plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ?? (1 Viewer)

ReaveR

HSC
flyin' said:
He was the Vice Pres of some CPA thingy three years ago, then Pres of some CPA thingy two years ago, then I didn't do ACCG.
Yeah I think he totally moved up to the top. Although I seem to remember him saying something about being top of NSW CPA, so might not be CPA Australia...you'll have to ask someone...who actually listens in ACCG lectures =p

IronMike

HSC
N/A
flyin' said:
A few things to note:
1. Is it just me, or have I seen repeated references to a certain university, ie. UNSW? We are addressing the question of whether to study at Macquarie or UTS. So maybe, UNSW isn't as practical as you claim. Maybe, it is. Does that help our student in making a decision about which university? Not really.

2. I am sure that the Macro and Micro course at UNSW explained how economic cycles and trends affected businesses, and consequently how it was run. Whether this is explicited explained or not, isn't the issue. When there is a downturn in the market/recession it would mean that businesses hire less new staff, or even fire individuals. This is just an obvious example.

3. Whether people claim its (the subject/s in UTS) superficial or not, is not what we are arguing. Maybe it is superficial. Maybe it isn't.

4. Did you complete higher Economics subjects at UNSW or did just complete first year Economics only. An extensive theoretical background is more often than not taught in early years, whereas practicality is brought in later. The fact that it was an extensive background and only first year material shows that they cover the basics at least. It's like realising a wheel is round, before seeing and appreciating its applications.

5. Whether the entire course is 100% relevant to all students is not really an issue. Is it even possible to develop a course which is 100% revelant to even one student is hard to find. More often than not it's the skills you acquire which make a subject worthwhile. I'm sure many of your subjects weren't relevant in hindsight.

6. Economics is a fundamental part of Commerce. And you don't want to water it down just for Commerce students. If you're going to study something, you might as well do it properly. Further, if they water it down, then the Commerce students wouldn't be able to do higher Economics units because they'd have gaps in their knowledge.

Summary: Macquarie isn't UNSW, so any comparative statements between UNSW and UTS should be treated with care. Assuming Macquarie was UNSW, it's still hard to claim that UTS is any more practical.

In fact, UNSW and Macquarie (and Sydney) incorporate groupwork, case studies and presentations into their subjects which is much more practical than reading about applications from a textbook which we also do anyway.

1. YES. It is not just you in that I seem to make reference to UNSW. In making reference to UNSW did I NOT address the issue? The Issue on hand is that the student wants to know the pro's and con's of respective uni's commerce degree. For **** sake look at his initial post mate. "hey i need to make a decision on which i go to. what are the adv/disadv of each uni and which is better recognised by employers?
thx in adv ~"
In light of that question, I have answered the "FOR' point of UTS as opposed to UNSW. And YES, by addressing the advantages of UTS b Business against UNSW, it does help the student make some sort of decision at the end.

2. Your quote = "I am sure that the Macro and Micro course at UNSW explained how economic cycles and trends affected businesses, and consequently how it was run. Whether this is explicited explained or not, isn't the issue"
YES mate they DID explain economic cycles and trends and how they effected business. and YES definately it ain't a issue. I didn't imply or even state that this is an issue. Don't dissect my post with your selective reading mate. Look at the CONTEXT of what I was saying. CONTEXT being that UTS was better in explaining that than UNSW and I believe teaching of such inter-related-ness of Business and economics are important stepping stone for first year commerce student.

3. Mate whether people claim the subjects in UTS is superficial or not IS important. Look at the bloody question asked by the tread author. I'll just quote it again for you since you seem to lack the ability to READ things in entirety. He/She asked = ""hey i need to make a decision on which i go to. what are the adv/disadv of each uni and which is better recognised by employers?
thx in adv ~"

4. I don't even want to comment in regards to this.

5. Mate this one is fair dinkum pathetic. Mate whether it is relevant to 100% of student isnt my issue. My issue is that the subject content relevancy to MOST people undertaking the course. I'm going to re-phrase my point just so that you can understand it ok? Since UNSW ECO and COM students take same subjects first year, UNSW tries to provide the threshold subjects that adequately prepares BOTH ECO and COM students for second year and majors and so forth. B Business first year subjects are PURELY for B Business students and "I" felt that the content and subjects provided for first year was apt for B.Business students to get a feel of various aspects that fall under the branch of Business/Commerce.

