Poetry is stupid (1 Viewer)

live.fast

HSC
N/A
And if anyone still doesn't understand the point thepospinator, ign0r4mus and I are trying to make - then I bloody well resign myself to repeatedly stating the only fact I understand to be a universal truth:

Eliot was a gay man =)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
2syllables said:
seremify007 ); dont show off ur signature man, i dont give crap that u came 4th in the state man.

GO THE SOCCEROOS
Too bad for you.

Funnily enough noone ever said anything about it and it's been the same for a long time now... until in the past wk, 2 people have questioned it. Regardless of that, it wasn't intended to show off in case that's how you perceived it.

It was actually to add credibility to my posts when posting on the IPT board and also when I was considering offering tutoring... but hey, if you don't give a crap, that's fine by me.

And sigh, it was a real shame about that stupid call. I was all pissed off about that today.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
We don't know his intentions in the first place because they are clouded by his own devices, in particular that of allusion.
We do not know his intentions because we are not Eliot - any attempt to guess his intent will always be a personal interpretation, when frankly his intent has little to no bearing on the product. This phenomena has been labeled by some as 'the Death of the author', where an author(or artist for that matter) loses all rights and control over meaning once he or she has composed. A real life example would be if you said something and another person was offended - you may not have intended for there to be offense but it would now exist and your comment would have become offensive. In technical terms this would be saying several discourses can be derived from your product.

You'll also find that just because something is not 'clouded by devices' does not mean there is not a complex meaning behind it. You can take any advertisement for example - the intent is presumably to sell something, however often in the sexualised world of advertising you can see reflections on gender and power amongst other things. Which would most likely not have been something on the minds of most advertisers, however that reflection is still there despite lack of intent, and the image still has complex and in many ways indecipherable meanings despite being simple and not 'clouded'.

Also, allusion is often a deliberate technique of generating ambiguity - the fact that you use the term alluded seems to indicate you believe the intent was for a message to be implicit rather than explicit.

It is not the readers duty to try and guess the meaning. It'd be like me handing up an essay printed in white font (on the same colour paper) in response to a question and telling the marker, its your duty to figure out what the response is (if any exists), not mine to show you.
The type of essay you have been taught is designed to present an argument - which must be clear if a point is to be made, a poem is not bound by that same expectation. Further, essays can and have been written in forms different to what you posit such as fictocriticism, which many people do for English Extension 2 in the HSC as well as for Cultural Studies at university and allusion is often used in these.
You say that we have no clue on Eliot's specific intent, yet you then continue on to state that its black-and-white and something only available to those who research notes/transcripts. Which one is it? Since it is available to those who research notes and transcripts, then those who have already done so must have been able to extract his intentions. Hence why did you say we have no clue??
Nwatts seems to be saying that your desire to extract Eliot's exact intent and thus make his poetry explicit is a rather black and white approach. And I would agree with him, even with a memoir of Eliots we still would not have an exact idea for then we'd be making an interpretation again.

Well we dont, which results in us making inferences on what the point was and hence our own interpretations. Chances are, some and possibly most of these interpretations are wrong.
They're not wrong, no one's interpretation can ever really be 'wrong' for there is no such thing as definite meaning or absolute truth. If you go on to do Advanced English - module C: Telling the Truth, or History Extension then you'll cover this concept in more detail. However suffice to say, no one person's interpretation is ever really completely 'wrong'.

So how can we label Eliot and his poem as great unless we truly know that that was his intention??
You can label his poem as 'great' perhaps because it was of importance to the development of literature? Or because he achieved something few others in his time did? I mean I personally think Jane Austen is the most rubbishy thing since kingdom come but she it is hard to dispute that she is one of the great writers (which incidentally doesn't have anything to do with her intent).

To make a textual work that endorses no point, no meaning, only open ended ambiguity to which extremely subjective and speculative interpretation can be made on a poetry's MESSAGE and MEANING is what I would consider deceptively fraudulent.
All work is subjective, and there in fact a whole cultural and literary movement based on the idea that meaning can never really be fixed or known. Its called postmodernism.
In our society, we see through the tricks of psychics, and their 'work' is not considered in the same high esteem as Eliot's - but it is of the same nature - that the meaning itself becomes left to interpretation is not the work of a genius, but the work of a criminal!
Psychics do not use literary techniques, that is why they (arguably) are not held in the same regard as Eliot. I'm sure if a psychic published his or her 'visions' as a suite of poetry then they would be looked upon differently (though not neccesarily as valid foretelling).

