plz help ~! B comm at macq or B business at UTS ?? (1 Viewer)

sypher

HSC
Well, I was responding to the first question posted in this thread concerning employment prospects of commerce/business students. I think the number of graduates hired by the big 4 are a damn good indication of employment prospects.

You're right, accounting is not commerce, but I'm sure the bulk of business/commerce study end up majoring in commerce.

Statistics don't tell the full story? Yeah, that may be the case most of the time. However, these stats are taken directly from the big 4 themselves, as the number of graduates hired in their graduate recruitment program. I don't think theres much room here to twist figures around.

And even if some figures were twisted, 44 to 18 is a massive difference, more than twice.

UTS has its fair share of international students as well, y'know? And regardless of whether students are on scholarships or whatsoever, these are the number of students hired on the companies' graduate programs. Maybe the high number of students on big4 scholarships are also an indicator?

I'm not saying sydney commerce is worse than uts business or whatsoever, I'm just responding to the threadstarter's question on employment prospects; "which is better recognised by employers?"

Last edited:

epsilon

HSC
flyin' said:
First, alot (in comparison to very very few if any at Maquarie) of UTS people are on scholarships with those firms.
Second, alot of Macquarie students are internation students who don't apply for "Big 4".
Third, Accounting is not equivalent to "Commerce".
Fourth, statistics don't tell the full story.
Fifth, are you telling me that Sydney Commerce is worse than UTS Commerce?
Sixth, are you telling me that ANU Commerce is worse than Macquarie Commerce?
Thought I'ed give my 2 cents worth here :) First off, I just wanted to know roughly how many B. Accounting scholarships do UTS give out each year? Do the statistics refer to the B. Accounting students or B. Business ones? Because if it's refering to the 1st one, I'm screwed :(

As for your international student point, I also don't think it holds much water. Doesn't UTS Business have a large number of international (Malaysian) students in it? They're not gonna apply for the Big 4s here.

For your third point, I think this thread was referring to B. Commerce (Accounting) and B. Business (Accounting) :)

I'll skip 4th, thanx

Not sure about 5th though. There have been quite a few students who, for commerce (accounting), think of UNSW first, then UTS before USYD, although Sydney's Commerce does have a higher cut-off compared to UTS's.

About 6th, frankly, I can see why ANU's has so much less graduates employed by the Big 4. It's in the middle of nowhere, and therefore I don't think they get a of of contacts from the Big 4.

Last edited:

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
As for your international student point, I also don't think it holds much water. Doesn't UTS Business have a large number of international (Malaysian) students in it? They're not gonna apply for the Big 4s here.
Macq takes waay more international students, especially from mainland China. There is an permanent MQ office in Beijing just to organise all that.

cr in accg

HSC
sypher said:
Well, I was responding to the first question posted in this thread concerning employment prospects of commerce/business students. I think the number of graduates hired by the big 4 are a damn good indication of employment prospects.

You're right, accounting is not commerce, but I'm sure the bulk of business/commerce study end up majoring in commerce.

Statistics don't tell the full story? Yeah, that may be the case most of the time. However, these stats are taken directly from the big 4 themselves, as the number of graduates hired in their graduate recruitment program. I don't think theres much room here to twist figures around.

And even if some figures were twisted, 44 to 18 is a massive difference, more than twice.

UTS has its fair share of international students as well, y'know? And regardless of whether students are on scholarships or whatsoever, these are the number of students hired on the companies' graduate programs. Maybe the high number of students on big4 scholarships are also an indicator?

I'm not saying sydney commerce is worse than uts business or whatsoever, I'm just responding to the threadstarter's question on employment prospects; "which is better recognised by employers?"

Have u ever thought of the fact that UTS is in the middle of the city where these corporations have their main offices. There's going to be a much higher number of people looking to extend their professional career in the CBD from UTS than Macq. These statistics show jack shit! its all about LOCATION!! u think if macquarie uni was situated in central station these statistics would be the same. I DONT THINK SO.

And the fact that these statistics are taken from just 4 company's is bloody stupid. Not everyone wants to live and work in the city just to enhance their career!

