Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (2 Viewers)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
haha why did you pick art?

Yeah its a lot like phys imo, a lot of its like 'applied theory' as opposed to core which is more like 'memorise and regurgitate'.

But yeah I was wondering how you can use the spectrochemical series as justification for differing colours in conjunction with the crystal field theory and electron degeneracy etc? SO CONFUSED :(
It looked really cool and interesting. I was scrolling through the syllabus looking for something and I found this page about sub shell filling and I was like 'what?! You can do this?!' But I now regret my choice as it's been so hard to do with no teacher. And yeah, I lovelovelove that's actually about understanding concepts rather than rote learning.

I might swap to my laptop to answer the spectrochemical series/electron degeneracy question, because it will probably take a while to type out. Just give me a sec...

HSC
You know you don't even need a teacher to learn Industrial.

It is so easy, the minute you read/learn it, 90% of the content will remain in your head.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Okay yay, this thread is back! Sorry to all non-chem of art peasants, just ignore this stuff.

The spectrochemical series orders ligands based on their strength. This is important because the strength of the ligand determines whether you'll be dealing with a high-spin or low-spin complex. If you have a weak field ligand the degeneracy will be low (high spin complex); if you have a strong field ligand it will be high (low spin complex). This is because the approach of a ligand will have a disproportionate effect on the electrons. Those is certain orbitals (dependent on the geometry of the ion) will be repulsed more than others. That's basic crystal field theory (which is technically not a 1000% accurate theory, but if it's wrong and it works it doesn't matter too much that it's wrong at HSC level, it's still used in first-year uni according to the MIT lectures I watched about it on the internet). Anyway, what happens to give complexes of transition metals their vibrant colours is that they absorb light and electrons can transition from the lower-energy orbitals to the higher-energy orbitals, and they reflect the complementary colour. In most cases they reflect wavelengths in the visible spectrum which our eyes perceive as colour (yay pretty).

SuchSmallHands

HSC
You know you don't even need a teacher to learn Industrial.

It is so easy, the minute you read/learn it, 90% of the content will remain in your head.
Yeah, industrial looked really easy. Chem of art looked really interesting though, and it will save me some time next year because a lot of what we cover is in the first-year chem course.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
WOW thanks SSH, thats actually worded so well.

SSH > mychemteacher for sure

thank you :))
Hahahah this part took me forrevverr to sort out the answer too. Everything was so confusing and not at all written for a high school chemistry level! Glad I could help :)

HSC
gg RIP phys. decided to wing it, cos I have 15 3u maths hsc past papers left to do :/
Pls shut up.
You're going to ace both exams.
Okay yay, this thread is back! Sorry to all non-chem of art peasants, just ignore this stuff.

The spectrochemical series orders ligands based on their strength. This is important because the strength of the ligand determines whether you'll be dealing with a high-spin or low-spin complex. If you have a weak field ligand the degeneracy will be low (high spin complex); if you have a strong field ligand it will be high (low spin complex). This is because the approach of a ligand will have a disproportionate effect on the electrons. Those is certain orbitals (dependent on the geometry of the ion) will be repulsed more than others. That's basic crystal field theory (which is technically not a 1000% accurate theory, but if it's wrong and it works it doesn't matter too much that it's wrong at HSC level, it's still used in first-year uni according to the MIT lectures I watched about it on the internet). Anyway, what happens to give complexes of transition metals their vibrant colours is that they absorb light and electrons can transition from the lower-energy orbitals to the higher-energy orbitals, and they reflect the complementary colour. In most cases they reflect wavelengths in the visible spectrum which our eyes perceive as colour (yay pretty).
Industrial > Chem of art
lol dude if only we could pick our options :(

biochemistry of movement would be mine <3 its like 90% pd just with legit equations
School can only force you to do an option for trials.

For HSC you can do any option.

In my school, 2 classes did Industrial, 2 did Shipwrecks. After trials, 3 shipwrecks kids decided they were going to do industrial in HSC

mreditor16

HSC
do u fink this is a phys thred or sumthing!!?!?!?!?!?!

pls. I have chem AND 3u AND phys. I should be RIPing phys, I haven't even revised anything

lol why do you do the whole paper? just do the hard questions no use wasting time on stuff you know and have practiced throughout the year
lol legit feel like ripping my phys success one.

I'm doing the whole papers, because I legit have this OCD tendency to want to do the whole paper :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC
lol dude if only we could pick our options :(

biochemistry of movement would be mine <3 its like 90% pd just with legit equations
I just flat out told my teacher I wasn't going to do shipwrecks, he was pretty cool with it, and could help out on some things. The phys class at my school (what the heelll was I doing choosing modern over physics?) did quanta to quarks too, so I went to their classes for a little while and their teacher was really helpful as well. I also emailled a lot of questions to a teacher at Baulko who really knew his shit.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
lol I know 3u will be fine.

but phys, for external, I'm only just going to scrape band 6 :/ :mad: :uhoh:

and I'm not being a snake, I'm actually being legit ;/
Oh god, my dream is to scrape a band 6 in chem haha. I must have such low standards

mreditor16

HSC
I just flat out told my teacher I wasn't going to do shipwrecks, he was pretty cool with it, and could help out on some things. The phys class at my school (what the heelll was I doing choosing modern over physics?) did quanta to quarks too, so I went to their classes for a little while and their teacher was really helpful as well. I also emailled a lot of questions to a teacher at Baulko who really knew his shit.
congrats - 1000th post ;D

SuchSmallHands

HSC
congrats - 1000th post ;D
Ugh my post count doesn't work properly recently (I think procrastination has made me post so much that the counter can't keep up haha). I was on 977 for like a week despite posting heaps and then I was stuck on 981 for ages too. But still, yay haha.

HSC
lol legit feel like ripping my phys success one.

I'm doing the whole papers, because I legit have this OCD tendency to want to do the whole paper :/
Hahahaha! Do you do question 1?

I just mentally do it. Ceebs putting in effort for q1.

Bad habit though, I skip so many lines when I come to doing them properly.

lol I know 3u will be fine.

but phys, for external, I'm only just going to scrape a 97 or 98 :/ :mad: :uhoh:

and I'm not being a snake, I'm actually being legit ;/
ftfy

SuchSmallHands

HSC
the teacher who SSH contacted is the new phys teacher (head teacher).
Yeah, he was really great. He's taught chem of art for like ten years and knew the answer to pretty much every question I asked him (my chem teacher just looks at me like 'huh? girl you crazy')

SuchSmallHands

HSC
ohhh right lol

inb4 ssh goes to my old school, he used to teach there lol

ssh do you go to an all girls school?
Cheltenham? Nope haha, I go to a rural school. I just heard he was amazing for chem of art and thought I'd give it a try (I really wasn't expecting him to reply, but he actually did).

HSC
honestly fk off faisal, you're not helping.
Calm downnnnnnnnn, it was a joke.

Knowing you however i am fairly confident you'll end up with an overall mark of 94+

Because of the fact that you are ranked well internally for all subjects not just phys and knowing your work ethic and diligence...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)