ppl's notes/assessments being downloaded (1 Viewer)

sugared plum

HSC
i'm talking about the resources from boredofstudies.org

i have a legal studies student i tutor who, claiming i am wrong/or something, brought in 2 assignments downloaded from bos, which apparently got full marks, and said this is what i have to do you're wrong.
basic things like incorrect use of terms/grammatical error/legislation,case misinterpretation/incorrect referencing; and also theoretical problems, inadequate examples, no support for claims, in some parts were not a good guideline of the standard required in the hsc exam/at some schools.

i think something needs to be done? like an editing/screening squad would be fantastic but perhaps too much work. otherwise a note on fallibility of resources?

the site does a lot of good stuff, but can be limiting when students accept the work of other students without consideration.

sugared plum

HSC
Without Wings said:
bos does not state that the resources will get the students full marks and are correct. They merely have them as resources that other students have compiled. If another student claims to have got full marks for an assignment, it doesn't necessarily mean someone else will and that it is the correct way to do something. Nowhere does bos state that.
i know that. i never said bos stated the assignments were full marks worthy etc. and as if they would?
the student said the assignments were full marks, because whoever uploaded it wrote in the decription full marks etc. obviously bos is not responsible for that, it'd just be nice to have a little note there.

sunny

meh.
HSC
sugared plum said:
the student said the assignments were full marks, because whoever uploaded it wrote in the decription full marks etc. obviously bos is not responsible for that, it'd just be nice to have a little note there.
There is actually such note linked at the bottom of each page in the main site:
Disclaimer said:
The materials provided at this Website (and any links from this Website)
are provided "as is". To the maximum extent permitted under the law, BOS
makes no representations or warranties of any kind, either express or
implied, including (without limitation) warranties of merchantability,
fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement of intellectual
property. BOS does not warrant the accuracy and completeness of
information accessed at or through this Website
. BOS may make changes to
the materials at this Website at any time without notice. The materials at
this Website may be out of date, and BOS makes no commitment to update the
materials at this Website.
It is common sense that getting full marks in one school does not mean it was remotely correct. When using resources and there is doubt, then that resource would be taken as lightly as possible, even if its "full marks".

The resources are checked before they are uploaded, but mainly to filter utter junk and not being scanned in word for word detail.

But you still have a good suggestion of not indicating the quality of the resource when it is being uploaded.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sugared plum said:

i have a legal studies student i tutor who, claiming i am wrong/or something, brought in 2 assignments downloaded from bos, which apparently got full marks, and said this is what i have to do you're wrong.
basic things like incorrect use of terms/grammatical error/legislation,case misinterpretation/incorrect referencing; and also theoretical problems, inadequate examples, no support for claims, in some parts were not a good guideline of the standard required in the hsc exam/at some schools.

i think something needs to be done? like an editing/screening squad would be fantastic but perhaps too much work. otherwise a note on fallibility of resources?

the site does a lot of good stuff, but can be limiting when students accept the work of other students without consideration.
You shouldnt be submitting resources on here and claiming them as your own work if thats what ur talkinh about

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
Ummm sorry but we are not an official site and you guys access these things for FREE remember. We do screen resources before they go up, as you would imagine many stupid things are submitted. Most of the moderators are currently studying at university and seeing as we arent being paid for what we do, we arent exactly going to spend 10 hours editing every grammatical or date or spelling error. If something looks like it would be helpful to someone else, offering a different perspective or some factual knowledge then we will upload it. Majority of the resources do not include marking criteria, so you dont really know what specifically the teachers were looking for when marking.
If you wish to see things which comply to official board of studies standards then feel free to go along to the online board of studies shop and buy some standards packages or student sample answers.
Anyway, our resources are not to be copied and printed out to hand straight to a teacher. It is the general expectation that people can get some new ideas and perspectives, but then form their own pieces which should be worded differently anyway.
A rating system may be appropriate but once again that is limited to opinion and something with 5 stars may have much waffling on while something with 1 star may not have been read past the first paragraph due to more complicated language or something like that.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
cro_angel said:
Ummm sorry but we are not an official site and you guys access these things for FREE remember. We do screen resources before they go up, as you would imagine many stupid things are submitted. Most of the moderators are currently studying at university and seeing as we arent being paid for what we do, we arent exactly going to spend 10 hours editing every grammatical or date or spelling error. If something looks like it would be helpful to someone else, offering a different perspective or some factual knowledge then we will upload it. Majority of the resources do not include marking criteria, so you dont really know what specifically the teachers were looking for when marking.
If you wish to see things which comply to official board of studies standards then feel free to go along to the online board of studies shop and buy some standards packages or student sample answers.
Anyway, our resources are not to be copied and printed out to hand straight to a teacher. It is the general expectation that people can get some new ideas and perspectives, but then form their own pieces which should be worded differently anyway.
A rating system may be appropriate but once again that is limited to opinion and something with 5 stars may have much waffling on while something with 1 star may not have been read past the first paragraph due to more complicated language or something like that.
Maybe we should encode the resources so that if they are submitted to schools as original work that they are detected by plagarism software

