• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Probability (2 Viewers)

eccentricity

HSC
I find Probability very challenging. Personally, Probability just seems so foreign whereas Calculus is very intuitive and makes sense all the time. Is there any systematic study/learning approach that I can take in order to improve my knowledge of Probability (especially permutations and combinations) before the trials?

Thank you.

Last edited:

gaste

HSC
N/A
Probability is logic. To see quickly improvments, I recommend that you use logic and see why the solution is that way

Example working out and how to go about analyzing the sol'n or your sol'n,
1. The question
2. Step A (why?)
3. Step B (why?)
4. Step C (why?)
5. Answer (why?)

If you can answer all 'why?'s then you have understood the logic of the solution. Otherwise, you will not improve as quick as you want for probability

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I guess in order to become better at perms and combs (probability included) you need to think what the creator of the question was thinking at the time. My maths teacher doesn't like perms and combs and it frustrates her all the time. I guess your IQ for maths needs to be up there for a topic like this. And yes, if you put calculus and perms and combs/probability on a difficulty scale, calculus will be the least difficult one out of the two :)

gaste

HSC
N/A
I guess in order to become better at perms and combs (probability included) you need to think what the creator of the question was thinking at the time. My maths teacher doesn't like perms and combs and it frustrates her all the time. I guess your IQ for maths needs to be up there for a topic like this. And yes, if you put calculus and perms and combs/probability on a difficulty scale, calculus will be the least difficult one out of the two :)
IQ for maths? Probability is reasoning

leehuan

HSC
Edit: Wait, you posted this in the Ext 2 forum. I tried interpreting questions myself and had little to no luck. I need my teacher to explain stuff when it's time to learn how to do them.

I've always hated permutations and combinations. This is what I did to get through:

1. Arrangements in a line - n!
2. Arrangements in a circle - (n-1)!
2. a) Arrangements of beads on a bracelet - (n-1)!/2 because when the bracelet is flipped you get similar permutations
3. Ways of being chosen in a specific order - nPr or n!/(n-r)!
4. Ways of being chosen in any random order - nCr
5. 'And' means multiply
6. 'Or' means plus
7. Repeated letters in making "words", where k is the amount of letters, is n!/k!
8. Repetitions in general: Arrange the repetitions individually, then arrange the entire thing together
9. Consider cases seperately if need be - this is hardest to do.. Seeing as you posted this in the 4U forum
10. Probability is always given P = Favourable outcomes / Total outcomes

E.g. to explain 8.
A group of 8 people are to be seated in a line. If Anna and John wish to sit together, how many ways is this possible?
Arrange Anna and John together - Anna and John can sit in 2! ways
Then, treat them as one person, i.e. AnnaJohn. Then, there are 6 other people. Meaning, 7 people need to be arranged in a line. There are 7! ways of doing this.
Therefore, arrangements = 2! * 7!

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I find Probability very challenging. Personally, Probability just seems so foreign whereas Calculus is very intuitive and makes sense all the time. Is there any systematic study/learning approach that I can take in order to improve my knowledge of Probability (especially permutations and combinations) before the trials?

Thank you.
You'll probably improve with practice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)