There are a million texts out there, movies, books, poems, all of which, without needing to explicitly state the meaning, put it across in a way that the meaning itself CANNOT be subject to interpretation.
No. YOU may have interpreted only one meaning from the text, but that does not mean meanings do not exist. It would be folly for you to presume your perceptions are the limits to which discourses are bound.

Poet's dont write their poems with the plan that no one will understand their intention
I'd argue that Eliot did probably have some meaning in mind when composing, but as I've said earlier in my post - his intended meaning is not all that relevant.

The interpretive process was never intended to be applicable to a poetry's meaning. Nor to a poet's intentions.
Here you are interpreting an entire process, and labelling your interpretation as absolute fact. What is it that makes you believe your interpretation is any more valid?

has over/under judged his audience
Why presume you are of a level with his intended audience? You may be beneath the audience he was trying to reach or you may be above it and thus may have over complicated it. Of course this is all if you know what his intent was. Which it has been established, repeatedly, that you do not.

Last edited:
HSC
Eliot is a very sad, distressed and lonely, depressed man, that's the truth, accept it and get over it

Eliot shouldn't get any credit for his poem in the first place, "The Hollow Men" is a complete breach of copyright laws, alluding to heaps of different authors, big whoop, i can do that, that means i'm as good as Eliot, and if i'm as good as Eliot, that means he's a crap poet

and btw, it didn't require an essay to reply, who has time for such long posts...so little life

HSC
kami said:
You can label his poem as 'great' perhaps because it was of importance to the development of literature? Or because he achieved something few others in his time did? I mean I personally think Jane Austen is the most rubbishy thing since kingdom come but she it is hard to dispute that she is one of the great writers (which incidentally doesn't have anything to do with her intent).QUOTE]

man, Eliot's poem didn't contribute to future development, Dante's Inferno, Jopseph Conrad's HOD, Shakespeare (the list can go on)...and all the other various authors, and writers which Eliot alluded to did

he just alluded to their work...more the half the stuff in his poem isn't even his, a complete breach of copyright, i was Conrad, I'd sue him

Therefore, Eliot didn't contribute to literature

BUT, he did achieve something other's in his lifetime did......PLAGIARISM

probably one of the first and very few (at the time) to do so

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Okay. This is the simplest way I think I can make my point.

If you made a book, would you have made it with purpose? Or intention?

Because if you would have made it without any purpose, then okay, I agree with everything you've said. But you wouldn't have.

This 'Death of the author notion',

"any attempt to guess his intent will always be a personal interpretation, when frankly his intent has little to no bearing on the product. This phenomena has been labeled by some as 'the Death of the author', where an author loses all rights and control over meaning once he or she has composed."

This must be the most stupid notion I've ever come across. How can you believe that the author's own intent has little or no bearing on the product? For what then did they create their works? Every word, every technique, every part of their works would have been created WITH THAT INTENT in mind - so then where do YOU suddenly obtain all right and control over his meaning? And when do YOU suddenly obtain the right to dismiss ALL PURPOSE of his work?

The fact is, an author's intent CANNOT and SHOULD NEVER be dismissed, for the simple fact that his work is a product OF THAT INTENT - It's cause and effect - The cause for creating his work was that intent, and to remove it, changes the effect of his work to something else entirely.

Consider if you yourself were a writer of the Bible - would you want people suddenly reading that the meaning of 'love' is to kill others, from your work?

Would your original meaning or original purpose then, be of no consideration?

That you, the author, are probably dead now means nothing - what makes your work great is if it can still put forward that original meaning with clarity, so that such meaning cannot be re-intrepreted to suit the liking of just about anyone. Indeed, even though people at times have to re-interpret small, specific parts of the Scriptures, if it fits into overal clearer meaning of what the Bible puts forward, then it is probably better then not interpreting it at all - but the interpretation is still done ON the basis of the author's original intent, not with the disgusting disregard to it that you seem to be proposing, no, it has to be where the interpretive meaning is one of which can be derived from and fits into the rest of the work - interpretation like this is done ONLY WHERE NECCESSARY and NEVER on the basis of one's own personal wants to extract further or entirely different meanings, only on the BASIS of the author's ORIGINAL meaning and INTENT!