sunny

meh.
HSC
Korn said:
Maybe we should encode the resources so that if they are submitted to schools as original work that they are detected by plagarism software
Not all schools bother doing that, but as most people already probably know, teachers regularly visit these sites and seen the resources on BOS.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sunny said:
Not all schools bother doing that, but as most people already probably know, teachers regularly visit these sites and seen the resources on BOS.
Yeah but do they memorise them? Im sure 1 or 2 might slip through the cracks

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
sugared plum said:

the requirements of different assessments should be taken into consideration.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Korn said:
Yeah but do they memorise them? Im sure 1 or 2 might slip through the cracks
Then they will fail miserably when they do an exam without Internet access.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sunny said:
Then they will fail miserably when they do an exam without Internet access.
Not if they memorise the stuff or learn it in break

sunny

meh.
HSC
Korn said:
Not if they memorise the stuff or learn it in break
If they've put enough effort into memorise an entire resource, which may be several pages long, then at least some of it would have absorbed into them.

Yes, people might copy resources off BOS and submit them as their own. Can BOS control it, and is it BOS' problem? No.

If you want to stop plagarism from this site the simple solution is to pull off all the resources.

There is no point in these "what if" scenarios - its all the same.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Editting the resources would take far too long, as there are probably still 100s queued up for submission.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Everyone knows nothing on the net is completely trust worthy, when using any info off the net the first thing you should do is look at the source...This is a student site so dont expect 100% perfect answers, second thing you should do is compare info from many sources and thirdly you need to be sensible when using net resources, use your common sense just because someone got full marks doesnt mean it is flawless

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
pff BOS got me thorugh hsc. i just downloaded a king lear speech and memorised it word by word. then in the HSC wrote it out . bos saved me thank yuo so much

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Bored of Studies does not create the information we provide you. Like any resource you should cross-reference with other resources in order to generate the most accurate information.

Your school may (and should!) provide you with examples of previous students' work; treat the resources you download from BoS in a similar fashion and with equal discretion. Besides, if we were to appoint someone with enough free time to check every submission to this site we would not be providing the best service we can to you.

I wouldn't want someone copying my work word for word - I always find errors weeks or months later (even logic errors which slip past markers.. phew!)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The current system is by no means friendly for mods who have to sort through them, make sure they are as accurate to their current knowledge, scan for grammatical errors, etc. Then if something is incorrect or needs to be corrected, we must re-upload, copying all the submitters inputted information. As you can see, it is by no means an easy/accurate job.

If you can think (and if you can code/suggest) a better system, im sure the admins would love to hear about it.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe if someone submits notes they MUST check through for grammar mistakes...otherwise it wont be uploaded, then the mods could scan through, perhaps give a rating and post it

I also remember a few bennys said they could help if you'd like to lessen the load :D

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
AsyLum said:
The current system is by no means friendly for mods who have to sort through them, make sure they are as accurate to their current knowledge, scan for grammatical errors, etc. Then if something is incorrect or needs to be corrected, we must re-upload, copying all the submitters inputted information. As you can see, it is by no means an easy/accurate job.

If you can think (and if you can code/suggest) a better system, im sure the admins would love to hear about it.
hmm mel that would be difficult to do. the mods usually just run through spellcheck and let it go don't they?
yeah there are a heap of benefactors willing to help out. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
AsyLum said:

Random word generator:
a) at least the spelling will be accurate.
b) 90% of people won't be able to tell the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)