Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (3 Viewers)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
As a lazy shit who has never once had the motivation to actually do this, I admire you beyond words.
Aww you're too kind <3

Please don't address yourself like that :( I'm sure you are incredibly motivated and talented, and that comes through from your detailed chemistry responses!

But honestly I do it quite ineffectively. As you can see I'm on bos half the time I'm doing English purely for entertainment hahah.
But if you need motivation, just tell yourself "This is the last time EVER I'll need to do this" and then it'll feel much better :D

Omg 2 more essays to learn!

we shall wait for enigma to answer the question then :D
Sorry about that, btw you guys can post up another question. I'll do this one now :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Aww you're too kind <3

Please don't address yourself like that :( I'm sure you are incredibly motivated and talented, and that comes through from your detailed chemistry responses!

But honestly I do it quite ineffectively. As you can see I'm on bos half the time I'm doing English purely for entertainment hahah.
But if you need motivation, just tell yourself "This is the last time EVER I'll need to do this" and then it'll feel much better :D

Omg 2 more essays to learn!
I'm a humanities kid and even I don't think English is fun! I think I just couldn't be bothered because almost all of my subjects have at least two essays around the 20-25 mark region and then Modern has two 10 mark and one 15 and Legal has one 15; remembering that many essays just wouldn't work well for me. The closest I ever got to memorising a whole essay was memorising one line with two complex conjugations to use in my French Ext speaking exam. Besides, I've always worked better when I'm under pressure and under prepared, especially in English. I do have serious problems with motivation though. I swear I'm the world's most relaxed student, so much so that it works to my detriment. I don't have related texts for any of my English units and I'm not even concerned yet, meanwhile you're committing whole essays to memory!

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'd post another question but my computer's 4gb RAM is not holding up well with me having every single Modern, Legal, 2U French and Chem paper for the last 14 years open right now and I'm scared that if I click on one of them the whole thing will shut down (and I don't have the original thought to come up with a question we haven't done by myself haha)

HSC
I'm a humanities kid and even I don't think English is fun! I think I just couldn't be bothered because almost all of my subjects have at least two essays around the 20-25 mark region and then Modern has two 10 mark and one 15 and Legal has one 15; remembering that many essays just wouldn't work well for me. The closest I ever got to memorising a whole essay was memorising one line with two complex conjugations to use in my French Ext speaking exam. Besides, I've always worked better when I'm under pressure and under prepared, especially in English. I do have serious problems with motivation though. I swear I'm the world's most relaxed student, so much so that it works to my detriment. I don't have related texts for any of my English units and I'm not even concerned yet, meanwhile you're committing whole essays to memory!
you should start finding related texts.

cbaldilocks

HSC
Preparing my anus for an onslaught of titration questions. And a long mark question on some random scientist I will no doubt forget to study. Praying hard for long answers on ozone and acid rain, but I doubt we will get let of that easy..

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
So sweet

Critically evaluate the extract with reference to ethanol being a ‘carbon-neutral’ fuel. Support your answer with relevant chemical equations. (5 marks)
I remember this was in hsc, I'll pretend that I remember the extract. It was something about a car manufacturer iirc.

Ethanol is a renewable resource as it is naturally obtained from cellulose which is a major component of biomass, equating to 50% of it. Firstly the cellulose is obtained from crops such as sugar cane and corn. The cellulose then undergoes enzymatic/acid digestion with concentrated 5 mol/L sulphuric acid to be broken down into Glucose. The glucose is then fermented (reactions conditions: 37 degrees Celsius, anaerobic environment to prevent the ethanol from oxidising into ethanoic acid [vinegar], presence of sulphate to prevent growth of bacteria,15% ethanol concentration, yeast enzymes: zymase, nitrates and phosphates: yeast nutrients and glucose).

Fermentation: C6H1206(aq) ------yeast enzymes, 37 degC ----> 2CO2(g) + 2C2H5OH(aq)

This produces 15% ethanol concentration which can be distilled to obtained higher concentrations such as ~ 95%.