"A real life example would be if you said something and another person was offended - you may not have intended for there to be offense but it would now exist and your comment would have become offensive. In technical terms this would be saying several discourses can be derived from your product"
But there you go! Then doesn’t your intentional meaning, in that comment of offense, suddenly become THAT MUCH MORE important?
The person MUST understand your meaning, otherwise re/mis-interpretation of the meaning changes the EFFECT the other person wanted to bring about with his comment!
THAT’S why meaning is so important, especially ORIGINAL meaning. It does not matter that ‘several discourses’ can be derived from a product – what matters is what discourse was originally put forward purposefully for derivation FROM that product and whether such meaning was actually understood by whatever audience the work was intended for
"All work is subjective, and there in fact a whole cultural and literary movement based on the idea that meaning can never really be fixed or known. Its called postmodernism."

All work should NEVER be entirely and wholly subjective, to the point where the meaning too also becomes wholly subjective. Otherwise, all works becomes futile, if the purpose of the work (to put forward its original message and meaning) is never achieved. It’s called pointlessness.

"Psychics do not use literary techniques, that is why they (arguably) are not held in the same regard as Eliot. I'm sure if a psychic published his or her 'visions' as a suite of poetry then they would be looked upon differently (though not neccesarily as valid foretelling)"
If you'd read what I wrote, I stated that the work of a psychic and Eliot's own work are of THE SAME NATURE!
Consider all those times you've read those astrology sections of the newspaper, all the psychic readings that you've come across - yet just because YOU can re-interpret the meaning of those messages (due to their open ended ambiguity), does that make the message itself suddenly a valid foretelling? According to you, it does!
"...No. YOU may have interpreted only one meaning from the text, but that does not mean meanings do not exist. It would be folly for you to presume your perceptions are the limits to which discourses are bound..."
It would be folly for YOU to presume that there should be NO limits to which discourses are bound, and it is through folly like THAT, that psychics make their billions of dollars around the world.
"I'd argue that Eliot did probably have some meaning in mind when composing, but as I've said earlier in my post - his intended meaning is not all that relevant."

Poets do NOT write their works, so that they can become the playthings of people like YOU! Intended meanings ARE VERY RELEVANT, as I've said earlier in my post -

An artist that makes the Leaning Tower of Pisa out of playdough, doesn't do so, just so people like YOU can come around, and reduce it to a mouldy thing so that YOU can play around and have your fun with it - Then where does that effort and time go? Where does PURPOSE go? You have absolutely NO RIGHT to ever discard purpose, because that is a very straight path towards discouraging future authors, poets and artists from creating their works, lest it fall into the hands of people like YOU - so be careful where you are treading here!

"The interpretive process was never intended to be applicable to a poetry's meaning. Nor to a poet's intentions. "

"Here you are interpreting an entire process, and labelling your interpretation as absolute fact. What is it that makes you believe your interpretation is any more valid?"
I'll tell you what makes me believe so. In case you still don't understand how to be empathetic:
You would never, as an author or an artist or a poet, want people to re-interpret what you original message was to have been -
So what's left then, to still be allowed to be interpreted?
The context - the WHERE - WHERE you can apply the meaning, whether in the 1950's or today or in 4000 AD. That's where the interpretative process was intended to be applied - NEVER to an author's own message - and that's a purely logical but rational argument - only if you have the ability to put yourself in a writer's shoes!
Why presume you are of a level with his intended audience? You may be beneath the audience he was trying to reach or you may be above it and thus may have over complicated it. Of course this is all if you know what his intent was. Which it has been established, repeatedly, that you do not.

We don't know his intent - that is something we don't argue - but the problem lies in what we believe his intent to have been - because that 'I believe his intent was..' ranges to various extremities in regards to his work - the interpretations range from one view, to other views ENTIRELY! With other works, interpretations, once analysed collectively, if they are simliar or of simliar nature then it becomes easy to see that the author had put across his message in a way so that a majority of people would understand THAT message, which is proof by the similarity of the collective interpretations (on the basis we don't know of his original interpretation, which is a basis that I do understand, exists for many various works) - but this same collective analysis over interpretations of Eliot's work's meanings, have led me to realize that his work is not that of a genius!

