Predictions for Chemistry 2014 HSC? (1 Viewer)

zhertec

HSC
Someone answer this?
Ethene is used in the industry for multiple purposes, mainly in the production of polymers such as polyethylene, and polyvinyl chloride (when reacted with chlorine gas with the presence of oxygen), greatly changing the properties of the polymer. Ethene is often used in the industry due to its ability to be chemically reacted with other feedstock in order to produce a diverse array of products. It can be used to form the polymer, polyethylene from radical polymerisation or in the presence of a zeigler natta catalyst to form different types of polyethylene for multiple applications. It can also be reacted with halogens under specific conditions to form haloalkenes, which can then be polymerised to form polymers with different properties, specific to its application. Ethene can also be reacted with water (in the presence of a dilute acid) to form ethanol, a valuable source of renewable fuel which can be mixed with other fuels such as octane to decrease the detrimental environmental impacts when combusted, due to the shorter chain, which results in "cleaner" burning of fuels.
However Ethene is mostly obtained from petrochemicals which are non-renewable resources, through catalytic cracking; and although there are other methods to obtain ethene (through the anaerobic fermentation of glucose, and then using a concentrated acid to dehydrate the ethanol produced), these methods have shown to be much more expensive and require fertile land to be successful, in which some countries such as Australia, are not able to provide these conditions due to the arid environment.
Overall Ethene is an invaluable raw material as it can be converted into other chemicals relatively easily to produce products that can be used in a diverse range of applications.

I would shove some equations there but I gotta finish my notes now lol. And this is kind of a fragmented answer as I have not studied yet....I know bad right?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Ethene is used in the industry for multiple purposes, mainly in the production of polymers such as polyethylene, and polyvinyl chloride (when reacted with chlorine gas with the presence of oxygen), greatly changing the properties of the polymer. Ethene is often used in the industry due to its ability to be chemically reacted with other feedstock in order to produce a diverse array of products. It can be used to form the polymer, polyethylene from radical polymerisation or in the presence of a zeigler natta catalyst to form different types of polyethylene for multiple applications. It can also be reacted with halogens under specific conditions to form haloalkenes, which can then be polymerised to form polymers with different properties, specific to its application. Ethene can also be reacted with water (in the presence of a dilute acid) to form ethanol, a valuable source of renewable fuel which can be mixed with other fuels such as octane to decrease the detrimental environmental impacts when combusted, due to the shorter chain, which results in "cleaner" burning of fuels.
However Ethene is mostly obtained from petrochemicals which are non-renewable resources, through catalytic cracking; and although there are other methods to obtain ethene (through the anaerobic fermentation of glucose, and then using a concentrated acid to dehydrate the ethanol produced), these methods have shown to be much more expensive and require fertile land to be successful, in which some countries such as Australia, are not able to provide these conditions due to the arid environment.
Overall Ethene is an invaluable raw material as it can be converted into other chemicals relatively easily to produce products that can be used in a diverse range of applications.

I would shove some equations there but I gotta finish my notes now lol. And this is kind of a fragmented answer as I have not studied yet....I know bad right?

whenever I see your username; I think of this:

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Here's a question:

Compare the properties and uses of TWO commercial radioisotopes and evaluate their effectiveness regarding their uses
(5 marks)

HSC
Here's a question:

Compare the properties and uses of TWO commercial radioisotopes and evaluate their effectiveness regarding their uses
(5 marks)
Technetium -99m is a radioactive tracer isotope used in the medical field for diagnostic imaging. It is injected into the patients blood stream where it maps out specific areas of circulatory problems, disorders and traumas. Its movement is monitored through a scintillation camera. Technetium -99m is widely used in the medical field because its short half life of 6 hours, thus the radiation within the human body decreases fairly quickly. Also, the m in "99m" means metable state ensuring that technetium does not transform into any substance in the body, thus reducing the harm factor significanlty. Also, it is gamma emitter, so low energy rays passed out, being beneficial as previously stated, as less radiation remains in the body. In regards to chemical properties, technetium 99m can bind to specific body organs and target specific areas of need where there may be circulatory problems or disorders. This property, is why it is used widely as it doesn't not pose a massive threat against other cells, and targets specific areas of need.

Cobalt-60 is also used in the medical field, but also in the industry. Cobalt-60 is used in the medical field to kill cancerous cells. Like technetium, cobalt 60 is a gamma emitter, that can penetrate metal and is used in the medical field to cancerous cells. However, cobalt 60 has a longer half life of 5.3 years in comparison to technetium, thus it's use must be quick and direct (in regards to killing cells) to prevent any mishaps that could occur from the spread of this radioisotope. Cobalt 60 is chemically inert and unreactive, hence its use in the sterilsation of hospital equipment along with food. Cobalt 60 because of this property, prevents microbial growth in food and prevents spoilage. Cobalt - 60 unlike technetium is able to penetrate metal, and is used to detect cracks and flaws in the wings of planes, to ensure safety and minimise risk hazards.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Technetium -99m is a radioactive tracer isotope used in the medical field for diagnostic imaging. It is injected into the patients blood stream where it maps out specific areas of circulatory problems, disorders and traumas. Its movement is monitored through a scintillation camera. Technetium -99m is widely used in the medical field because its short half life of 6 hours, thus the radiation within the human body decreases fairly quickly. Also, the m in "99m" means metable state ensuring that technetium does not transform into any substance in the body, thus reducing the harm factor significanlty. Also, it is gamma emitter, so low energy rays passed out, being beneficial as previously stated, as less radiation remains in the body. In regards to chemical properties, technetium 99m can bind to specific body organs and target specific areas of need where there may be circulatory problems or disorders. This property, is why it is used widely as it doesn't not pose a massive threat against other cells, and targets specific areas of need.

