PLEASE help me (new ADSL connection)! (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Hi everyone. After spending all day trying to set everything up, I am finally connected to the Internet. I have been trying to follow the manuals but I am not really getting anywhere. I just fluked getting it to work as it is now. Can someone tell me how to get a network connection from my PCI Card to my Modem (they are both wireless). I think that is what I have to do but I am not really sure about that either. Thanks for any help:).

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
What exactly are you trying to do ?

Add the internet to another machine? Over a network?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well I want to correctly configure my modem to access the Internet and I am not sure if I have to configure my wireless PCI card to my wireless modem in order for it to work. At the moment, my connection is not even showing in the taskbar:eek:! I have no idea how I am connected at all:p.

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Can someone please explain it to me? Even if you just answer one question I would appreciate it. One thing that I really want to know is why my connection is not even showing in the taskbar. I want to know how fast I am connected at and how much I have downloaded and uploaded:).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Merethrond said:
Hi everyone. After spending all day trying to set everything up, I am finally connected to the Internet. I have been trying to follow the manuals but I am not really getting anywhere. I just fluked getting it to work as it is now. Can someone tell me how to get a network connection from my PCI Card to my Modem (they are both wireless). I think that is what I have to do but I am not really sure about that either. Thanks for any help:).

I'm not aware you can have ADSL modems with inbuilt wireless ?
You sure you dont have a router as well ?

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Grizzly said:
I'm not aware you can have ADSL modems with inbuilt wireless ?
You sure you dont have a router as well ?
Yeah, it is a combined ADSL modem and wireless router:).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Oh. in that case, i can try n' help u (I use wireless between my 3 comps, and, i even share my net with our tennants that live next door through wireless, lol )

What exactly is the problem ? Post the specs / model number, ISP etc.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Well I don't really have a problem as such, I think I have got everything set up correctly now but I just want to know a few things. One thing I want to know is whether your connection should be showing in the Taskbar when you connect to the Internet like it does with a dial-up modem. You know how it tells you how fast you are connected at and how much you have downloaded and uploaded, is it the same with ADSL or is that just a dial-up thing:)?

Secondly, when I go to look at my connection in the Network Connections folder all there is is a Local Area Connection. Is that how you connect to the Internet with ADSL, because if so, it says my connection speed is 100.0 Mbps which is not possible. I am thinking that has something to do with a LAN connection or something:)?

Finally, I want to know how the PCI Card and modem work. Like does the data go from my modem to my PCI Card? I am so lost as you can probably tell. I only have the one computer but I am pretty sure we will be getting another one soon so I want to know how to network our printer too. Thanks for any help:).

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Merethrond said:
whether your connection should be showing in the Taskbar when you connect to the Internet like it does with a dial-up modem.
If you go to My Network Places, and click 'View Network Connections', it should bring them all up. The one connected to the internet will have the name of your modem in grey writing under it's network connection name/whether it's enabled or disabled.

If you click properties, you can opt for the connection to be viewed in the taskbar. Waste of space if you ask me.

Merethrond said:
Secondly, when I go to look at my connection in the Network Connections folder all there is is a Local Area Connection.
Yes, that's your LAN connection (100Mbps).

Merethrond said:
Finally, I want to know how the PCI Card and modem work.
Internal dialup modems receive their data through a phone cable, and the data is passed to the computer through the PCI slot. In a cable modem, the data is passed from the cable -> modem, and then to the computer via a USB or Ethernet cable, and sent wherever it should be going by the processor.

In a wireless network, the data is simply sent on a frequency, instead of through a USB or Ethernet cable.

Merethrond said:
I want to know how to network our printer too. Thanks for any help:).
You enable 'File and Printer sharing', and you should be able to print over the network

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
MedNez said:
If you go to My Network Places, and click 'View Network Connections', it should bring them all up. The one connected to the internet will have the name of your modem in grey writing under it's network connection name/whether it's enabled or disabled.
The thing is, when I go into Network Connections, I don't see a connection with the name of my modem (Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem Access point/4Port Router 802.11G (54Mbps)) in grey writing under it's network connection (see the below attachment):confused:.

MedNez said:
If you click properties, you can opt for the connection to be viewed in the taskbar. Waste of space if you ask me.

MedNez said:
Yes, that's your LAN connection (100Mbps).
That is what I thought, but if that is my LAN connection, then where is my ADSL connection:confused:?

MedNez said:
Internal dialup modems receive their data through a phone cable, and the data is passed to the computer through the PCI slot. In a cable modem, the data is passed from the cable -> modem, and then to the computer via a USB or Ethernet cable, and sent wherever it should be going by the processor.

