Pilots (2 Viewers)

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i want to be a pilot. can anyone advise on the steps to become 1?

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
You can go to uni which will take 3 years, better option is to go to a flying school which takes 1 year and u get more flying experience in the one year than in the whole 3 years at uni. Go here http://www.basair.com.au they have heaps of good info, should tell u everything u need to know. Costs a lot of $$$ though

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what's the point of going to uni then?

dave_119

Banned
HSC
theres various cadet schemes qantas etc... all though they r rather expensive... um the air force or army.. look at defence jobs.... hope that helps..

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
There was a guy at my school wanting to become a commercial airline pilot, eventually.

He did a pilot.. training.. course, thing.. so he could fly Cessna's by himself. He then tried for the air force but I don't know how far he got with that. No idea where/what he's doing now, but that was his line of enquiry. Smart kid, and he looked into it and had thought it out pretty well, figuring that the pilot course might help him with his application to the air force, and if the AF application fell through, he'd still have some experience to try other avenues...

Good money, it'd seem. Personally I can't help but think it could get a little boring except for the first and last few hours, and the globetrotting would wear thin, but hey... I suppose any job gets like that eventually!

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
iambored said:
what's the point of going to uni then?
if u don't have money. The flying school courses cost around $50k, and u have to pay it, u can't get a loan like HECS or anything. Unlike if u go to uni to do it where u can put it all on HECS

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Skittled said:
Good money, it'd seem. Personally I can't help but think it could get a little boring except for the first and last few hours, and the globetrotting would wear thin, but hey... I suppose any job gets like that eventually!
i think it'd be amazing to go to so many different countries, but as you said it might wear thin but at the same time as you said it's the same with all jobs. i didn't think pilots got paid much? also they might have to spend a lot of time away from their family and friends?

yenta said:
if u don't have money. The flying school courses cost around $50k, and u have to pay it, u can't get a loan like HECS or anything. Unlike if u go to uni to do it where u can put it all on HECS
k i c, that's a lot, you'd have to work for a while to make the money

Wato said:
I am currently undertaking full time Pilot Training at Bankstown. If you have any specfic questions email or private message me.

There are many different avenues with the mains ones being:

- Air Force
- Uni
- Pilot School
- Cadetships

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.
can you give a quick run down on the differences, what it's like, why you wanted to be a pilot, if you're enjoying it etc.

also do pilots have a trip on, then a trip off back in their home country? do they have holiday time in the other countries or come straight back home?

Last edited:

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
iambored said:
i didn't think pilots got paid much?
I think they start off on around $40k, that's when they work as a flying instructor, then it goes right up to first captains who get over $100k/

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
that's heaps, they do deserve fairly good pay though because they work long and different hours

what's a 2nd officer, 1st officer and captain?

Last edited:

dave_119

Banned
HSC
pilots at qantas earn good money, but pilots at other airlines earn great money...
qantas- 2nd officer= 75000
1st officer= 150000
captain = 200000 +

other airlines like emirates, south china and dragon air pay good money for captains 300000+

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i want to take the uni degree...which course do i take?

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i was hoping for a cadetship at Cathay after i get a uni degree

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
guys sorry for the 'spamming' but WATO do you have msn?

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
alright cools

so why didnt you did you choose to goto pilot school rather than uni?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes thanks the explanations were good.

so what extra would you learn from the degree?

edit for below - the site said they want to recruit early so they get the most out of their pilots before retirement. how old are pilots when they retire?

Last edited:

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
yeah the quicker u get your qualification the better, because airlines want to recruit pilots at as young an age as possible

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i dont know but i know for sure is that the retirement age is decreasing

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
well for example if you have a medical degree. when you retire, you could be a GP. some may say why not just be a doctor instead of a pilot. well for me, being a pilot has been a life-long dream. the GP bit is just a job when you are too old haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)