pill question (1 Viewer)

jen23

hey just wondering, im going on the pill (as in ive got the packet in my bathroom..) and was wondering, do i have to wait to the start of my next period to take it or can i take it now? i know if i take it on the first day of my period then its effective straight away, if i take it now obviously it wont be active straight away, but how long does it take before it is? is it a week? im not sure and was just wondering if anyone knows. the pill im on is yasmin btw if that helps.

KarmaKitten

HSC
First of all, no even if you take it on the first day of your period, it is not active straight away! it takes about 7-14 days for it to start protecting you.

and as far as i know, you do take it on the first day of your period, but the ones you take during your period are the sugar pills.
so lets say your period started on tuesday, so the sugar pill starts on tuesday, however the actual active pills (the yellow, white and brown) usually start about saturday i think?
so as long as you are able to make it for that, you will be fine

example, you didnt take the sugar pill on tuesday and its now friday, you can still begin the sugar pill for friday, as you havent missed an active pill yet.

i hope it makes sense :\ its so much easier trying to explain it by mouth, than by text

jen23

pinkblinkbarbie said:
um the doctor should of given you all the instructions. if not, read the instructions on the box/in the box.
yeah i did read it, it said to start on the first day of your period. the doctor i went to was like the old crusty man and was sooo awquad about the whole thing. i read in the booklet and its like "your doctor shouldve asked you this and this etc before perscribing this" and i as like "nup, mine didnt!".

i know i should wait for my period cause its effective straight away, id just heard u can start anytime, but youve gotta wait a week before its effective, i was just wondering if anyone had any confirmation on that before i did that cause id ont wanna take any risks

timrie6

HSC
N/A
um it won't be effective straight away!

you start taking the sugar pills on the first day of your period.
so if it starts tommorow (thurs) start on the thursday sugar pill.
and wait for 2 weeks before you rely on it and even then its best to use condoms as well anyway.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
lucy63 said:
hey just wondering, im going on the pill (as in ive got the packet in my bathroom..) and was wondering, do i have to wait to the start of my next period to take it or can i take it now? i know if i take it on the first day of my period then its effective straight away, if i take it now obviously it wont be active straight away, but how long does it take before it is? is it a week? im not sure and was just wondering if anyone knows. the pill im on is yasmin btw if that helps.
Wait until your period. And like everyone's saying, it's not going to be effective straight away, depending on what day your period starts depends on when it's going to start being effected. You're meant to start taking them from the shaded area, and these are sugar pills, they won't offer you any protection at all, but you have to take them to keep the cycle regular. Apparently Yasmin works 7 days after taking active pills, but most doctors, to keep things safe, still recommend you use additional methods of contraception (not the rhythm or temperature method) for at least 14 days.

Also when starting out on the pill it's best to keep using a condom for a while anyways, the pill you are taking might not be suited to you, eg it may make you sick/throw up, or if you get the runs, your pill becomes ineffective. And if it's not strong enough and you experience break through bleeding, you won't be properly protected. You won't know if the pill is strong enough/right for you for at least 2-3 months.

jen23

i found this on the cleo website, so maybe thats the way to go, dont you just love online trashy mags!

"sex Q & A birthcontrol
How long after just starting the pill do you have to wait till you can actually have unprotected sex?

According to Contraception: a user’s guide, by Anne Szarewski and John Guillebaud, if you start taking the combined pill proper (not the sugar pills that come in a 28-day pack) on the first day of your period, then as a rule, you will have immediate protection. Start any time after that, say the third day of your period, however, and you should take extra precautions. You should use those extra precautions for the next seven days.

It’s always best to read the instructions that come with your pill package and follow them! They will outline in detail when and how to take your pill, and when it becomes effective. Also, talk to your doctor if you have any questions at all.

The November issue of CLEO magazine, on-sale Monday October 21, features a Contraception special, which will answer all your questions about the Pill."

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Actually, the magazine was absolutely correct...if you take the active pills on the first day of your period, you are immediately protected. This is cos the first day of your period is the first day of your cycle, and your body is shedding a 'dead' egg and has not yet produced a new one. In theory anyway (this is all assuming you have a relatively regualr cycle where you ovulate around day 14).

For more info have a look though http://www.livejournal.com/community/birthcontrol/ (in particular the memories

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
my doctor says that the minimum you should wait is 7 days of hormone pills before you stop using a backup contraceptive, however he recommends if you want maximum safeness to wait 14 days.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
glycerine said:
my doctor says that the minimum you should wait is 7 days of hormone pills before you stop using a backup contraceptive, however he recommends if you want maximum safeness to wait 14 days.
safeness is a word?

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Ms 12 said:
Actually, the magazine was absolutely correct...if you take the active pills on the first day of your period, you are immediately protected. This is cos the first day of your period is the first day of your cycle, and your body is shedding a 'dead' egg and has not yet produced a new one. In theory anyway (this is all assuming you have a relatively regualr cycle where you ovulate around day 14).

For more info have a look though http://www.livejournal.com/community/birthcontrol/ (in particular the memories
While this can be true, a majority of girls don't experience regular cycles, and anything can throw it off, it IS possible for a new egg to be produced while you are menstruating, it doesn't immediately go to the uterus tho, the journey takes a few days, and unless the girl can tell she has just began ovulating (some can, but seeing as if it happens while they're menstruating they're probably in pain already and then aren't able to tell), she can't know if she's ovulated or not while menstruating. And this just causes more problems, if you get pregnant while the egg is still in your ovary, you end up with an ectopic pregnancy.

OH and btw one of the reasons they recommend you taking it on the first day of your period also is because they judge your period to be basically a month long, and they try to keep that regular, if you started the pill halfway through your cycle, you might end up with break through bleeding towards the end.

its takes a whole month for the actual pill to protect you
because you have to go thriough a whole cycle, thats what my doc said and you safe to wait 2 months before having unprotected sex

but i got pregnant of the fuckers so use condoms as well!!! but lucky for me i was sick at the time and the morphine and other pills killed the fucking baby!!!!

whooo hooo

which pill are you going on ??? brand - which one makes you fat?

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
the pill doesn't make women fat, it's just an excuse for being fat :p:D

*runs and hides*

HSC
N/A
glycerine said:
Yep that what my doctor said also, i've been on the pill for 5 months now and ive had no problems. Its deffinately not effecitive as soon as you take the first pill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)