6. Mr Ignorant says = "Economics is a fundamental part of Commerce. And you don't want to water it down just for Commerce students. If you're going to study something, you might as well do it properly."
Mate what the hell are you on about watering down and all these shabang. Where the hell you coming from. I did NOT say economics WASN't a fundamental part of commerce. In NO where in my post I made such a bold statement as to the un-important nature of economics in the study of commerce. Economics IS a fundamental part of comemrce. ALSO, NO where in my post did I imply or suggest that you SHOULD "water down" economics just for commerce students. What UNSW is doing in regards to economics subject is FINE due to their nature of COM and ECO degree (FIrst YRS in both degrees doing the same subject and thus ECO students should be provided with significant amount of teaching on ECO whilst giving commerce stepping stone or TASTE of eco should they pursue a major in that field. In balancing these two conditions out ONE's gotta give and take right? UNLIKE UTS)

Are you just ignorant or do you just want to pick an arguement to bubble your ego? Mate we can argue for many days and I'll catch you out EVERY single time. So if you have time to post up these useless post to be showy, go and get your head screwed the right way mate. For **** sake, some people's egos....

ethereal^

HSC
hey all, i appreciate the posts and subsequent arguement in light of my initial question ..
imstead of starting a potentially personal arguement, mayb we can add or question statements made by others instead of criticising them completely. this discussion has provided me insight and i appreciate that but an arguement involving pplz cussin isnt gona do 2 much but make ppl get the shits..
its all good tho cuz both parties have helped me so keep this shit up ~

ReaveR

HSC
IronMike, you mention UNSW alot and you say it's because you want to help him make the choice between the uni's but .. if you read the thread title UNSW isn't even mentioned? So, you may compare UTS and UNSW which may be all good and dandy, but MQ is not UNSW, so any comparison would be absolutely irrelevant in the decision making. Who's not reading properly now?

Anyway, ethereal, I got a friend at UTS and he seems to be on work placement/experience most of the time, although its for IT and not Business, so I don't know how relevant this point is =p

epsilon

HSC
Hey ethereal, I was trawling through the forums, and I came across this article posted by someone last year. Hope this helps.

The Graduate Edge

By Bruce Andrews
31 July 2003
Business Review Weekly

The Big Four cast widely for graduate recruits, but they favor only a handful of universities.

When Andrew Newcombe started studying for a bachelor of commerce degree, he did not know where he wanted to work after graduation. It was not until he attended an information session with representatives from the Big Four accounting firms, who were publicising their recruiting programs, that he set his sights on one of them because of the training opportunities they offered. But, according to BRW research, he had already unwittingly put himself at a disadvantage by choosing to study at Deakin University.

Some universities are better than others for students who have their sights set on working for the Big Four.

A study of the recruiting behavior of the Big Four accounting firms shows that, even though these firms publicise their graduate recruitment programs to every university with accounting or commerce degrees, they tend to choose most of their recruits from two or three universities from each state.

Newcombe chose Deakin because its campus in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne is more convenient to his home than the campuses of the University of Melbourne and Monash University. "I thought at the time it would be better for me to be closer to uni, so if I did have to go back and do any work I wouldn't have to jump on a train for an hour," he says.

If Newcombe had chosen on career opportunities, he might have thought again. Deakin is a clear third in Victoria for three of the Big Four firms, behind the University of Melbourne and Monash University (see table). This year, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young and Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu recruited 81.2% of their Victorian graduates from the top two universities. Deakin contributed 13.9% of the successful Victorian applicants. (KPMG was unable to provide figures for this year but in the incomplete sample it provided of its graduate intake for 2003, 66.7% came from Monash and the University of Melbourne combined and 22.9% came from Deakin.)

