• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Preliminary HSC Yearly Exams Thoughts & Results (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
English was psycho. It was literally ridiculous. I have given up on it. :mad1:

Music Viva was good though. :)

Have SOR and PDHPE tomorrow. So much content. :eek:

Shoom

HSC
N/A
So Physics dude whos rank dropped from 2nd to 7th high.

What did you put for the prac questions in the physics test?

HSC
Re: Does anyone agree that the Preliminary Exams are much more difficult?

i've done two prelim exams so far, legal studies and extension english. our school makes their own prelim papers but the teachers pick the most obscure little things to put in the papers while ignoring more than half of the syllabus, especially legal studies. Of the five topics we studied in class only two were in the test. i didn't find it that difficult but i was annoyed i couldn't use all of the other knowledge that i had. for the extension one we had to do a creative writing piece and an essay in teo hours which was pretty good however the essay question involved something that was never even mentioned in class and had nothing to do with the focus area we were doing.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

Melisoverschool said:
i've done two prelim exams so far, legal studies and extension english. our school makes their own prelim papers but the teachers pick the most obscure little things to put in the papers while ignoring more than half of the syllabus, especially legal studies. Of the five topics we studied in class only two were in the test. i didn't find it that difficult but i was annoyed i couldn't use all of the other knowledge that i had. for the extension one we had to do a creative writing piece and an essay in teo hours which was pretty good however the essay question involved something that was never even mentioned in class and had nothing to do with the focus area we were doing.
Get used to it, HSC only tests like 60-70% of your knowledge in the exam.

HSC
youngminii said:
3u Maths
Screwed it hard
Couldn't do 1a.. So demoralising
:cold:
thats what i'm worried about. i have mine today and i really don't want to do it because there are so many damn formulas and stuff i can't do that i'm worried they'll pick everything i can't do so i won't be able to answer any

RocKetBoy

HSC
youngminii said:
3u Maths
Screwed it hard
Couldn't do 1a.. So demoralising
:cold:

yeaa samee 3U completely raped mee >.<
i couldn't do circle geo and 3d trig =.=
*cries*

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Extension 1 English today was pretty good. The question was so broad and I managed to write 11 pages in the set time of 1 hour (I expected 12-14 actually). But it was still a satisfactory performance I suppose.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Aplus said:
Extension 1 English today was pretty good. The question was so broad and I managed to write 11 pages in the set time of 1 hour (I expected 12-14 actually). But it was still a satisfactory performance I suppose.
Haha i've noticed a huge decrease in amount of paper I've used for 3unit.

For my half yearlies I wrote around 20-30 pages for 3unit, but once the 4unit topics started aiding the 3unit topics, I only write around 15-20 max.

However, my 4unit working was like 35 pages :(

ahhliss

HSC
N/A
English: Bad. I don't think I even answered the questions for the essays...

Chinese: Worse. I couldn't read half the text given. Had to write a letter and a diary entry. Sucked bad D:

Chemistry: Paranoid because I finished really early O_O Remembered later that the prefix for 3 carbons is "prop" and 5 is "pent". A question was draw propene so seeing a p, I thought it was 5. The next question was what alkane has a mass of 72g. I worked out it was 5 carbons so I wrote C5H12 propane D:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Had English Paper 2 today. Feeling tense because I only did three pages for each question.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Shoom said:
Someone post some chem questions please.
I remember the practical question was about a metal less reactive than Magnesium but more reactive than Lead and you have to describe its reaction with an acid.

bawd

HSC

The Preliminary Exam for Society and Culture today was heaps dodgy. Probably because our Social Science department purchases them from cheap companies because it was blabbing on about the nature of the Society and Culture course rather than testing us on our content and application of the methodologies. The exam in itself wasn't hard, but it may have baffled some of the best students in my class.

The MX1 exam was also, surprising, quite easy. I kept giggling (lol) after the exam (although I knew I didn't perform too well, but you could tell the questions were definitely not difficult) because I realised if I had studied even just a bit more efficiently I could have easily passed with flying colours.

EDIT: I think this post is entirely irrelevant to your rant, but nonetheless I wanted to voice my rants.

Last edited:

ttong

HSC
kaz1 said:
I remember the practical question was about a metal less reactive than Magnesium but more reactive than Lead and you have to describe its reaction with an acid.
sounds like we did similar chem tests lol

k150764

HSC

yea i agree.. especially the chemistry paper.. everyone was shocked at it..so hard:mad:

but ancient history was easy.....:lol:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Our Extension Maths exam was way harder than the past papers.

HSC
N/A

tommykins said:
Get used to it, HSC only tests like 60-70% of your knowledge in the exam.
whats the rest of the exam based on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)