Pilots (1 Viewer)

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
My brother did the Qantas cadetship straight out of school. It was a gruelling and expensive year (cost over $60k all up just for the classes) but hes now been flying with Qantas for about 3 years.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
yaaaa i wanna be a pilot.......................... and I'm planning on going through the flight degree at UNSW even if it takes 3 years.

I think the degree would be of some advantage.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
Grobus, is your brother a second officer?

can you ask him if he knows anything about Cathay cadetships?

dave_119

Banned
HSC
how would he know about cathay cadetships?? why not visit their website???

u do relaise trying for cathay means ull have 2 go 2 hong kong!!

Spiked_Phate

overloaded student
HSC
Id go for UNSW personaly. It takes longer, costs more, and the flying costs you cant defer, but on the u side, you come out with a hell of a lot more.
If you seriously want to be a pilot and love flying, its like the old thing, you can do something better if you know more about it. Uni will give you a degree and much more knowledge into the way the industry works, and all the other stuff, including aircraft systems, flight theory, weather.
Plus a Ba.Sci Aviation looks better than grad from basair or somewhere like that. s'up to you, but if you wanna make a career out of it, why not do it properly.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
yeah i know that. theres nothing wrong with hong kong

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
yeah some qualification will look nice on my CV and i will have no security when i retire from being a pilot.

man this foresight into my future is pretty head-killing

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
does it bother you that when you get a job you will be spending a lot of time away from australia, family and friends?
do they let you tour the country when you do a flight to it?

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
well my family is from hong kong, so i guess it wont matter

i was thinking of doing the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme instead of hsc and hen further study in Oxford or Cambridge University...but i think those dreams will never be reached...but thats study away from family and friends

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
Wato, which pilot school do you goto?

I talked to a student from Aerospace Aviation which is also at Bankstown airport

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i was also told that you go not need 20/20 eye sight without glasses

its 20/20 eyesight corrected with glasses

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
I wonder how you can afford the flying lessons. Rich parents or going into heavy debts?

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
hmm yeah...well its like 40k...guess thats affordable by most parents

but i know people who get a job and pay the fees themselves

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
want2beSMART said:
Grobus, is your brother a second officer?

can you ask him if he knows anything about Cathay cadetships?
Yea, hes a second officer. The cadetships are a little different now because they run them from Singapore (I think). I dont know anything about the Cathay ones though, sorry.

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
no Cathay is run in Hong Kong but the training is in Adelaide

Ghost1788

HSC
One of my friends wants to be a fighter pilot, so he is joining the airforce via ADFA (THROUGH COURSE IN UNSW) he was telling me that he doesnt need much to get in, in terms of subjects and UAI roughly 80-85 but of the 1000's of applicants wait for it......

............................................only 32 get in so technically the UAI requirement is alot higher to compete and get in.

I also think ADFA gives a test and depending on how well you do in this test depends on what kind of aircraft they will let you fly also i heard that many if not most pilots are ex-airforce/navy/army pilots (these are usually the ones who didnot score high enough on the test mentioned earlier

I dunnno what i'm talking about.... i think.....plz tell me if i right or wrong i think i right

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
is the UNSW aviation course located at ADFA or another location?

a choice to take is the uni course but i dont want to goto ADFA for various reasons

ronak123

HSC
Hey wato, just wondering do you have msn? i want to discuss some aviation stuff wit u :)

ronnie2151

HSC
you got a point there, of course a Degree in Aviation is gonna look much more better than a dip from Basair. But while your there stuck in Uni the person with the Diploma would have Graduated and has already started building his/her experience in hours by working in general aviation. But what I'd like to do is to get my Dip first and then work while studying part time for the degree. Thats what I would do anyways

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)