In this way, this statement is wrong, if the interpretation you are referring to, is meant for the author's meaning:

"They're not wrong, no one's interpretation can ever really be 'wrong' for there is no such thing as definite meaning or absolute truth. If you go on to do Advanced English - module C: Telling the Truth, or History Extension then you'll cover this concept in more detail. However suffice to say, no one person's interpretation is ever really completely 'wrong'."
Definite meaning. Absolute truth. If you say 'I hate cakes' - is that not definite? If you say 'I love Anna with all my heart' - is that not absolute? Don't question the action here, question the statement, the words - do they lead you to re-interpret them? If there are no definite meanings, no absolute truths, then why not question every single little piece of writing, including your own, and my own, and their veracities - indeed let's indeed question everything written, everything said from moment of begining to the present now- but aside from that, even if somehow you were even slightly correct in this regard, can we not then at least look towards implicated meanings? Truths by implications? Where the implications are that of the AUTHOR'S and can be seen in any collective analysis of intepretations of meanings - But suffice it to say, that you cannot regard every person's interpretation of others' works as ever being completely correct either - Or is that what you are suggesting as well?
That if you say Tomatoes, and I say you said Potatoes, then I can't be wrong, what you said doesn't matter, and that's how it should be for everything else you say?

Think again.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
pospinator said:
BUT, he did achieve something other's in his lifetime did......PLAGIARISM
It is called intertextuality, perhaps if you do end up continuing to study above your current level then you will learn what that is.
pospinator said:
and btw, it didn't require an essay to reply, who has time for such long posts...so little life
I'm not the one who made a thread on net about it with an argument lasting several days. Nor am I the one resorting to derogatory comments because someone disagrees with me over the internet.

live.fast said:
Okay. This is the simplest way I think I can make my point.

If you made a book, would you have made it with purpose? Or intention?

Because if you would have made it without any purpose, then okay, I agree with everything you've said. But you wouldn't have.
Don't presume what I would or would not do. Thanks.

Next, I never said I or anyone else would create something with complete lack of an intended meaning, but that my intent does not limit the meaning.

live.fast said:
This 'Death of the author notion',
This must be the most stupid notion I've ever come across. How can you believe that the author's own intent has little or no bearing on the product? For what then did they create their works? Every word, every technique, every part of their works would have been created WITH THAT INTENT in mind - so then where do YOU suddenly obtain all right and control over his meaning? And when do YOU suddenly obtain the right to dismiss ALL PURPOSE of his work? The fact is, an author's intent CANNOT and SHOULD NEVER be dismissed, for the simple fact that his work is a product OF THAT INTENT - It's cause and effect - The cause for creating his work was that intent, and to remove it, changes the effect of his work to something else entirely.

Consider if you yourself were a writer of the Bible - would you want people suddenly reading that the meaning of 'love' is to kill others, from your work?
Very poor example. The Bible has been endlessly re-interpreted, with many of those interpretations branching out into other religious denominations for example Judaeism(Orthodox or otherwise), Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox etc.), Islam - they all have their roots in their own interpretations of what was a basic text. People have also over the years interpreted passages differently so that in some circumstances murder was endorsed whereas in others kindness was promoted. And that comment you make also presumes authorial intent based on what you want and thus you are limiting and re-creating meaning yourself.

That you, the author, are probably dead now means nothing - what makes your work great is if it can still put forward that original meaning with clarity, so that such meaning cannot be re-intrepreted to suit the liking of just about anyone. Indeed, even though people at times have to re-interpret small, specific parts of the Scriptures, if it fits into overal clearer meaning of what the Bible puts forward, then it is probably better then not interpreting it at all - but the interpretation is still done ON the basis of the author's original intent, not with the disgusting disregard to it that you seem to be proposing, no, it has to be where the interpretive meaning is one of which can be derived from and fits into the rest of the work - interpretation like this is done ONLY WHERE NECCESSARY and NEVER on the basis of one's own personal wants to extract further or entirely different meanings, only on the BASIS of the author's ORIGINAL meaning and INTENT!
Interpretation of the Bible has often been influenced by politics and social climate as not only does the social climate produce the interpreters, the politics often limits and governs how much can be interpreted. An example would be the establishment of the Church of England, primarily because the main political force at the time (King Henry) desired a divorce which the Roman Catholic Church would not grant. So again, Bible ( or any religious text) is a horrible example.

