbook" course, so you just read the textbook, do questions, write notes, ect. Very different to engineering or science. Lots of theory, little group work and next to no hands on stuff. Basically like the HSC, only more content. Nevertheless if that is what you are after then go for it.
As far as difficulty the truth is that there will still be a lot of hard content and new concepts. Really think about why you chose comp sci/sci to begin with, and whether commerce is the right degree for you. The last thing you want is to transfer into a worse program.
Good Luck.

D94

HSC
N/A
Since you are doing a double degree with science you will be expected to do a science course next semester, so you can't even do a commerce course that will count. Hint: Do something easy that will raise your WAM making it easier to transfer.
Actually, the OP can very much do Commerce courses. Whilst you are only expected to complete courses that count to your degree (for your own benefit, not the university's), you aren't restricted to completing only Computer Science or Science courses (otherwise, how will students ever be able to complete gen ed subjects??). They may not count to the Science degrees, but you can still apply for those courses.

In that event, you can choose 4 Commerce courses next semester and all 4 will count (assuming they are the cores or are relevant to their desired major).

So the OP is really just wasting 2 courses if s/he does a single major (as 2 will count as gen eds). If the OP chooses a double major, s/he will have wasted a semester.

froogle

HSC
N/A
You are exempt from doing ged ed courses if you are doing a double degree.

D94

HSC
N/A
You are exempt from doing ged ed courses if you are doing a double degree.
It's not clear whether the OP wants to transfer to Commerce or Commerce/Science. If it's the former, my point stands, if it's the latter, well then, obviously.

I referenced gen eds to highlight the fact that you can choose any course from any faculty - whilst they may not count (so in the case of a double degree, those won't be counted as gen eds), you can still choose those courses. What I said wasn't in reference to double degrees, it was a reference to the nature of course selection at UNSW. At other unis, you may be restricted to choosing courses only from your major. (you may have just misinterpreted what I said)

In general, if students weren't able to choose courses outside of their degree, how would they be able to complete gen eds? The system allows you to do so, and you can work the system to your advantage. Why would you choose another 4 Science courses, if you intend on transferring to Commerce?

But you kind of missed the crux of the point - you can take 4 Commerce subjects next semester even if you're not enrolled in Commerce.

Last edited:

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
ok since the idea is that i can't transfer in first semester and can only transfer at the end of the year, i have another question. For second semester is it compulsory for me to do a COMP course, despite my program? for example next semester i do MATH1241, PSYC1011, and discrete maths only and no computing courses whatsoever. Because i only need 36 Uoc and the fact that i want to transfer anyway is incentive to not continue with COMP1927.

D94

HSC
N/A
ok since the idea is that i can't transfer in first semester and can only transfer at the end of the year, i have another question. For second semester is it compulsory for me to do a COMP course, despite my program? for example next semester i do MATH1241, PSYC1011, and discrete maths only and no computing courses whatsoever. Because i only need 36 Uoc and the fact that i want to transfer anyway is incentive to not continue with COMP1927.
Which program do you want to transfer into?

Is it:

Commerce
Commerce/Science

?

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
Which program do you want to transfer into?

Is it:

Commerce
Commerce/Science

?
i have a few programs in mind.
Commerce/Science
Commerce/ science (adv math)
Economics/adv math
B Actuary (i wanted to see if this degree was available but it isn't)
B Actuary/ adv math
and Advanced math

D94

HSC
N/A
In reply to the previous quote, don't do COMP1927, but do 4 relevant subjects.

i have a few programs in mind.
Commerce/Science
Commerce/ science (adv math)
Economics/adv math
B Actuary (i wanted to see if this degree was available but it isn't)
B Actuary/ adv math
and Advanced math
Ok, it may be all right, as in, you won't have wasted a semester.

For Commerce/Science, there are actually some Science Elective Courses which you need to do since you require 96 UOC for the Science component but most majors are around 84 UOC or less. Depending on your major, that means the subjects you are doing now can all count towards your program, meaning you won't have wasted a semester.

For Economics or Commerce/Science (Adv Math), depending on your major (i.e. applied or pure or quant etc.), there may be 6 UOC of Science Elective courses which you will need to do, which means you will have possibly wasted 1 subject since MATH1141 and COMP1917 will count towards a Maths major, and 1 other course will count as an elective.

I'm not sure if they just haven't updated the IPT list of programs or that the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies isn't a program you can transfer into. If you can transfer into it, 12 UOC can go towards General Electives and so the other 12 UOC won't be counted. For Bachelor of Actuarial Studies / Bachelor of Science (Advanced Maths), only 6 UOC will count as Science Electives, and the rest won't count.

For Advanced Maths, all subjects will count as either from the major or as a free elective.

