Post your chemistry mistakes here! (1 Viewer)

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
This thread is a compilation of all the mistakes you guys have made in chemistry that you never anticipated or lost or whatever.

This hopefully will be helpful in targeting our errors and preventing future ones from happening.

For example, I lost a mark in my chemistry test for not reading a graph carefully. It looked like a really flat line but it was kind of sloped.

:hammer:

If you get what I mean!

All the best guyssss

helloimyellow

HSC
I forgot to put borders around a table for a prac lol. Lost 2 marks gg

Another silly mistake I made was for the 'describe process of manufacturing sulfuric acid in industry' where I talked about manufacture of sulfur through frasch process - got 0/3. It's important to read the question carefully.

Last edited:

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
Very true! Congrats on that amazing chem mark though, seriously paid off :)

leehuan

HSC
I lost like 12 marks in the final exam. One of them was for foolishly reading a multiple choice question wrong. But thank goodness it was the only MC mark I lost.

Shuuya

HSC
Stupid mistake in a prac exam:
Not pouring out the damn water after finishing the prac when it said to do so in the method

Mr_Kap

HSC
In a prac exam i didn't put the correct sig figures.

ishfish

Lord of the Fries
HSC
Some good responses by you guys!

Here's another one,

I ran out of time for my exam because our stupid school made the test too long. I should have put a half way mark on the paper during reading time so I got a more accurate idea of when to finish it. I only realised halfway but by then, it was too late!

helloimyellow

HSC

Here's another one,

I ran out of time for my exam because our stupid school made the test too long. I should have put a half way mark on the paper during reading time so I got a more accurate idea of when to finish it. I only realised halfway but by then, it was too late!
Personally, the best way for me to time manage was to do multiple choice quickly (~10 min) then work through the paper chronologically. I would leave out any tricky questions or >5 markers to do later (basically the ones where the answer doesn't come straight away) so I don't get too bogged down. You might find a different way to be better but I hope this helps!!

leehuan

HSC
Personally, the best way for me to time manage was to do multiple choice quickly (~10 min) then work through the paper chronologically. I would leave out any tricky questions or >5 markers to do later (basically the ones where the answer doesn't come straight away) so I don't get too bogged down. You might find a different way to be better but I hope this helps!!
Lol ikr

But I always just did the paper in order. Because I wasn't fazed by different types of questions; I juggled short responses, long responses and calculations quite well.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Lol ikr

But I always just did the paper in order. Because I wasn't fazed by different types of questions; I juggled short responses, long responses and calculations quite well.
I always do multiple choice last, because it's a lot easier to do them in 30 seconds then a short answer response.
With multiple choice you can usually eliminate some of the answers at a glance, and then your probability of getting them correct goes up lol
Works heaps better with physics than chemistry though..

leehuan

HSC
I always do multiple choice last, because it's a lot easier to do them in 30 seconds then a short answer response.
With multiple choice you can usually eliminate some of the answers at a glance, and then your probability of getting them correct goes up lol
Works heaps better with physics than chemistry though..
I used the exact same strategy for chemistry as with physics. And my exam mark was reported a 93 in both cases.

Mr_Kap

HSC

Here's another one,

I ran out of time in my trials because i was going too slow and it was my first science "trial exam" and got 56% or something like that. All other exams and assignments before that i was getting in the nineties and was coming first. Ended up getting 90 exam mark in the HSC for chem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)