Senior human resource managers at Pricewaterhouse-Coopers and Deloitte say the dominance of Melbourne and Monash universities is not only because they have more commerce students graduating each year, but also because their careers and employment units have more resources and their student accounting associations are more active.

The University of New South Wales, the University of Technology, Sydney, and the University of Sydney provided 75.3% of all the NSW graduates recruited to three of the Big Four firms for 2004. Students from the regional universities at Wollongong and Newcastle secured only 4.9% of the Big Four's graduate intake.

Fortunately for Newcombe, he was talented enough to be offered a position with KPMG in his final year of study last year, and started work as an auditor in February. He wanted to work for one of the Big Four firms because "they easily offered the best support for doing the CA [Chartered Accountant] program". KPMG organises practice exams and offers study leave for recruits who have enrolled in the CA program.

To become a qualified accountant through the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia's (ICAA) CA program, a candidate must, after completing an approved degree, work for three years with an accredited firm. They must also study and pass exams for five training modules that, in total, take at least two years to complete. Candidates can start their first module only after working at a firm for at least a year. The ICAA's general manager of professional education, Gillian Cappelletto, says working in the Big Four accounting firms is popular with candidates. About 40% of the 5500 people enrolled in the CA program work in one of the Big Four firms, 45% work in other accounting firms, and 15% work for companies and government organisations.

Although university accounting courses vary in style and content, the ICAA ensures they all meet certain standards so that their students may enrol in the CA program. So, if accounting students from universities across Australia are receiving the same basic levels of training, why do the Big Four firms pick most of their recruits from a small number of elite universities?

Deloitte's national graduate recruitment manager, Lisa Michael, says universities such as Monash and Melbourne tend to have a higher calibre of student because their entrance scores are higher. The tertiary entrance rank (TER) for a first-round offer to study a commerce degree at the University of Melbourne's Parkville campus this year was 94.70, and 91.25 for the Clayton campus of Monash University. The TER for studying commerce at Deakin's Burwood campus was 86.85, and for La Trobe's Bundoora campus 80.80.

PricewaterhouseCoopers' national campus recruitment manager, Katrina Moriarty, says universities with big commerce and business faculties, such as Melbourne and Monash, have more students so she receives more applications from them. According to a document on the Commonwealth Department of Education web site, Management and Commerce Graduates by State, 2001, 846 students graduated with accounting degrees from the University of Melbourne in 2001, and 488 graduated from Deakin. PricewaterhouseCoopers received 520 applications from University of Melbourne students this year and made offers to 24 of them to join the firm in 2004, a success rate of 4.6%. The firm received 140 applications from Deakin University students and offered positions to five, a success rate of 3.6%.

Student associations play a key role in getting accounting graduates into the Big Four firms. Michael says student accounting associations are very active in creating networks and organising business-related activities in Brisbane and Perth, and particularly in Victoria.

The larger number of student associations, and their longer history, gives Melbourne and Monash students an advantage in securing a place at Deloitte. "For instance, at Deakin there is only really the Deakin Accounting & Finance Society that has any presence [on campus] and it has only been around for two years or so. Whereas at Melbourne, there are probably half a dozen really strong student societies that have an employment angle and really focus on providing their members with the opportunity to spend time with employers and put them on the best foot for receiving a graduate role."

Moriarty says student societies give students the chance to gain skills that the firm values and to meet people from the firm. "Some student societies run competitions for their students to develop their business skills. Others will have cocktail evenings and invite people from business so they can get to know them." Ernst & Young's senior manager of recruitment, Anne Carman, says university careers and employment offices are very influential in informing students about what they can expect when they apply to the Big Four. Michael and Moriarty agree. Michael says: "Melbourne and Monash would be the greatest in terms of information [made available to students about getting employed], and then Deakin and La Trobe, and then RMIT." Michael says she is invited by the careers offices at Monash and Melbourne to run workshops for students on preparing for work. "So straight away, these universities are providing access to the graduate recruiters."

