Probability Question (1 Viewer)

seanieg89

HSC
Try this one:
A couple has two children, one of whom is a boy who was born on a Thursday. What is the probability that the other child is also a boy?

(This isn't a lateral thinking question).

Edit:

Although admittedly with more precise wording, the problem messes with the mind less. It is similar to the Monty Hall problem for those who have seen the movie "21".

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Try this one:
A couple has two children, one of whom is a boy who was born on a Thursday. What is the probability that the other child is also a boy?

(This isn't a lateral thinking question).
What kind of question is that? wtf

Amogh

HSC
N/A
You just want us to say 1/2 so that you laugh at us!

I'm not going to spoil it because I googled it :p
Thanks for the question mate! Twas interesting.

seanieg89

HSC
You just want us to say 1/2 so that you laugh at us!

I'm not going to spoil it because I googled it :p
Thanks for the question mate! Twas interesting.
;)

Its not as silly as it sounds MrBrightside.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Try this one:
We know that atleast one is a boy.
Possibilities:
Boy, Boy
Boy, Girl
Girl, Boy

Out of these three, they all have equal probability and hence, the probability of another boy is 1/3...maybe...that Thursday is shitting me...now I'm off to Google.

It's actually quite ambiguous...there was still an initial probability that there could be 2 girls (1/4) and that was revealed untrue when you told us there was one boy...okay fuck this.

Last edited:

aundii

HSC
Half. Child genders are independent events, like tossing a coin.

EDIT: If you wanted to do it mathematically...

P(boy boy) = P(1st is a boy) x P(2nd is a boy)
= 1/1 x 1/2
= 1/2

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Half. Child genders are independent events, like tossing a coin.

EDIT: If you wanted to do it mathematically...

P(boy boy) = P(1st is a boy) x P(2nd is a boy)
= 1/1 x 1/2
= 1/2
I have written possible cases above.
BG
GB
BB

There's 1 cases with two boys out of three.

aundii

HSC
Anyway, my answer remains as 1/2; mathematically speaking, gender is always an independent event and the chance of a particular gender is 1/2. Wouldn't make a difference if they couple had 2 kids or 20 kids; the chance that any one of them were male would be 1/2.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Anyway, my answer remains as 1/2; mathematically speaking, gender is always an independent event and the chance of a particular gender is 1/2. Wouldn't make a difference if they couple had 2 kids or 20 kids; the chance that any one of them were male would be 1/2.
But you were told they have one boy. The answer could be 1/3 or 1/2 but if you actually tested this the result would be closer to 1/3.

aundii

HSC
But you were told they have one boy. The answer could be 1/3 or 1/2 but if you actually tested this the result would be closer to 1/3.
That works with the Monty Hall problem, but we're talking about independent events here; it doesn't matter what we already know, the chances that the other child is a boy is 1/2. The chances that any given child is a boy is ALWAYS 1/2.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
That works with the Monty Hall problem, but we're talking about independent events here; it doesn't matter what we already know, the chances that the other child is a boy is 1/2. The chances that any given child is a boy is ALWAYS 1/2.
Well, if you were to get all the couples with 2 children but remove all of those with 2 girls, you will theoretically be left with equal numbers of:
BG
GB
BB
So if you know you have 1 boy, the odds of the other boy is 1/3. This is only 1/3 because of the information that is given to you but if they were to ask something like "what would the odds of a second child being a boy?" would be obviously 1/2.

seanieg89

HSC
Ignoring the "Thursday" part for now (which in my opinion brings up the most counter-intuitive aspect of the question).

The critical reason why this simpler question has answer 1/3 and not 1/2 is that we are not stipulating order at any stage.
So asking "What is the probability of the other child also being a boy" is very different from asking "What is the probability of the second child being a boy".

The BG/GB/BB approach here works fine.

seanieg89

HSC
you have my kudos :) try the question including the Thursday part though, bonus point if you are able to explain why that makes a difference :p

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
you have my kudos :) try the question including the Thursday part though, bonus point if you are able to explain why that makes a difference :p
Yeah...well, I googled it and the answer it gives me hardly makes sense so I doubt I can actually make up my own.

seanieg89

HSC
Yep, so actually not that hard a question apart from being fairly unintuitive. You can replace the property of "birth on Thursday" by an arbitrary property. If the property is rare, your probability will be close to 1/2, if the property is common, your probability will be close to 1/3 :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)