Postmodernism in Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

Karina92

HSC
Can anyone explain how Frankenstein is a post modern text?
I don't copmletely understand this....

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Do you have to talk about it? I know I didn't. I personally don't believe it's necessary. And since you (self-admittedly) don't understand it - I don't think it would be wise to put it in your essay.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
? I wouldn't say Frankenstein was postmodern, do you mean Blade Runner?

Comrade Lenin

HSC
N/A
unless you are talking about postmodernism in the nascent form that lyotard speaks of (i.e. the precipitation of the modern)

if not ur dumb cunt then lol

JesseMatheson

HSC
now now, theres no need for that kind of language..
Frankenstein is not a Postmodern text as it is written as a Romantacist text.

Postmodernism basically means that there is a belief that there is no god and that science is the best thing that has ever happened.
Romantacism means that God is almighty and that doing anything that would be going against nature or god himself (i.e. playing god...THANKS VICTOR) would be really bad.

you probably wont need to know this in an essay unless they ask you about context..which I guess could get answered.

good luck

xlantol

HSC
Hi,

Hope this helps:

Marry Shelly's Frankenstein can be considered a postmodernist text because it takes into account of contemporary issues faced in the 'everyday society'. To be able to interpret Frankensein as a contemporary text, you need to adapt a perception; for example: an existentialist view (there are fragments of existentialism in todays society - Deconstruction method).

Existentialism is a prominant issue explored through Shelly's exploration of the theme prejudice. Shelly has employed symbolism to articulate the meaning given to the monster. The monster is symbolic of humanities existentialist drive, or self actualising tendency it faces in the pursuit of science and knowledge. The insatiable desire to 'seek knowledge' will ultimately lead to the destruction of ones self. If we have a look at the 'monster', he is essentially an eloquent by-product of science. Its original intention was for the 'greater good of humanity' (add evidence) but in consequence it ends up destroying everything which leads the issue of the human condition...etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)