Top class

1 The Big Four accounting firms picked most of their recruits for 2004 from a small number of universities in each state.

2 The large size of the accounting and business faculties, and the higher TER scores required for entry into commerce degrees at these top universities, mean their students are more likely to be recruited by the Big Four.

3 Active accounting and business-related student associations, especially in Victoria, and well-resourced university careers offices, are important factors for students who want to be recruited by the Big Four.

UNIVERSITY challenge
Graduates recruited to PricewaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young and Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu for 2004

VICTORIA
University of Melbourne 51
Monash University 31
Deakin University 14
La Trobe University 3
RMIT University 2

NEW SOUTH WALES / ACT
University of New South Wales 57
University of Technology, Sydney 44
University of Sydney 36
Macquarie University 18
Australian National University 9
University of Western Sydney 6
University of Wollongong 5
University of Newcastle 4
University of Canberra 3

QUEENSLAND*
University of Queensland 24
Queensland University of Technology 13
James Cook University 8
Bond University 7
Griffith University 3
Central Queensland University 1

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
University of Western Australia 26
Curtin University of Technology 20
Murdoch University 6
Edith Cowan University 5

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
University of Adelaide 14
University of South Australia 11
Flinders University of South Australia 4

TASMANIA
University of Tasmania 7

* Does not include graduate recruits for Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu

SOURCE: PRICEWATERHOUSECOOPERS, ERNST & YOUNG, DELOITTE TOUCHE TOHMATSU

IronMike

HSC
N/A
ReaveR said:
IronMike, you mention UNSW alot and you say it's because you want to help him make the choice between the uni's but .. if you read the thread title UNSW isn't even mentioned? So, you may compare UTS and UNSW which may be all good and dandy, but MQ is not UNSW, so any comparison would be absolutely irrelevant in the decision making. Who's not reading properly now?

Anyway, ethereal, I got a friend at UTS and he seems to be on work placement/experience most of the time, although its for IT and not Business, so I don't know how relevant this point is =p
1. Do you have problem reading as well?
This is the thread question "--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey i need to make a decision on which i go to. what are the adv/disadv of each uni and which is better recognised by employers?
thx in adv ~

2. And NO SHIT MAQ is NOT UNSW. Who said it was?

3. And NO, comparison between UTS and UNSW is absolutely relevant to point out the ADVANTAGES of studying at UTS as I'm NOT in the position to comment on MAQ because I have not studied in that institution.

Go and read some post and post something that is worth debating.

ReaveR

HSC
So .. where in the thread title does it mention UNSW as a candidate?

ie. " plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ??"

ethereal^

HSC
cheerz epsilon ~ appreciate that ~
what r the chances of me making uts in late round with a uai of 90.7?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
ReaveR said:
So .. where in the thread title does it mention UNSW as a candidate?

ie. " plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ??"
The argument couldn't be put more simply. :)
IronMike said:
3. And NO, comparison between UTS and UNSW is absolutely relevant to point out the ADVANTAGES of studying at UTS as I'm NOT in the position to comment on MAQ because I have not studied in that institution.
Why bother comparing UTS with UNSW, when our original issue was which Commerce was better Macquarie or UTS?
IronMike said:
1. YES. It is not just you in that I seem to make reference to UNSW. In making reference to UNSW did I NOT address the issue? The Issue on hand is that the student wants to know the pro's and con's of respective uni's commerce degree. For **** sake look at his initial post mate. "hey i need to make a decision on which i go to. what are the adv/disadv of each uni and which is better recognised by employers?
thx in adv ~"
In light of that question, I have answered the "FOR' point of UTS as opposed to UNSW. And YES, by addressing the advantages of UTS b Business against UNSW, it does help the student make some sort of decision at the end.
Yes, I agree you addressed the issue. However, it doesn't help the students that much.

Take the example: Someone asks the question: Suppose there Hewitt and Federer face off in the final, who will win?

Someone answers: Federer has great movement around the court compared to Safin.

