Print/Writing Techniques, Advanced English (1 Viewer)

Madusa

HSC
I don't have any idea what techniques I write about for a short story. I read somewhere that techniques such as "simile" should not be used as a year 12 student, so I am quite stumped.

Thanks in advance..
:)

watsthebuzz

HSC
Who said you cant use similes? If its appropriate of course you can use it. However, probably the best technique you can use for your story is symbolic imagery. Try and develop the mood by describing the setting through metaphors, hyperboles, etc.

Madusa

HSC
Who said you cant use similes? If its appropriate of course you can use it. However, probably the best technique you can use for your story is symbolic imagery. Try and develop the mood by describing the setting through metaphors, hyperboles, etc.

Well, it says in this HSC English book on belonging by Larry Grumley:

"Avoid using minor technical aspects simply because you know them. By the time you reach year 12 toy should have a catalogue of techniques. Don't use simile, for example, just because you know it. Research and analyse to be clear the technique adds to the strength of Belonging."

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
There is nothing wrong with using simile as a one off. However if your essay is filled with the 'lower order' techniques such as 'simile' and 'diction' and 'rhyme' and 'alliteration (purely because you can't find any other techniques - NOTE that if there's a -specific- purpose that the composer uses technique X for which you can identify, it is different), then you're in a little bit of a pickle if you're aiming for a Band 6 response.

watsthebuzz

HSC
LoL, Grumley used to be my teacher. Forget what he says, he's always trying to be dramatic.

Well, it says in this HSC English book on belonging by Larry Grumley:

"Avoid using minor technical aspects simply because you know them. By the time you reach year 12 toy should have a catalogue of techniques. Don't use simile, for example, just because you know it. Research and analyse to be clear the technique adds to the strength of Belonging."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)