Political Compass - Find out what you really are... (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If it was the 1960s and we hadn't become so left wing and politically correct as a nation (refer to Andrew Bolts blog for many more examples) it wouldn't be 'stop the boats' it would be 'stop the muslims' or 'stop the asians' or 'stop the terrorists'.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
If it was the 1960s and we hadn't become so left wing and politically correct as a nation (refer to Andrew Bolts blog for many more examples) it wouldn't be 'stop the boats' it would be 'stop the muslims' or 'stop the asians' or 'stop the terrorists'.
Political correctness can also be a product of right wing conservatism as much as it can be a product of leftwing opinions. It is very much independent of political affiliation.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Political correctness can also be a product of right wing conservatism as much as it can be a product of leftwing opinions. It is very much independent of political affiliation.
to be quite honest 'political correctness' as a phenomenon owes a great deal to the leftist movements (linguistic turn, feminism, poststructuralism etc)

Lentern

HSC
A majority of Australians are now to the left as compared to what it was 60 years ago. Even the Liberals are now of the left akin to what Labor was back in the 1950s/60s.
incometax.jpg

Your move space cadet.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
In what sense has "right wing conservatism" (what is left wing conservatism???) been responsible for overt political correctness?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
In what sense has "right wing conservatism" (what is left wing conservatism???) been responsible for overt political correctness?
censorship of material not deemed family friendly in the media

Lentern

HSC
because its often done under the guise of "not offending people" and "protecting the children"
Interesting idea. I suppose the left flank of the entertainment industry tends to be willing to say absolutely outrageous things about priests be pedophiles etc, the conservative flank tends to be more nuanced when pushing an anti gay agenda or whatever.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
http://www.jazjaz.net/2009/01/controversial-advertising-top-10-of-2008-in-australia.html

you can argue ads 10, 8 and 2 were reported by those with views too conservative to accept them.
I'm more trying to find out what you think political correctness is

What I see it as is a problem with people's specific identity, not just stuff that is offensive. I don't think it's political correctness when Collective Shout w/ Melinda Tankard Reist get The Human Centipede 2 pulled out of cinemas, but it is when a man is fired for writing an article about Jeremy Lin titled 'Chink in the Armor [sic]'.

edit: but I do think both situations are fucking stupid especially when looked at their specific circumstances

Last edited:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
someone explain mine to me

left, libertarian

what does this mean

analyse me, computers.
It means you're a civil libertarian

you want people to be able to what they want in the privacy of their own homes, but not with their money or with their business(es)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I'm more trying to find out what you think political correctness is

What I see it as is a problem with people's specific identity, not just stuff that is offensive. I don't think it's political correctness when Collective Shout w/ Melinda Tankard Reist get The Human Centipede 2 pulled out of cinemas, but it is when a man is fired for writing an article about Jeremy Lin titled 'Chink in the Armor [sic]'.
ah fair enough i guess. I see it more as people deeming something offensive, and thus censoring/removing it from the public eye.

Wikipedia pretty much summarises what i think of it

"Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent. "

kfnmpah

HSC
that quiz isn't very accurate, then.

idgaf what people do as long as everyone helps other people out and everyone is happy and not killing everyone and shit.

free love, man. free love.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)