Does this help me decide whether Hewitt will win? Maybe, but unlikely.
IronMike said:
2. Your quote = "I am sure that the Macro and Micro course at UNSW explained how economic cycles and trends affected businesses, and consequently how it was run. Whether this is explicited explained or not, isn't the issue"
YES mate they DID explain economic cycles and trends and how they effected business. and YES definately it ain't a issue. I didn't imply or even state that this is an issue. Don't dissect my post with your selective reading mate. Look at the CONTEXT of what I was saying. CONTEXT being that UTS was better in explaining that than UNSW and I believe teaching of such inter-related-ness of Business and economics are important stepping stone for first year commerce student.
Assuming you are correct, does that make UTS a better option than Macquarie? Maybe, maybe not.
IronMike said:
3. Mate whether people claim the subjects in UTS is superficial or not IS important. Look at the bloody question asked by the tread author. I'll just quote it again for you since you seem to lack the ability to READ things in entirety. He/She asked = ""hey i need to make a decision on which i go to. what are the adv/disadv of each uni and which is better recognised by employers?
thx in adv ~"
Actually it isn't important especially in light of the thread, ie. Macquarie or UTS. If UTS courses are viewed as superficial, does that make Macquarie a better option? If UTS courses are viewed as non-superficial, does that makes Macquarie a better option? Maybe, maybe not.
IronMike said:
4. I don't even want to comment in regards to this.
Fair enough. Although it's almost common knowledge that in most courses, theory comes first before application. Why? Because application makes sense of theory.
IronMike said:
5. Mate this one is fair dinkum pathetic. Mate whether it is relevant to 100% of student isnt my issue. My issue is that the subject content relevancy to MOST people undertaking the course. I'm going to re-phrase my point just so that you can understand it ok? Since UNSW ECO and COM students take same subjects first year, UNSW tries to provide the threshold subjects that adequately prepares BOTH ECO and COM students for second year and majors and so forth. B Business first year subjects are PURELY for B Business students and "I" felt that the content and subjects provided for first year was apt for B.Business students to get a feel of various aspects that fall under the branch of Business/Commerce.
Calling my argument pathetic is like calling someone names and hoping that that will win you an argument.

My argument was an exaggeration, ie. you aren't going to get courses which are mostly revelent. There are bound to be courses that aren't even remotely relevant. Tell me that every single one of your courses you did at university were mostly relevant!

And yes, my argument was relevant in reply to your "The subject content included many irrelevant concepts and ideas on economics that weren't necessarily important for all if not most commerce students."
IronMike said:
6. Mr Ignorant says = "Economics is a fundamental part of Commerce. And you don't want to water it down just for Commerce students. If you're going to study something, you might as well do it properly."
Mate what the hell are you on about watering down and all these shabang. Where the hell you coming from. I did NOT say economics WASN't a fundamental part of commerce. In NO where in my post I made such a bold statement as to the un-important nature of economics in the study of commerce. Economics IS a fundamental part of comemrce. ALSO, NO where in my post did I imply or suggest that you SHOULD "water down" economics just for commerce students. What UNSW is doing in regards to economics subject is FINE due to their nature of COM and ECO degree (FIrst YRS in both degrees doing the same subject and thus ECO students should be provided with significant amount of teaching on ECO whilst giving commerce stepping stone or TASTE of eco should they pursue a major in that field. In balancing these two conditions out ONE's gotta give and take right? UNLIKE UTS)
You posted "Although, some people claim that this subject is very superficial in that it deals with MACRO and MICRO in one subject, for me it was just appropriate level of teaching for GENERAL business students (not ALL business students need profound knowledge in such field for obvious reasons)."

I understood that as you saying that general business students didn't need the rigour of first year Economics, ie. basic economics isn't fundamental. How else are we to read it? (And if general business students don't need such rigour, it can only be a watered down version which would work.)

You're now arguing that it should give a students a taste. And I mistaken? That is, you don't want a rigorous course in Economics? That is, you want a watered down version.

Or are you going to argue something else?

