Please help me pick out a uni course :) (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Do either Electrical or Computer engo

You could do software and earn $80 an hour doing iOS work for random companies

emamab

HSC
N/A
Consider Biomedical engineering, Im not sure about the career prospects though, they work for private firms

zhiying

HSC
Bachelor of Science/Medical Science? Doesn't that give you some of the basic padding for Medicine

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Bachelor of Science/Medical Science? Doesn't that give you some of the basic padding for Medicine
Yes and No, you can do it (which most people do) or you can do something completely different and still get into medicine (both under and post grad).

Just out of curiosity, what is the max time you would classify a uni "near"?
Mine's pretty near :p 70 min travel each way haha, (but I've crammed my timetable into 2 days so it's all goooood.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
A uni should be as near as you're willing to travel. There's really no hard and fast rule. Just comes down to how badly you want to go a particular university.

itznegarbabiii

HSC
Waste of time, either become a civil engineer (good) or architect (bad)
how come you reckon architecture is bad?
I personally think the combination of both will help you alot in a job interview, but doing it at USYD would be better than UNSW as you get 2 degrees at the end :)

D94

HSC
N/A
I personally think the combination of both will help you alot in a job interview, but doing it at USYD would be better than UNSW as you get 2 degrees at the end :)
But it will still take 7 years to complete 2 'active graduate' degrees at USyd. The BE(Civil)/BDes(Arch) at Sydney takes 5 years, but to work as a qualified architect, you must complete the Masters of Architecture (or equivalent) which will take an extra 2 years. The BE(Civil)/BDes(Arch) is essentially the same as the BE(Civil with Architecture) at UNSW, because both Architecture courses/components do not directly result in graduate work as an architect. If you want to do the BDes(Arch), you've got to do the Masters as well, otherwise it renders itself as useless (or not as useful).

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
that was in relation specifically to career prospects in terms of how easy it is to get a job after uni, I wasn't casting any kind of aspersion on architecture as a profession

but for 99% of people you can only really be one kind of professional at a time, might as well choose one or the other

Magical Kebab

HSC
I wanted to study medicine but my UMAT scores were disappointing, based off last year's cutoffs at UWS I had a shot at an interview however it seems like this year's cutoff has been raised slightly, the cutoff was around 146 and I just missed out with 142 :cry:

I've decided that medicine is what I really want to do so will try again next year, however, I need to find something to entertain myself with during the meantime :p I've thought about just taking a gap year but if I don't get into medicine again then that means I've pretty much wasted two years of my life in regards to my career.

I'm predicting my ATAR to be around 96-97 (possibly pushing into 98) which gives me plenty of headroom for most courses :) I've been so concentrated on medicine that I haven't really given any other courses much thought, I'm interested in the science and mathematics field so I was thinking of maybe some form of engineering or advanced science? What other courses should I consider?

In the event that I was never meant to be a doctor and never get in or if I change my mind in the future I'd also like a degree with good career prospects. My father studied electrical engineering at UNSW with fairly good marks but he graduated during a recession and his degree was useless at the time. What are the career prospects like for the various engineering courses and advanced science? I've heard that science degrees are like arts degrees and is only useful for becoming a science teacher, is there any truth to this?

TL;DR, I like mathematics and science, I will receive an ATAR of around 96-97, what course should I study?
keep in mind, doctors don't smoke weed. Find something else.

ph1234

HSC
Don't give up on medicine !!! If you miss out on undergraduate, then do a 3 year medsci/sci degree and work really hard and study for the gamsat (different) to the umat and try and get in as a graduate. :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
What are the job prospects like for combined civil engineering and architecture?
There's lots of demand for civil engineers at the moment and it looks like the job prospects will stay good in the future. But civil engineering is roads, bridges, buildings and shii if you're into that.

Architecture is full of phaggotry

FrozenSky

HSC
I would suggest you to do a degree like pharmacy or radiography. If in the unfortunate event of not making into medicine, you will still have a degree which allows you to find a job. First year radiography/pharmacy will go through the same content as a first year science degree (not too sure about radiology, but should be similar), thus you're not missing anything out by picking these degrees instead of a b of science/medical science.
Furthermore, if you were to complete either one of these degrees you will have the fundamental knowledge to sit for the gamsat exam.

Last edited:

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
OP is more worried about being fucked with no legitimate career paths if he doesnt get into med

- pharm = dead end, dont touch this, (worse than b.arts)
- med sci = dead end, dont touch this either
- radiography = nfi

1. try doing optom
2. do something like engo or commerce, so at least you are some what employable

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would say engineering or a health science. Health science, although not medicine are still anatomy and science related. There's optometry, radiology, physio, occupational therapy, speech pathology etc.

Are you thinking of a sydney Uni? If you do decide to go for a health science career, you could get into Uni of Melb biomed (the degrees for undergrad are all really broad, there's only six). Then you could try to make it into grad medicine there (it's the only one they offer there), but if not after your 3 year bachelor you could easily do a 2 year master in a health science.

HSC
Uni Grad
okay ummm for engineering

unsw vs. usyd vs. uws vs. uow vs. uts vs. other

in terms of job prospects/employability???

and just student life in general

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)