Ethanol has several advantages for it's use:
1) Ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel because the CO2(g) released upon combustion of ethanol:

C2H5OH(aq) + 3O2(G) -----> 2CO2(g) + 3H2O(L)

is equivalent to the amount of carbon dioxide used in its photosynthesis.

6CO2(g) + 6H2O(l) ----sunlight/chlorophyll -- C6H12O6(aq) + 6O2(g)

2) Ethanol is a renewable resource as it is obtained from biomass, so it is a better alternative than octane which is obtained from non-renwable fossil fuels.

3) Ethanol is more likely to undergo complete combustion which does not produce any pollutants such as carbon (soot) or CO (which binds to haemoglobin 10 times faster than oxygen, preventing oxygen intake): eqn is above

[insert equation for combustion of octane here, releasing pollutants]

Disadvantages of using ethanol:
1) Ethanol at present is not economically viable as a complete replacement because

2) Ethanol to be used in concentrations greater than 10% in engines require engine modifications to prevent knocking.

3) For the plants and crops to be planted in third world countries, it would mean that resources are allocated to planting crops for ethanol production rather than for food in third world countries which could result in famine and is hence unfavourable.

4) Ethanol is not completely a carbon neutral fuel because during the distillation of ethanol, fossil fuels are utilised and this process also releases CO2(g) into the atmosphere, thus it not technically carbon neutral

EVALUATION: Ethanol is a renewable resource, however the extract (since it is written by a leading car manufacturer) fails to make reference to the CO2 released during other processes and thus the ethanol is NOT carbon neutral. The leading car manufacturer’s article is not accurate because it is not a reliable source and thus the statements made are not scientifically correct.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
I remember this was in hsc, I'll pretend that I remember the extract. It was something about a car manufacturer iirc.

Ethanol is a renewable resource as it is naturally obtained from cellulose which is a major component of biomass, equating to 50% of it. Firstly the cellulose is obtained from crops such as sugar cane and corn. The cellulose then undergoes enzymatic/acid digestion with concentrated 5 mol/L sulphuric acid to be broken down into Glucose. The glucose is then fermented (reactions conditions: 37 degrees Celsius, anaerobic environment to prevent the ethanol from oxidising into ethanoic acid [vinegar], presence of sulphate to prevent growth of bacteria,15% ethanol concentration, yeast enzymes: zymase, nitrates and phosphates: yeast nutrients and glucose).

Fermentation: C6H1206(aq) ------yeast enzymes, 37 degC ----> 2CO2(g) + 2C2H5OH(aq)

This produces 15% ethanol concentration which can be distilled to obtained higher concentrations such as ~ 95%.

1) Ethanol is a carbon neutral fuel because the CO2(g) released upon combustion of ethanol:

2) Ethanol is a renewable resource as it is obtained from biomass, so it is a better alternative than octane which is obtained from non-renwable fossil fuels.

3) Ethanol is more likely to undergo complete combustion which does not produce any pollutants such as carbon (soot) or CO (which binds to haemoglobin 10 times faster than oxygen, preventing oxygen intake): eqn is above

1) Ethanol at present is not economically viable as a complete replacement because

2) Ethanol to be used in concentrations greater than 10% in engines require engine modifications to prevent knocking.

3) For the plants and crops to be planted in third world countries, it would mean that resources are allocated to planting crops for ethanol production rather than for food in third world countries which could result in famine and is hence unfavourable.

4) Ethanol is not completely a carbon neutral fuel because during the distillation of ethanol, fossil fuels are utilised and this process also releases CO2(g) into the atmosphere, thus it not technically carbon neutral

EVALUATION: Ethanol is a renewable resource, however the extract (since it is written by a leading car manufacturer) fails to make reference to the CO2 released during other processes and thus the ethanol is NOT carbon neutral. The leading car manufacturer’s article is not accurate because it is not a reliable source and thus the statements made are not scientifically correct.
damm; if you combine all the effort I put into my posts; it would not amount to half of this

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Oh wow my apologies I'm not sure what got to me, but the part you bolded, I literally must have written that subconsciously haha! What I meant was that I'm doing engligh whilst being on bos, because bos is more entertaining ahahah

OMG that's so many humanities!!!