As for name calling, refer to below statements.
IronMike said:
Are you just ignorant or do you just want to pick an arguement to bubble your ego? Mate we can argue for many days and I'll catch you out EVERY single time. So if you have time to post up these useless post to be showy, go and get your head screwed the right way mate. For **** sake, some people's egos....
You haven't actually addressed the main issue yet, ie. Why Commerce at Macquarie or UTS. And until you do, I really don't need to pick an argument.

Furthermore, by calling people names eg. ignorant, it merely shows that you have nothing better to do than name call. On that, there is no point in arguing at all.

Last edited:

IronMike

HSC
N/A
1. So where in the Tread title OR Initial Tread question does it say that I can't illustrate the benefits of studying B. Business at UTS in light of OTHER uni's?
2. And No mate, the initial issue ISNT whether commerce is better in MAQ than UTS. The initial issue IS the PRO's and CON's of respective commerce degree. ONCE again read the FIRST post written by the thread author.
3. Yes comparing B Business degree at UTS to another respectable Uni's Business degree is relevant and no doubt does help. If Federer was to play Hewitt in the final, Federer's record against opponents who's style of play are similar to Hewitt is useful as a predictor. If I said, Federer has had victory every single match that he played Agassi, and Agassi arguably plays aggressive tennis with strong returns and huge forehand like Hewitt, then this would be an useful piece of information in predicting the winner. If this isn't a good indicator, I don't know what IS.
4. NO, it doesnt Make UTS a better option compared to MAQ and that isn't even the point of that arugement. Mate, I'm pointing out all the ADV. of UTS B Business (Seems like YOU still haven't realised) like what the author asked for. Get it through your head.
5. "Actually it isn't important especially in light of the thread, ie. Macquarie or UTS. If UTS courses are viewed as superficial, does that make Macquarie a better option? If UTS courses are viewed as non-superficial, does that makes Macquarie a better option? Maybe, maybe not" READ THE BLOODY THREAD QUESTION.
6. It was extremely pathetic though.
7. No, it isnt watered down version. You again failed to read my post carefully. I said the economic subject for B Business student should be 'better directed' towards the B Business student. In light of your arguement I can just copy and paste what I said before but Please do read carefully.
8. I haven't addressed the Issue? My goodness. that is outrageously rude boy.

AND PLEASE I want to continue and finish with this arguement. So do PLEASE post your fresh opinions. I respect what your trying to say but I have upper hand on you.

Also next reply you put up, make a new thread (preferably in the GENERAL UNIVERSITY forum) so we don't spam this thread.

Thanks Heaps.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, you've hit on something "Also next reply you put up, make a new thread (preferably in the GENERAL UNIVERSITY forum) so we don't spam this thread. "

You're in the Macquarie forum, arguing about UTS against UNSW. You have made no constructive arguments for or against Macquarie.

The topic thread is:
"plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ??"

How can you miss the topic of the thread, and continue to argue about Cons and Pros of other universities (which is found later in the first post)? The topic of first post implies they are looking for Cons and Pros between Macquarie and UTS.

Now I would kindly ask you stop spamming this thread, and to make some constructive replies about both Macquarie and UTS because that is what the thread title is asking. Not just UTS and UNSW. Otherwise to direct your comparisons to a thread in the General University forum.

In fact, your posts thus far are best suited towards general university, or any thread entitled "Commerce at UNSW or UTS".

If you have any issues, please contact the moderators of this forum.

=====

Just in case, you think I haven't read the original post:

Topic: plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ??
Post: hey i need to make a decision on which i go to. what are the adv/disadv of each uni and which is better recognised by employers?
thx in adv ~
They are asking for the advantages and disadvantages of each university. Which university? Check the topic: Macquarie and UTS.

Last edited:

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
hey ethereal, sounds like you've done exactly the same thing I've done! I've applied for B Business at UTS after finding out that the cut offs dropped enough for my UAI to be enough, but I've still accepted the B Comm-Accg at MQ in case. Good luck!