live.fast said:
doesn’t your intentional meaning, in that comment of offense, suddenly become THAT MUCH MORE important?
No. If you said a word to someone that you thought was innoffensive, but it had gave offense to someone of a particular culture or religion then that word is offensive by default and thus it has more meaning than you intended. This is where the meaning generated is wholly separate from the intent. It also does not make it any less offensive simply because it would not offend you.

live.fast said:
All work should NEVER be entirely and wholly subjective, to the point where the meaning too also becomes wholly subjective. Otherwise, all works becomes futile, if the purpose of the work (to put forward its original message and meaning) is never achieved. It’s called pointlessness.
And that is your subjective opinion.:)

live.fast said:
Consider all those times you've read those astrology sections of the newspaper, all the psychic readings that you've come across - yet just because YOU can re-interpret the meaning of those messages (due to their open ended ambiguity), does that make the message itself suddenly a valid foretelling? According to you, it does! [/FONT][/COLOR]
Nope. By your own interpretation of clarity and authorial intent:

kami said:
(though not neccesarily as valid foretelling)
but it does mean if the psychic intended to say sunday by referring to her magic underwear, that I could interpret it as her informing me about laundry day. Does it mean I must believe it is valid...which I've said.

live.fast said:
It would be folly for YOU to presume that there should be NO limits to which discourses are bound, and it is through folly like THAT, that psychics make their billions of dollars around the world.
As long as there is more than one sentient being around then there will be a myriad of interpretations of each discourse. Arguably it would not need more than one, as a persons ideologies may change over time. However it is because we are endlessly changing and growing as both a society and individuals that our discourses will always be unlimited.

live.fast said:
Poets do NOT write their works, so that they can become the playthings of people like YOU!
I wonder how you know the hows and whys of why all poets compose.
live.fast said:
An artist that makes the Leaning Tower of Pisa out of playdough, doesn't do so, just so people like YOU can come around, and reduce it to a mouldy thing so that YOU can play around and have your fun with it - Then where does that effort and time go? Where does PURPOSE go? You have absolutely NO RIGHT to ever discard purpose, because that is a very straight path towards discouraging future authors, poets and artists from creating their works, lest it fall into the hands of people like YOU - so be careful where you are treading here!
An interpretation does not destroy what is there, it is more akin to observing the Leaning Tower of Pisa from different angles than it is to reducing to rubble.

live.fast said:
I'll tell you what makes me believe so.
Thats not what I was asking. However, your interpretation is valid.:)

What I was getting at, was rather, not what you believe or why you believe it. But why you believe your interpretation, as one person, has any more validity or factuality then anyone else's.

live.fast said:
You would never, as an author or an artist or a poet, want people to re-interpret what you original message was to have been[/FONT]
Why? It does not injure nor lessen my work if others interpret it. I personally would find it more offensive if people discussed my intent in making the work as that is far more presumptuous.

live.fast said:
The context - the WHERE - WHERE you can apply the meaning, whether in the 1950's or today or in 4000 AD. That's where the interpretative process was intended to be applied - NEVER to an author's own message - and that's a purely logical but rational argument - only if you have the ability to put yourself in a writer's shoes!
It is not a logical or rational argument as you are not arguing or discussing, merely stating. Why on earth should we not interpret a piece of literature?

live.fast said:
With other works, interpretations, once analysed collectively, if they are simliar or of simliar nature then it becomes easy to see that the author had put across his message in a way so that a majority of people would understand THAT message, which is proof by the similarity of the collective interpretations (on the basis we don't know of his original interpretation, which is a basis that I do understand, exists for many various works)
No. Once something has been analysed and many similar meanings derived then that becomes a popular viewpoint or interpretation. It does not inform us of the authors 'intended message'. To use the bible as an example, an immense proportion of the population once believed several passages of the bible to mean you could sell your daughters. Just because many people simultaneously derived that meaning did not make it the authors (who depending on your religious stance may be divine) intent. In this day and age its interpreted by the many to mean something entirely different even though it is one of those explicit passages you hold dear. However if you believe in clear messages and not interpretations, and you are a christian then I encourage you to sell any future daughters you may have or smite your neighbours for eating prawns.:)

