Prestige of Uni (1 Viewer)

Cuenca47

HSC
A lot of emphasis is put on the "prestige" and reputation" of different unis and their ability in getting you in the high end jobs. For example everyone always talks about how prestigious sydney is and employers look favorably upon this. Is this justified. When u finish uni and seek emplyment at a highly sought after respectable firm, will the fact that u went to UWS hurt your chances?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You should just concentrate on getting into uni at this stage.

I go to UOW and I have had no problems getting jobs/interviews whatsoever.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Yes. UWS is the reject uni and everyone knows it. And don't listen to the people from UWS who say this isn't true because they obviously have a reason to lie.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
I don't know of too many USW students getting summer clerkships (i.e. big corporate law firms), but no real difference elsewhere though.

^___^
HSC
natstar said:
People say it will for the really big companies, but we have Big 4 firms coming to our career's expo next week, so I dont know really.
the big 4's career expo is held in every uni across syd

X

xeuyrawp

natstar said:
Its a business careers expo that is run by the uni, only for UWS students.
Elitist. :(

Seriously, though, this has been done to death.

Only people who feel they need prestige to compensate should be worried about this.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yes. UWS is the reject uni and everyone knows it. And don't listen to the people from UWS who say this isn't true because they obviously have a reason to lie.
THE FUTURE and/or natstar said:
In the end it is the same degree, and it doesn't matter where you got it from. Insert anecdotal evidence here. Comparison with other regional universities goes here. More anecdotal evidence is usually around here, followed shortly by an accusation of elitism to those who oppose the stated point.
The above two quotes summarise the exact path this thread will take. The two may be worded in slightly different ways and spread over 40 pages, and UWS may not actually be mentioned, but whenever the word 'prestige' is mentioned, the thread instantly becomes UWS v The World.

Also, use the search button.

santaslayer

HSC
I'd say a few other unis would be ranked lower than UWS within Australia in terms of many criteria, including reputation/prestige. The fact that UWS is closest in proximity makes it the most attractive to poke at.

Big 4 always have expos in all unis. Bright students pop out from ALL unis.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think UWS ppl need to find a bigger scapegoat.. i suggest uni of the sunshine coast..

UWS is pretty good now.. picking up its game and also focusing on teaching which some Go8 still cant do properly..

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Sigh, the person who asked this question wont get a proper answer and is going to end up leaving more confused than before because of people behaving childish.

In my opinion in depends on where you are seeking employment and in what industry. Yes in some cases people from UWS may be discriminated against, however so would people from other unis as well, it all depends on what the employers are looking for and some for instance my only want usyd grads.

I hear that our law grads are doing pretty well and I havent heard someone complain they are unemployable because they studied at UWS. Uni is what you make of it, if you work hard, get good marks and get some good experience there is no reason to say that UWS will prevent you from achieving a high end job

Last edited:

J0n

N/A
HSC
The way my y11 math teacher put it:
"If you graduate law from UWS, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
"If you graduate law from USYD, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
"If you graduate law from Harvard, what does it make you? - A lawyer."

HSC
N/A
Hail to the superficial who value prestige of (a) uni/s before all else.

Yes, I am bored.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
The thread starter belongs in tafe for his blatant stupidity.

phrred

HSC
i think UNSW n usyd would be looked upon greatest, macq and uts have good reps too. but a degrees a degree

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Santa, how prestegious is UoW?

not that it really matters cause iam not doing Law, just curious

phrred

HSC
UoW is building a strong reputation and improving greatly

turtleface

HSC
J0n said:
The way my y11 math teacher put it:
"If you graduate law from UWS, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
"If you graduate law from USYD, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
"If you graduate law from Harvard, what does it make you? - A lawyer."
Nah I think you actually have to get a job as a Lawyer before you can be considered a Lawyer.

Especially cause only 1/3 of grads get into articles and only about 50% of law grads ever practice as a lawyer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)