Last edited:

IronMike

HSC
N/A
1. Is your head Coated with thousand layers of platium or what? Why do you insist that My arguement is based on UNSW and ignore the fact that I'm commenting on UTS in light of UNSW?
2. Have YOU made any constructive post?
3. Because I did.
4. Mate I didnt miss the topic title. I decided to READ ON. Whereas you decided to read the title and skip the subsequent question.
5. Mate I'm not a fool to make post on something I don't know. So I ain't going to post "constructive replies on BOTH MAQ and UTS" I'm going to post about something I know - UTS B Business.
6. GOOD that you finally decided to read the actual question! Good boy. Now that you HAVE read the question, you should know where I'm coming from. If you still don't get it, then I guess I'd have to school you again, won't I?

a_person86

HSC
I contemplated about this as well. UTS or MQ???

I chose UTS, for numerous reasons.

1. Location - a big factor for me as I will be working full-time in the city, whilst studying part-time. UTS is just a walk away from Central station.

2. Course options - the degree at UTS seems to have many more majors readily avaliable. These include Accounting, Advertising & Promotions Management, Banking, Economics, Electronic Business, Finance, Financial Planning, HRM, IT, International Business, Management, Marketing, Sport Management and Tourism. Also you can double major easily, making this degree if more so appealing to me.

3. Figures - after purchasing the Good Unis Guide, the figures favoured UTS as oppose to MQ. The have a higher rating for this particular degree, their starting salary is higher, along with their success rate. The figures also posted here concerning the Big 4 favours UTS as well.

4. UTS Business degree is suppose to be very practical, so im told from gradz.

Im not concerned with the appearance of the university. Ive never been to MQ, but the green grass with the old buildings doesnt appeal to me. I much prefer to be in the middle of the city.

Its personal opinion in the end, but if your going to major in accounting, go UTS any day!

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yeah, location is a big issue for a lot of people. And the actual uni grounds is probably less important for Part time students.

Yeah some students do double majors at Mac too. Though we have these things called double degrees. 1 extra year, 1 extra degree.

Also in reference to the numbers about Big-4 recruiting, International Students (MQ have a greater number from mainland China than any other uni) and students not interested in Big-4 work significantly affect those figures. I don't know a single Macq Commerce student with half decent grades, good english, a personality and a serious application not get an interview at a Big-4 firm.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The fact is, you kinda crossed the barrier by claiming that you indeed had complete relevancy in attaching the comparison of UNSW with UTS in helping shape the thread starter's opinion. Sure it answered the question to a certain degree, but as they said with the Federer and Hewitt example, it introduces the role of the third man problem. In that, we complicate things further by adding unnecessary parties to the argument. What the thread starter wanted, was a comparison, for the pro's and con's of the relevant degrees posted herewithin the topic, those being B Comm at MQ or B Business at UTS. By comparing UTS with UNSW, you presented the benefits of UTS according TO UNSW. So, MQ=A UTS=B UNSW=C, we have B > C therefore B > A. We miss the steps which compare A and C, I think is the point everyone on here is trying to make.

If you had left the course and comparison at UTS - B Bus, then im sure noone would be riled, but according yourself to profanities as well as general insults, is not the way to go.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Tabris

HSC
It doesnt matter, depends on u, i asked on davisory day about theory and practical and the guy (one of the guys teaching macro) said something like this:

u start off as theory building the basics and as u progreess into 2nd and 3rd year, it becomes more practical based

Anyway jsut looking at Macquarie's courses (hlaf of them are EFCS) as well as holding Macq GSOM which is one of the

http://www.whichmba.com.au/which/state/nsw.htm
http://www.mgsm.edu.au/navajo/displ...455&navID=746CC6CD-21E2-4B4E-98ADABE796166217

AS for location, if u can drive its good, because from where i live (still working on my L's) all i ahve to do is stick to onto King Georges rd and head all the way there without make a single turn (just turn at waterloo)

I have been there for accepting my offer and advisory, it looks pretty good, lots of green and weird looking sculptures, and its quite scenic in the back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)