But yeah for belonging you'll be saved by the comprehension texts that they'll provide *thank god)! which you can use as relateds

Like for me, it takes me a month to write one essay properly, and that only obtains average marks so if I had to make it up in the exam can guarantee I would be averaging 6-7/20 lol so yeah I've got no choice but to memorise it otherwise I'll have to accept my failure.

All the best though! I'm sure you'll be able to cope just fine! :D

Hi there444

HSC

Yeh they gave us an extract and told use to evaluate the extract. But this question i think is more from cssa

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
damm; if you combine all the effort I put into my posts; it would not amount to half of this
ahhahhah welcome back to this thread :)

for chem I legit have to ace external otherwise my cohort's gonna drag me down like crazy.
Adrita gave me an example and it was horrific D:

SuchSmallHands

HSC

Maybe just writing one sentence on how maintaining fermentation conditions requires energy and crop sowing/harvesting requires energy (that we currently get from fossil fuels, like you noted for distillation) would give you a definite 5/5. You'd probably have done that if the extract wasn't still awaiting copyright and I could have included it though, so I'll give you 5 anyway (nice people like me should be marking the HSC)

HSC
N/A
Here's a question that I found to be absolutely impossible to get full marks on from my trial, if anyone wants to have a go.

Which allotrope [oxygen or ozone] would you expect to have a higher boiling point? Justify your answer. (2 marks)

PS. you must have 2 reasons

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Maybe just writing one sentence on how maintaining fermentation conditions requires energy and crop sowing/harvesting requires energy (that we currently get from fossil fuels, like you noted for distillation) would give you a definite 5/5. You'd probably have done that if the extract wasn't still awaiting copyright and I could have included it though, so I'll give you 5 anyway (nice people like me should be marking the HSC)
Oooh ok I was not aware of this! Thanks heaps :)))

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Here's a question that I found to be absolutely impossible to get full marks on from my trial, if anyone wants to have a go.

Which allotrope [oxygen or ozone] would you expect to have a higher boiling point? Justify your answer. (2 marks)

PS. you must have 2 reasons
I think Ozone will because I Googled it

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Oh wow my apologies I'm not sure what got to me, but the part you bolded, I literally must have written that subconsciously haha! What I meant was that I'm doing engligh whilst being on bos, because bos is more entertaining ahahah

OMG that's so many humanities!!!

But yeah for belonging you'll be saved by the comprehension texts that they'll provide *thank god)! which you can use as relateds

Like for me, it takes me a month to write one essay properly, and that only obtains average marks so if I had to make it up in the exam can guarantee I would be averaging 6-7/20 lol so yeah I've got no choice but to memorise it otherwise I'll have to accept my failure.

All the best though! I'm sure you'll be able to cope just fine! :D
Thank god, I was worried for your health there. 3U French, Legal, Modern, 4U English and then, out of no where, I chose Chemistry. Everyone is still confused as to what the hell I'm doing in that class. I've read a lot of books in the days before the HSC destroyed any love of literature I started with, so it's not that hard for me to source sophisticated related texts (I tend to use Anna Karenina for like everything, since it's the best book ever written and all, so I have some background on that if I want to use it for belonging too). Besides I did poetry for EE2, so I researched a million really short related texts there haha. I don't really know what my on the spot essays will score in the HSC, my teacher is a super relaxed marker and only acknowledged that one of my crappy trial essays was crappy (he gave me 15 for Belonging and 20, 19 and 16 for modules). I think a HSC marker would have smashed them though. So yeah, moral of the story, I should go find related texts as soon as I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)