So basically, you will need to decide which program you want to transfer into. But you should definitely choose subjects which count towards your desired major or you'll be wasting more time and money on courses that won't count. I'm not sure why you have chosen MATH1041 because that won't count towards any major unless it's just Advanced Maths or Science. If you do a maths major in a combined degree, don't do PSYC1011 because that won't count.

Don't do COMP1927 next semester, but do subjects which count towards your desired program and major. Do 24 UOC so you don't fall behind. More importantly, do well so you have the marks to transfer.

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
In reply to the previous quote, don't do COMP1927, but do 4 relevant subjects.

Ok, it may be all right, as in, you won't have wasted a semester.

For Commerce/Science, there are actually some Science Elective Courses which you need to do since you require 96 UOC for the Science component but most majors are around 84 UOC or less. Depending on your major, that means the subjects you are doing now can all count towards your program, meaning you won't have wasted a semester.

For Economics or Commerce/Science (Adv Math), depending on your major (i.e. applied or pure or quant etc.), there may be 6 UOC of Science Elective courses which you will need to do, which means you will have possibly wasted 1 subject since MATH1141 and COMP1917 will count towards a Maths major, and 1 other course will count as an elective.

I'm not sure if they just haven't updated the IPT list of programs or that the Bachelor of Actuarial Studies isn't a program you can transfer into. If you can transfer into it, 12 UOC can go towards General Electives and so the other 12 UOC won't be counted. For Bachelor of Actuarial Studies / Bachelor of Science (Advanced Maths), only 6 UOC will count as Science Electives, and the rest won't count.

For Advanced Maths, all subjects will count as either from the major or as a free elective.

So basically, you will need to decide which program you want to transfer into. But you should definitely choose subjects which count towards your desired major or you'll be wasting more time and money on courses that won't count. I'm not sure why you have chosen MATH1041 because that won't count towards any major unless it's just Advanced Maths or Science. If you do a maths major in a combined degree, don't do PSYC1011 because that won't count.

Don't do COMP1927 next semester, but do subjects which count towards your desired program and major. Do 24 UOC so you don't fall behind. More importantly, do well so you have the marks to transfer.
wow, that's a lot of useful info, Thanks!!. Considering what you said i think i might head for the Advanced maths degree. Regarding this, it says i need to do SCIF1121 and SCIF1131 in first year, so does that mean i have to start from first year if i transfer?. I don't have a problem with being a first year again, but most of the people in the advanced math degree have done MATH1131/MATH1141 and MATH1231/MATH1231 in their first year, and considering i would have completed math1141 and 1241 this year, what does that leave me to do next year?. Also just for clarification i can proceed into second semester without COMP1927 right? regardless of my program.

D94

HSC
N/A
You shouldn't decide based solely on what I said, if you're interested in Commerce as well as Maths, then Commerce/Adv Maths might be a better option.

But if you want to do Advanced Maths by itself, then pretty much all the courses you have listed will count. You'll be on par with those who had started an Advanced Maths major this year. Do SCIF next semester, MATH1241, MATH1081, and another free elective.

The only problem would be since the requirements for SCIF is that you must be a first year student enrolled in Advanced Maths/Science, you may not be allowed to choose that subject. So this is now something you'll have to discuss with the School of Maths, but they are usually flexible, as in, they will let you do SCIF next year but still be considered a 2nd year student next year. You will need to explain your situation to them.

Yes, you can go into second semester and not do COMP1927.

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
I dropped COMP1917 via MyUNSW, and it's past the census date, so do i have to pay a late fee for it? (which i don't mind). And also is there another step that i have to do, like fill out a form? i saw this form on the UNSW website called course enrolment variation.

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
I dropped COMP1917 via MyUNSW, and it's past the census date, so do i have to pay a late fee for it? (which i don't mind). And also is there another step that i have to do, like fill out a form? i saw this form on the UNSW website called course enrolment variation.
You'll have to pay the full fee for the course to your HECS loan. As far as I am aware, there is not extra step other than simply dropping the course, but you might want to check with Student Central.

D94

HSC
N/A
And also is there another step that i have to do, like fill out a form? i saw this form on the UNSW website called course enrolment variation.
That form is for if you want to pick up a course after the enrolment period has closed but before the census date, so it is not applicable for you.

shibalnom

HSC
N/A
ok thanks, just another question, do i have to complete 48 uoc to be eligible for transfer? because right now, in this semester right now i got math1141, psyc1001, and math1041 (i.e 18 uoc), and i heard the max you can have in a semester is 27 uoc (total 45 or 42), meaning i won't be able to complete 48 uoc by the end of the year, does this mean i can't transfer?, i'm confused because the IPT said i need to have completed 36 (and get the required WAM) to transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)