In this way, this statement is wrong, if the interpretation you are referring to, is meant for the author's meaning:

Definite meaning. Absolute truth. If you say 'I hate cakes' - is that not definite? If you say 'I love Anna with all my heart' - is that not absolute? Don't question the action here, question the statement, the words - do they lead you to re-interpret them? If there are no definite meanings, no absolute truths, then why not question every single little piece of writing, including your own, and my own, and their veracities - indeed let's indeed question everything written, everything said from moment of begining to the present now- but aside from that, even if somehow you were even slightly correct in this regard, can we not then at least look towards implicated meanings? Truths by implications?

Where the implications are that of the AUTHOR'S and can be seen in any collective analysis of intepretations of meanings

live.fast said:
But suffice it to say, that you cannot regard every person's interpretation of others' works as ever being completely correct either - Or is that what you are suggesting as well?
Yes. No one person is ever truly wrong as there is no absolute interpretation. And if there is no absolute interpretation then no one is ever absolutely right either.

live.fast said:
That if you say Tomatoes, and I say you said Potatoes, then I can't be wrong, what you said doesn't matter, and that's how it should be for everything else you say? Think again.
You or confusing text and intent. However as I said, there is no absolute truth so everyone's interpretation has some validity.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
text and intent are linked - if you change what you believe is the intent, it's like changing the text :

But I'll change what I mean.

That if you meant Tomatoes, and I say you meant Potatoes, then I can't be wrong, what you said doesn't matter, and that's how it should be for everything else you say?

kami said:
"However as I said, there is no absolute truth so everyone's interpretation has some validity..."

I guess this means your Tomatoes are now Potatoes =)

HSC
kami said:
It is called intertextuality, perhaps if you do end up continuing to study above your current level then you will learn what that is.

I'm not the one who made a thread on net about it with an argument lasting several days. Nor am I the one resorting to derogatory comments because someone disagrees with me over the internet.
oi, i'm not dissing intertextuality, i'm dissing Eliot's overuse thereof, he needs to be more oiginal, not just alluding to other texts, most of his poem should be his own stuff, not someone else's

and don't dis my level of knowledge, just cos ur a uni student doesn't mean i'm gonna bow to ur supremacy, go to hell if ur gonna mock me

and btw, i didn't make a thread latsing several days either, i'm just posting

ign0r4mus

HSC
kami said:
Don't presume what I would or would not do. Thanks.
You dont like others presuming what you would or would not do, but you are fine with presuming that 'Psychics do not use literary techniques'.

kami said:
Very poor example. The Bible has been endlessly re-interpreted, with many of those interpretations branching out into other religious denominations for example Judaeism(Orthodox or otherwise), Christianity (Catholic, Protestant, Anglican, Orthodox etc.), Islam - they all have their roots in their own interpretations of what was a basic text.
The Hollow Men and other like poems have also been re-interpreted many many times, so what is your point in mentioning that the Bible has also been done so. And as for those religious interpretations...im sorry but you are way off. First of all, the Bible is a group of texts which is a basis of CHRISTIAN beliefs, with authors compiling information and opinion for CHRISTIANS to use to teach and to inform, and as a guide to convert non-christians. We know this as it is clear in the way the text was written, and also considering the context. The old testament btw is taken from JEWISH scriptures. AT NO POINT IN HISTORY HAVE OTHER RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS MADE INTERPRETATIONS OF THE BIBLE AS A BASIS FOR THEIR BELIEFS. Islam, Judaism and other religions have their own sacred texts.

kami said:
People have also over the years interpreted passages differently so that in some circumstances murder was endorsed whereas in others kindness was promoted.
Exactly...without the authors intentions being clearly known or recognisable, people will misinterpret texts and in this case it has lead to murders, possibly masacres and wars.

