Physiotherapy. Please read! (1 Viewer)

gee1

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
Am desperately looking at options for studying physiotherapy anywhere!

Being a school teacher and having a B.A./Grad Dip Ed I would have thought that getting into university wouldn't be so hard but I am not having any luck. One problem is not having studied any science at university. Crazily I am told by a couple of institutions that I could go into the post grad program if I completed a year of anatomy as a single unit. However there is no guarantee that this would work and I am keen to get in and get started. I have also been told that I may be able to enter a B.A. Exercise Science (if I complete a bridging course in chemistry and maths by the end of the year-another problem-all the bridging courses seem to start in Jan/Feb!!). Any constructive advice here is welcome. I have read through nearly every post on this site with the keyword physiotherapy.

Thanks.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Every university has different policies regarding mature aged students and graduate studies, etc.

Usyd is one of strictest, as you would know you must have an undergrad degree in science or therapy to do the masters course, so unless you are willing to do that, it rules usyd out. ATAR 96.80, 2009 97 (UAI: 96.25)

Other uni's such as UWS which has a brand new physiotherapy course, will look at your GPA from any previous degree (completed <10 years ago): UWS: Bachelor of Health Science/ Master of Physiotherapy
UWS: NCSL Undergraduate

I suggest you contact UWS admissions on your circumstance(s): Applying to study | University of Western Sydney (UWS) ATAR 98.55

Uni of Newcastle: Bachelor of Physiotherapy / Program Handbook / The University of Newcastle, Australia ATAR 97.65

Last edited:

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
You need a very good GPA to get into physiotherapy, But I do know of a few people in my year (in newcastle) who swapped in with science degrees. I dont think science/maths is too important. I did no maths in my hsc at all and I got in on my atar. You do learn ALOT! of biology in the first year it comes into alot of things! You do a little chemistry and a little physics in in biomechanics of movement. But I dont think that you need to have done previous study to grasp the content as it is all taught to you with no assumed knoweledge. You do have some maths in stats which you only take for a semester in second year (i havent done this yet!). Just apply for every institution and hope for the best, anyone can do this course but it is one of the harder ones to get into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)