In a wireless network, the data is simply sent on a frequency, instead of through a USB or Ethernet cable.
In that case, I don't think my wireless connection is working properly because I also have an Ethernet cable running from my modem to my computer. I think it is using that to transfer the data instead:(.

You enable 'File and Printer sharing', and you should be able to print over the network[/QUOTE]

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
if the wireless network is not connected but shows a signal u dont have the proper setting in the computer or the computers r not negotiating with each other to form the network

make sure everything is installed properly and that all comps have the same settings....read the manuals and input any settings the adsl requires into the network settings thru microsoft software or the networks settings

Adrian.

HSC
That picture is right. It says Realtek becasue that is the brand of your NIC (Network Interface Card or as you like to call it a 'PCI card'). It isn't listed as an ADSL connection becasue as far as the computer knows it could be connected to only one other computer or (as in your case) the internet. You should have been told the speed of your ADSL when you chose your plan. To find out download a file from a reliable server and see what speed it downloads at.
~25KBps = 256/64Kbps
~50KBps = 512/128Kbps
~150KBps = 1536/256Kbps

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
if the wireless network is not connected but shows a signal u dont have the proper setting in the computer or the computers r not negotiating with each other to form the network
I don't really have a network yet though. I just thought my modem needed to be connected to my PCI card:confused:.

Adrian. said:
That picture is right. It says Realtek becasue that is the brand of your NIC (Network Interface Card or as you like to call it a 'PCI card').
No I was referring to an actual PCI card. It is the Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI Card 802.11G (54Mbps). Maybe I am confused because I thought I needed that to receive the data that my wireless ADSL Modem was sending it:confused:?

Adrian. said:
It isn't listed as an ADSL connection becasue as far as the computer knows it could be connected to only one other computer or (as in your case) the internet.
OK, so it is normal, thanks:).

Adrian. said:
You should have been told the speed of your ADSL when you chose your plan. To find out download a file from a reliable server and see what speed it downloads at.
~25KBps = 256/64Kbps
~50KBps = 512/128Kbps
~150KBps = 1536/256Kbps
Yeah, I know my connection is definitely 512 Kbps, it is just that when I click on my Local Area Connection it says 100 Mbps. I would have expected it to say 512 Kbps:confused:. Then when I click on it and look at the "activity" data it only says I have received 912,445 (I am assuming Bytes) or something else really small, when I know I have downloaded hundreds of Megabytes:confused:.

Adrian.

HSC
Merethrond said:
Yeah, I know my connection is definitely 512 Kbps, it is just that when I click on my Local Area Connection it says 100 Mbps. I would have expected it to say 512 Kbps:confused:.
That's because it's showing the speed of your NIC not your ADSL. That means if you had a 90Mbps internet connection your NIC would be able to transfer all that data but if you had a 110Mbps internet connection the NIC wouldn't be able to handle that amount of traffic.

Merethrond said:
Then when I click on it and look at the "activity" data it only says I have received 912,445 (I am assuming Bytes) or something else really small, when I know I have downloaded hundreds of Megabytes:confused:.
The data is actually measured in packets not bytes.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
oh ur not using the wireless network then? sorry
One of the questions I am asking is whether I am supposed to be using it to connect my Wireless Modem to my Wireless PCI Card:).

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well if ur modem does have the option of being wireless u need a wireless router connected to ur pci card to pick up the signal- isnt this the case

u just cant have the wireless pci card, u also need the router

i have a linksys router myself, but they all work in the same way

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Adrian. said:
That's because it's showing the speed of your NIC not your ADSL. That means if you had a 90Mbps internet connection your NIC would be able to transfer all that data but if you had a 110Mbps internet connection the NIC wouldn't be able to handle that amount of traffic.
Oh, I see. So is it possible to change it so it shows the speed of my ADSL not my NIC:)?

Adrian. said:
The data is actually measured in packets not bytes.
Ah, yes I see that now. Thanks:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
well if ur modem does have the option of being wireless u need a wireless router connected to ur pci card to pick up the signal- isnt this the case

u just cant have the wireless pci card, u also need the router

i have a linksys router myself, but they all work in the same way
Well I have a Netgear DG834G ADSL Modem Access point/4Port Router 802.11G (54Mbps). Is that the router you are talking about? I also have a Netgear WG311 Wireless PCI Card 802.11G (54Mbps). Do I need another router attached to that:confused:?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)