• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

polymers (1 Viewer)

pqd123

HSC
i need to write an essay "evaluate the use of polymers in today's society". i know theyre used for plastics and stuff but i dont think thats enough for a 1-2 page essay so can someone give me a plan of wat else i should put in

sam5

HSC
i need to write an essay "evaluate the use of polymers in today's society". i know theyre used for plastics and stuff but i dont think thats enough for a 1-2 page essay so can someone give me a plan of wat else i should put in
alrighty.

Talk about 3 or 4 polymers (polyethylene, polystyrene, polyvinylchloride and possible a biopolymer such as biopol (you may not have done that yet))

Talk about the monomer that makes them up, the reaction that occurs to produce the polymer, the physical properties of each polymer, the uses for the polymer (that stem from the properties) and the impact on society the polymer has had.

e.g. For Polyethylene: polyethylene is a polymer produced from ethylene monomers. This reaction occurs in three stages: initiation, propagation and termination. Initiation occurs when ehtylene molecules are exposed to a chemical initiator to allow them to form ethylene free radicals. Propagation is the connection of these molecules. Termination is the close of the reaction. The reaction occurs with a Zeigler-natta catalyst and at 300 degrees celsius. High pressure is used to make LDPE and low pressure is used to make HDPE. Polyethylene is inert, light, cheap, strong, resistant to uv breakdown or decomposition, is insoluble and non toxic. Thus, this makes it suitable for use for shampoo bottles, food containers, garbage bins and milk bottles. This has had a large impact on society as it has allowed cheap production of a chemical that is largely appropriate for transport and uses (as above). However, environmental impact is evident, as polyethylene does not decompose (as it is inert) and faces waste management issues.

You would put all that in, and more. (do more poylmers too).

that deserves rep dont it LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)