• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Prelim year! (1 Viewer)

angela_12

HSC
Well, I've finished my prelim year and I'm starting to get back my results from the exams that I've done.For the exams my percentage ranged from 44%-70%.I did worst in the prelim exams compared to my half yearlies.I just want to know that if I actually put more effort in my subjects, not study like a few days before the exam and do homework, past papers etc will I be able to be in the 80%-100% range and get high marks for Year 12. I really want to excel, do well and get a 85+ ATAR in order to go to USYD.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I've seen people in situations where the odds would be heavily stacked against them, yet they've been able to life themselves up and do well

Some of these people were getting all their marks in the 20 - 50% range in the preliminary year but had managed to pull off a few band 6's in the HSC

angela_12

HSC
that sounds really good :) I really want to do well, but I'm scared I won't be able to handle the pressure of studying and excelling ... I do better in the internal exams (assignments/assessments and okay - excellent in exams)

CanU_Not

HSC
Don't just tell yourself to do it though. Actually study, like right now. I've been having the same problems as you (studying the night before, pulling all-nighters, waking up at ungodly hours to cram in statistics and formulas) and frankly what made me want to push for the switch was not the marks (80%-100% imma good at fluking LOL) but rather the sheer amount of stress and self-hate that I inflicted upon myself during and after the exams/ assessments. Plus I was pretty screwed in the prelim exam block lol. Waking up at 3am all day, everyday lewl.

What I found I also tended to do was justify that if I had studied, I would have gotten a higher rank etc. or that they were all silly mistakes. Thing is, that kind of mentality doesn't get you anywhere because you pretty much give yourself a reason not to change anything because you've just made it all OK in your head.

Personally, I'm starting small-giving myself to-do lists that I have to complete every night and slowly building up from there. Good luck! :)

angela_12

HSC
The amount of times I wanted to cry because I felt shit about myself and why I always leave things to last minute.I'm planning to read all my texts, have small goals, just do everything to the best of my ability in order to improve. I currently have no motivation because after getting almost all of my prelim papers back from my exam I literally contemplated school and the HSC. 'It's easier said than done' is basically what I'm trying to convey BUT GOD HELP ME I NEED TO DO WELL!

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I think it's definitely possible. I know someone who got a D in chemistry in year 11 and came first in their school in it in year 12.
You also need to be honest with yourself though. If you did put in a sufficient amount of effort in some of your subjects and you didn't do well you should drop it, or consider where you're going wrong. Because sometimes as much effort as u put in, it doesn't pull off. To get 85 + ATAR wise you should get a few band 5s or high band 4s. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)