Cobalt-60 is also used in the medical field, but also in the industry. Cobalt-60 is used in the medical field to kill cancerous cells. Like technetium, cobalt 60 is a gamma emitter, that can penetrate metal and is used in the medical field to cancerous cells. However, cobalt 60 has a longer half life of 5.3 years in comparison to technetium, thus it's use must be quick and direct (in regards to killing cells) to prevent any mishaps that could occur from the spread of this radioisotope. Cobalt 60 is chemically inert and unreactive, hence its use in the sterilsation of hospital equipment along with food. Cobalt 60 because of this property, prevents microbial growth in food and prevents spoilage. Cobalt - 60 unlike technetium is able to penetrate metal, and is used to detect cracks and flaws in the wings of planes, to ensure safety and minimise risk hazards.
5/5 although it would have been good to say the evaluation at the bottom to make it more evident. But yeah really good!

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Next question: Explain how either the Geiger Muller counter OR the Wilson Cloud Chamber works to detect radiation and include a relevant diagram
(3 marks)

HSC
Next question: Explain how either the Geiger Muller counter OR the Wilson Cloud Chamber works to detect radiation and include a relevant diagram
(3 marks)
Geiger counter consists of a conductive tube filled with argon gas and high voltage connected to the outercasing and an electrode. Radiation ionises argon atoms and the high voltage causes the resulting electrons to accelerate towards the electrode, ionising more argon atoms.

Just for the lols, cloud chamber as well.
Cloud chamber consists of an air tight box with a supersaturated vapour, either water or alcohol which is cooled by dry ice. Radiation ionises the air and the vapour condenses leaving a visible trail of radiation.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Geiger counter consists of a conductive tube filled with argon gas and high voltage connected to the outercasing and an electrode. Radiation ionises argon atoms and the high voltage causes the resulting electrons to accelerate towards the electrode, ionising more argon atoms.

Just for the lols, cloud chamber as well.
Cloud chamber consists of an air tight box with a supersaturated vapour, either water or alcohol which is cooled by dry ice. Radiation ionises the air and the vapour condenses leaving a visible trail of radiation.
2/3 no diagram?

haha jks but good.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
K one more question for now: Explain how ONE or TWO instruments/devices are used to detect the concentration of ozone in the stratosphere. Explain how they work lol
(2 marks for one device) or (4 marks for 2 devices)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
K one more question for now: Explain how ONE or TWO instruments/devices are used to detect the concentration of ozone in the stratosphere. Explain how they work lol
(2 marks for one device) or (4 marks for 2 devices)
Thought this thread had died! Yay we're back

Satellite based instruments can be used to detect ozone concentration in the stratosphere. Following calibration issues with the last Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) unit in orbit, they were replaced in 2007 by the Ozone Mapping Instrument operated from the NASA Aura. Satellite based instruments map differences in incoming solar energy and backscattered UV light across earth. In doing so, these instruments highlight areas if weakness in the ozone layer by noting the failure of the ozone layer to absorb UV light.
The Donson Ozone Spectrophotometer is a ground based izone concentration detection system that is less precise than satellite based models and thus primarily used for corroborating satellite data. It works by measuring the amount if one wavelength of UVA radiation reaching earth, which does not have the energy to photolysise ozone and thus is not absorbed by the ozone layer, against one wavelength of UVB radiation, which does have the energy to photolysise ozone and thus will reach earth in an amount which is directly proportional to ozone concentration in the stratosphere.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC

Satellite based instruments can be used to detect ozone concentration in the stratosphere. Following calibration issues with the last Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) unit in orbit, they were replaced in 2007 by the Ozone Mapping Instrument operated from the NASA Aura. Satellite based instruments map differences in incoming solar energy and backscattered UV light across earth. In doing so, these instruments highlight areas if weakness in the ozone layer by noting the failure of the ozone layer to absorb UV light.
The Donson Ozone Spectrophotometer is a ground based izone concentration detection system that is less precise than satellite based models and thus primarily used for corroborating satellite data. It works by measuring the amount if one wavelength of UVA radiation reaching earth, which does not have the energy to photolysise ozone and thus is not absorbed by the ozone layer, against one wavelength of UVB radiation, which does have the energy to photolysise ozone and thus will reach earth in an amount which is directly proportional to ozone concentration in the stratosphere.
heyy gurrl! Hahah nahh we're up and running!

Really good 4/4 :))

Someone post a question. I want to answer/

HSC

that terminology. :D

SuchSmallHands

HSC
That's supposed to be Dobson Ozone Spetrophotometer too, I was on my phone and autocorrect decided to make me look like an idiot.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
So sweet

Critically evaluate the extract with reference to ethanol being a ‘carbon-neutral’ fuel. Support your answer with relevant chemical equations. (5 marks)
Ooh yay I'll do this as soon as I finish memorising the end of my essay :)))

That's supposed to be Dobson Ozone Spetrophotometer too, I was on my phone and autocorrect decided to make me look like an idiot.
hahah I know dem feels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)