PLEASE help me (new ADSL connection)! (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
lol maybe u should ask someone who has this particular netgear product

or u can do a search for it and hope to find some forums where ppl offer help for particular networking packages

sorry mate

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Haha, no problem. Thanks for your help. I might make a post on Whirlpool and just post a link to this thread:D.

ReaveR

HSC
I have something similar..my Netgear is an 802.11b though, not g. Still, I'd think they work in the same way - it has an antenna for wireless and four wired ports right? And you say you connected your comp to the router through a wire .. then you're not getting it through wireless, hence why it says 100Mbps because that's the speed of the wired network. Also in that pic your wireless isn't even connected so yeah

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
ReaveR said:
I have something similar..my Netgear is an 802.11b though, not g. Still, I'd think they work in the same way - it has an antenna for wireless and four wired ports right? And you say you connected your comp to the router through a wire .. then you're not getting it through wireless, hence why it says 100Mbps because that's the speed of the wired network. Also in that pic your wireless isn't even connected so yeah
I think i may have the same router as you...
is it the NETGEAR MR-321 ? ...its blue ? :)
The wireless sucks on that thing....cant maintain a connection further than 5m, worse when its not line of sight...
*hugs access point* :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
ReaveR said:
Are you talking about my modem? If so, yes, it does have an antenna and four Ethernet ports. Yes, I am connected to my computer through an Ethernet cable. So if I disconnect my Ethernet cable should the wireless network work:confused:?

sunny

meh.
HSC
1) Check DHCP is enabled in the router
2) Check wireless is enabled in the router
3) Check security settings like SSID and WEP settings for both your wireless NIC and the router

Some of the terminology you have been using have completely confused people.

That is what I thought, but if that is my LAN connection, then where is my ADSL connection?
You do not have a "wireless modem". What you have is an ADSL modem, which is connected to your wireless router - both of which happens to be inside the same package.

When you connect computers to your modem/router - they are connecting to the router. The router decides whether the packets needs to be sent to the modem, and the modem sends it to the Internet. There is no direct connection between the ADSL modem and your computer, only the router and your computer, which is why the speed is 100mbps - that is the speed of the network.

Yes, I am connected to my computer through an Ethernet cable. So if I disconnect my Ethernet cable should the wireless network work?
Are your wireless NIC and wired NIC the same card? It is possible to be connected at the same time using both wired and wireless NICs - they will both have a different IP. No it doesn't necessarily make your connection faster.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sunny said:
1) Check DHCP is enabled in the router
In the "Router Status" menu under "ADSL Port" it says "HDCP: PPPOA" and under "LAN Port" it says "On". Is that right:confused:?

sunny said:
2) Check wireless is enabled in the router
Yeah, I am pretty sure it is:).

sunny said:
3) Check security settings like SSID and WEP settings for both your wireless NIC and the router
Under the "Security" menu, none of those settings options are listed:(.

sunny said:
Some of the terminology you have been using have completely confused people.

You do not have a "wireless modem". What you have is an ADSL modem, which is connected to your wireless router - both of which happens to be inside the same package.

When you connect computers to your modem/router - they are connecting to the router. The router decides whether the packets needs to be sent to the modem, and the modem sends it to the Internet. There is no direct connection between the ADSL modem and your computer, only the router and your computer, which is why the speed is 100mbps - that is the speed of the network.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. I did say I had no idea though:eek:.

sunny said:
Are your wireless NIC and wired NIC the same card? It is possible to be connected at the same time using both wired and wireless NICs - they will both have a different IP. No it doesn't necessarily make your connection faster.
Well it looks like my Ethernet cable is plugging into my Motherboard but my wireless NIC card is just a PCI adaptor that I slotted into a PCI slot on the Motherboard. So I guess the answer to your question is no, my wireless NIC and wired NIC is not the same card:).

sunny

meh.
HSC
Merethrond said:
In the "Router Status" menu under "ADSL Port" it says "HDCP: PPPOA" and under "LAN Port" it says "On". Is that right:confused:?
I assume you meant DHCP? Its probably set correctly already since your wired network is working.