Looks like u really need to do STAT170. Oops forgot, they dont offer such mathematically involved subjects at UTS! international business please.. :p

^___^
HSC
why did u skip 4???

the guy does actuarial, so i think his knowledge on statistic is quite reliable

and where are u basing this "There have been quite a few students who, for commerce (accounting), think of UNSW first, then UTS before USYD" info, cos it sounds more like a personal opinion to me

and what the heck has ANU's location got to do with employment of Big4 company?

Doesn't UTS Business have a large number of international (Malaysian) students in it? They're not gonna apply for the Big 4s here.
can i ask where did u get all these info from???

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
its great to see all this "My uni is better than urs...etc" still going on.

u guys hsould just worry bout urselves and not try n force the issue onto others

and big4 is overrated anyways. they treat all employees like crap and work ur butt off coz they know they can replace you in a second by some1 off the street.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
epsilon said:
Thought I'ed give my 2 cents worth here :) First off, I just wanted to know roughly how many B. Accounting scholarships do UTS give out each year? Do the statistics refer to the B. Accounting students or B. Business ones? Because if it's refering to the 1st one, I'm screwed :(

For your third point, I think this thread was referring to B. Commerce (Accounting) and B. Business (Accounting) :)

I'll skip 4th, thanx

Not sure about 5th though. There have been quite a few students who, for commerce (accounting), think of UNSW first, then UTS before USYD, although Sydney's Commerce does have a higher cut-off compared to UTS's.

About 6th, frankly, I can see why ANU's has so much less graduates employed by the Big 4. It's in the middle of nowhere, and therefore I don't think they get a of of contacts from the Big 4.
1. The Big 4 statistics are for Accounting (or mainly, so) because they are "the" accounting firms. However, there is no mention of Accounting in the original post which you are responding to. At Macquarie, our Commerce degree is "not" restricted to just Accounting. We have a wide variety of degrees under the Commerce umbrella, such as Economics, Business Administration, Marketing, Actuarial, Statistics (even), among others. So if someone was majoring in Economics or Marketing or Actuarial, would Big 4 statistics be of much use?

2. You'd be hard pressed to find many who'd say UTS Commerce is better than USyd Commerce. People generally class UNSW and USyd in the same bracket for Commerce with Macquarie and UTS in the next group.

3. As for my comments on Scholarships, I'm referring to the fact that a number of UTS students are already working for the Big 4 before they graduate.

4. Macquarie has way more internation students to local students (without a doubt). Like it's international student-central. =p

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
cr in accg said:
Have u ever thought of the fact that UTS is in the middle of the city where these corporations have their main offices. There's going to be a much higher number of people looking to extend their professional career in the CBD from UTS than Macq. These statistics show jack shit! its all about LOCATION!! u think if macquarie uni was situated in central station these statistics would be the same. I DONT THINK SO.

And the fact that these statistics are taken from just 4 company's is bloody stupid. Not everyone wants to live and work in the city just to enhance their career!

Looks like u really need to do STAT170. Oops forgot, they dont offer such mathematically involved subjects at UTS! international business please.. :p
lol oh i agree... i dont want to go near the city at all... i hate that place, last time i went to go visit a friend from uts and usyd... and i almost died of smoke fumes! it was awful, i always thought i'de want to live there but nooo way! i'll work for some big factory down the west thanx

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
lol oh i agree... i dont want to go near the city at all... i hate that place, last time i went to go visit a friend from uts and usyd... and i almost died of smoke fumes! it was awful, i always thought i'de want to live there but nooo way! i'll work for some big factory down the west thanx
The last couple of years I wished Macq was in the city so I could live in the so-called "trendy inner city suburbs". But now I'm thinkin it's good to go to have our uni where it is. You couldn't have the grounds, lakes, trees, the whole 128 hectares and most importantly the "vibe" if we were in the city. And yet we're not that far from it.

And I have the rest of my 20's after I graduate to get that bachelor pad in the city/inner-city. Might as well enjoy the rest of my somewhat-suburbanism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)