kami said:
Interpretation of the Bible has often been influenced by politics and social climate as not only does the social climate produce the interpreters, the politics often limits and governs how much can be interpreted. An example would be the establishment of the Church of England, primarily because the main political force at the time (King Henry) desired a divorce which the Roman Catholic Church would not grant. So again, Bible ( or any religious text) is a horrible example.
How does your example of the establishment of the Church of England have anything to do with how the Bible is limited and governed by politics. At no point in your example did you even link King Henry to the Bible. Rather, the establishment of the Church of England has created MORE interpretations of the Bible as the Church of England provides different viewpoints on it. So...whose examples are horrible now??

kami said:
No. If you said a word to someone that you thought was innoffensive, but it had gave offense to someone of a particular culture or religion then that word is offensive by default and thus it has more meaning than you intended.
What you have been doing so far is giving complete credit to Eliot for OUR interpretations. So in your example, if i said that word i should be completely to blame for offending that someone unintentionally because it has more meaning than i had intended. '

kami said:
This is where the meaning generated is wholly separate from the intent. It also does not make it any less offensive simply because it would not offend you.
Yes, the meaning is seperate from the intent. And this unintended meaning will get me in trouble (probably). So if i had properly vocalised my intention in saying the word, then i wouldnt be in the trouble i would be in now.

kami said:
An interpretation does not destroy what is there, it is more akin to observing the Leaning Tower of Pisa from different angles than it is to reducing to rubble.
An interpretation does not destroy what is there, but discarding its meaning does. For example, if we take away the purpose of religion, then we are essentially discarding religion.

kami said:
What I was getting at, was rather, not what you believe or why you believe it. But why you believe your interpretation, as one person, has any more validity or factuality then anyone else's.
He was not saying his interpretation has any more validity or factuality than anyone elses. He is just stating his BELIEFS:

live.fast said:
I'll tell you what makes me believe so.
And why does it matter that he is just 'one person'? The majority of people have not always been right. If so, then the world would still be thought of as flat and we would still be thought of as the centre of the universe.

kami said:
Why? It does not injure nor lessen my work if others interpret it. I personally would find it more offensive if people discussed my intent in making the work as that is far more presumptuous.
Really? I would be much more offended if they discarded my intentions altogether.

kami said:
Yes. No one person is ever truly wrong as there is no absolute interpretation. And if there is no absolute interpretation then no one is ever absolutely right either.
Id have to disagree. For example, if i say "Good Work" and someone interprets it as "Go to hell you stupid mother f*****, you're a ******* you ********. You can go rot in hell cos im gonna ******* **** you ********. **** you in the ******* ****** cos **** your ******* is ******", id be inclined to say their interpretation was WRONG, but thats just my opinion. Btw, ill leave the interpretation of was censored to you :)

I'd add more stuff but im a bit busy and way too tired...

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
The fact is, that those interpretations exist and you're going to study them further whether you like it or not....:p

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
It's comforting to know that you lovely people have lots of time on your hands and choose to use it wisely.

joughy

HSC
there should be no discussion about this...poerty so lame!!!!

joughy

HSC
there should be no discussion about this...poerty is so lame!!!!

joughy

HSC
there should be no discussion about this...poerty is so lame!!!!

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
I just finished learning about T.S Eliot (if that's how ya spell his name) and seriously, his poetry just...sucks.

Really, I mean, if he's trying to make a point, why doesnt he just make it, instead of going round and about through all these weird allusions and poetic stuff....

And poetry in general...its just stupid
ESPECIALLY if it's even closely similair to 'The Hollow Men' - I mean, anyone could write anything, and be a reaallly crappy poet, but everyone else would try and draw some deep meaning from it, and because it would have been written bad, the meaning would have been harder to draw from it - so a bad poet might seem like an awesome one to all these over-analysts

- and even then, the meaning drawn is allowed to be subjective too, where you draw your own meaning from the poetry, and with really ambigiuous natured poetry, its like them stupid fortune readings that 'psychics' give you - you're bound to draw some 'meaning' from it, even if its not the intended one - but you don't know what the intended meaning might have been, so this might make a crappy poem seem better than it is -

Therefore, Poetry = Stupid :)
What a stereotypically male post. I assume you don't score so well in English, would you type this if you were rank one, I'm sure?

evablazin69

HSC
poetry is gay it is just the authorrs crying about pussy lilte shit.
ppoofters i say.
for. e.g "the road not taken" by robert frost.

meh meh i didnt take the road *cry*cry*

thats all he does.

what a looseerr

=]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)