Merethrond said:
Under the "Security" menu, none of those settings options are listed:(.
These settings must exist somewhere - without them a wireless network does not work. SSID is similar to the network name, except it is the wireless network. WEP does not have to be enabled, but it leaves your wireless network open to attack. I suggest to turn WEP off until you get it to work without WEP. Once you do, then fiddle with WEP.

Merethrond said:
Well it looks like my Ethernet cable is plugging into my Motherboard but my wireless NIC card is just a PCI adaptor that I slotted into a PCI slot on the Motherboard. So I guess the answer to your question is no, my wireless NIC and wired NIC is not the same card:).
If thats the case, then either your wireless NIC is not installed correctly or your wireless settings in the router/computer are wrong (SSID and WEP are common)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sunny said:
I assume you meant DHCP? Its probably set correctly already since your wired network is working.)
Yes, I meant DHCP, sorry:).

sunny said:
These settings must exist somewhere - without them a wireless network does not work. SSID is similar to the network name, except it is the wireless network. WEP does not have to be enabled, but it leaves your wireless network open to attack. I suggest to turn WEP off until you get it to work without WEP. Once you do, then fiddle with WEP.

If thats the case, then either your wireless NIC is not installed correctly or your wireless settings in the router/computer are wrong (SSID and WEP are common)
OK, I will just have to keep looking:).

ReaveR

HSC
Grizzly said:
I think i may have the same router as you...
is it the NETGEAR MR-321 ? ...its blue ? :)
The wireless sucks on that thing....cant maintain a connection further than 5m, worse when its not line of sight...
*hugs access point* :p
Haha, nah I got an MR814, silver and roundish lol
Wireless is pretty good, it even goes downstairs like twenty metres away, thats through like the floor and 3 concrete walls. My room sucks for it though, so suspicious.

And WEP and SSID settings for it are found under 'Wireless settings', it splits settings into Basic and Wireless, see if you got something similar Merethrond.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
ReaveR said:
And WEP and SSID settings for it are found under 'Wireless settings', it splits settings into Basic and Wireless, see if you got something similar Merethrond.
Ah, it was sitting under my nose all along. It is under the main heading "Wireless Settings" and it is broken up into four sub-headings: "Wireless Network", "Wireless Access Point", "Wireless Station Access List" and "Security Options". Under "Wireless Network" it has "Name (SSID)" and "NETGEAR" is written beside it. Under "Wireless Network" it has "Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)" and that is ticked. Finally, under "Security Options" it has "WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)" and that is not ticked. Are those settings correct:)?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Merethrond said:
Ah, it was sitting under my nose all along. It is under the main heading "Wireless Settings" and it is broken up into four sub-headings: "Wireless Network", "Wireless Access Point", "Wireless Station Access List" and "Security Options". Under "Wireless Network" it has "Name (SSID)" and "NETGEAR" is written beside it. Under "Wireless Network" it has "Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)" and that is ticked. Finally, under "Security Options" it has "WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy)" and that is not ticked. Are those settings correct:)?
Change your wireless NIC settings to reflect the settings in your router. You might want to change the default SSID name to something else.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sunny said:
Change your wireless NIC settings to reflect the settings in your router. You might want to change the default SSID name to something else.
Done, but still won't work:(. Thanks for your help anyway:).

sunny

meh.
HSC
1) Check your wireless NIC is actually installed properly
2) Double check you have: a) set the correct SSID in the router and the wireless NIC connection, b) disabled WEP in both the router and the wireless NIC
3) Check that the wireless network is actually on (there should be some LED indicator on the router)
4) Check other wireless network settings in the router such as the access list (usually based on MAC addresses).

Other things might be giving you clues, eg, whether the wireless NIC appears ok in Device Manager, whether it is given an IP at all, etc.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
It's working! I don't know what I did, I was just fiddling around and now it is working:D! Thanks everyone for your help:).

sunny

meh.
HSC
Well done (whatever you did). Now you might actually want to try and get the WEP settings to work.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
sunny said:
Well done (whatever you did). Now you might actually want to try and get the WEP settings to work.
Why do I have to change that if it is working:)?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Merethrond said:
Why do I have to change that if it is working:)?
WEP off = no encryption = unprotected network = I can sit outside your house on the street and use your wireless connection without you knowing.

At least use the router's access list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)