Private school or not? (1 Viewer)

reed12

HSC
I am currently in year 10 and attending a Catholic girls' school in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. Although it is religious, my school is not classified as private and does not charge large amounts of fees. Despite claiming that it produces bright students, the school has not placed in the top 100 school rankings for the HSC in the past 5 years.

My question is, whether or not it will be worth attending a private school such as Ascham or Reddam House in order to better my education in lead up to the HSC?

I am a hard worker and I've heard a lot that it is the student rather than the school, but doesn't the constant low scores of my school suggest something? I was looking for an insight in to the workings of private schools and whether or not they provide a better education for their expensive fees.

Also, I'm afraid that I won't be suited to a private school coming from a working class family. Paying tuition isn't a problem, it's more that we're not wealthy. I don't mean to stereotype private school students, just a concern. Any thoughts?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Why not try out for a selective school?
i.e. Girraween or Baulkham Hills

Last edited:

HSC
N/A
working class from the eastern suburbs eh??

haha.

hmm

if you can't get into selective, ie if your grades aren't really high up this year.. which is kind of like me,( i didnt really work untill half way through the HSC) then i'd say,,

transfer to the best academic private school?

it'll help you out in terms of 'old girl networks'.
but yeah,
prepare for some snobs

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Going to a better school will only help to motivate you - the competition will most likely cause you to work harder. They may also have better resources/opportunities.

Aside from that, how well you will do is up to you. I know heaps of people who went to schools out of the top 100 and have managed to get high ATARs. Heck, i know people who go to schools which are not even in the top 300 and they have managed to get 98+ ATARs.

So unless your school really sucks, i'd just stay in your current school.

HSC
My question is, whether or not it will be worth attending a private school such as Ascham or Reddam House in order to better my education in lead up to the HSC?

i advise you to attend a private school

i had the same problem at my old school: it was a public school which produced very low hsc marks .. so i moved to a private school. i mean despite the high fees, the education is great and the hsc marks are remarkable

HSC
N/A

i advise you to attend a private school

i had the same problem at my old school: it was a public school which produced very low hsc marks .. so i moved to a private school. i mean despite the high fees, the education is great and the hsc marks are remarkable
yes let's hope that they are for 2011.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think how well you do in school is mainly dependent on you. If you are motivated even if the cohort at your current school is low (scoring outside 100 isn't bad think of how many schools there are), you can just concentrate on beating them by more. If you're the kinda of person to need environmental competition, go to a another school. If you can't get into a selective school, it's probably indicative that you need to work harder.

I know countless people who have gotten high UAI or ATARS from non top schools. And *GASP* they were public schools outside the city. It's always been my personal opinion to save the money for a good uni, not to waste it on private school. Where I live there's a private school that charges like $12000 dollars a year. And when it gets to the end, our HSC marks aren't that drastically different. Quite a few people from my school still get a 95+ ATAR, infact two or 3 years ago we had a girl get a 99.95 UAI. Oh and my school is just outside the top 200 on average.

strawerrberries

HSC
I've been to 10 private schools in Sydney.
From my experience, Ascham (ranked 5th), Kambala (equal 7th), Reddam (equal 7th), and SCEGGS Darlinghurst (16th)are best in terms of education (in the east.)
As you are worried about suiting the "private school" stereotype, i wouldn't even consider Ascham or Kambala. Academically they are excellent, but a lot of the girls there are pretentious and competitive.
I cannot recommend SCEGGS Darlinghurst enough. I loved the school. The small year group is great when you're trying to fit in and as its close to the city, you get girls from all different suburbs (not snobby at all).The teachers are very supportive and the education is one of the best in Sydney.
Although i haven't been to Reddam, i do know that it is great for people steering clear of the bitchiness that some all girls schools carry. The teaching is excellent and as it is co-ed, you don't get any bitchiness. A lot of people who dislike the eastern suburbs girls schools end up at Reddam.
Hope this helps a little :)

occer

HSC
N/A
I'm sure the bitchiness of the girls isn't that much of a problem if you are good at ignoring them, if not you could try drugging them or something.

I'd try for a private school though, I'm sure you'd fit in somewhere.

joker252

I feel the knife going in
If I don't recover, Sell this house and find some
HSC
From my experience, Ascham (ranked 5th), Kambala (equal 7th), Reddam (equal 7th), and SCEGGS Darlinghurst (16th)are best in terms of education (in the east.)
As you are worried about suiting the "private school" stereotype, i wouldn't even consider Ascham or Kambala. Academically they are excellent, but a lot of the girls there are pretentious and competitive.
I cannot recommend SCEGGS Darlinghurst enough. I loved the school. The small year group is great when you're trying to fit in and as its close to the city, you get girls from all different suburbs (not snobby at all).The teachers are very supportive and the education is one of the best in Sydney.
Although i haven't been to Reddam, i do know that it is great for people steering clear of the bitchiness that some all girls schools carry. The teaching is excellent and as it is co-ed, you don't get any bitchiness. A lot of people who dislike the eastern suburbs girls schools end up at Reddam.
lol, are you a fucking problem child?

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
if you like your school (based on factors other than rank) then stay. i did just fine at a catholic high school ranked in the 400s.

HSC
N/A
very interesting..
just out of curiosity.. how come you moved around often?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)