Physics Help (1 Viewer)

muz01

HSC
is physics hard as in maths related to the course, or do u have to be full into maths and be doing advanced/extention to understand it

madd-eh?

Super Member.
HSC
You don't really need to do ext. maths in physics.
the first module, space, involves heaps of calculations.. so being able to use formula's and stuff helps.
but otherwise its not too important.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
muz01 said:
is physics hard as in maths related to the course, or do u have to be full into maths and be doing advanced/extention to understand it
for HSC physics, you can survive with only knowledge of General Mathematics. However you will have a deeper understanding of some areas if you do 2U Mathematics.

However for physics at uni, you need to be good at maths. 3U is probably the minimum, however 2U may also be ok, however you will do more math at uni that you will use in physics.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
If you are good at algebra and substitution (which is covered in the junior years of maths already!) you will be able to deal with physics just fine. You don't even need to be doing General maths, if you don't want to.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I'm pretty sure for physics, you would need to do a minimum of advanced mathematics 2U and if your doing 3U, it'll boost your knowledge further. If your doing really well in general, there should be no worries :). My opinion though.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
It makes more sense if you've done 3 unit because you can see where some equations came from (derivatives and such for projectile motion) but luckily for those who don't like maths, the physics syllabus just says 'these are the formulae' and you get to take them on blind faith.

morganforrest

HSC
muz01 said:
A comprehension of the english language can be helpful at times...

SoMeRaNdOm.

HSC
well in the topic 'moving about' you really need a good understanding of scalors and vectors to get anywhere, in which i am lacking at the moment. it doesnt really help that our texts books havent arrived yet so we have heaps and heaps of sheets.

iilinga

HSC
the maths will help you, but its probably not necessary

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
You just need a basic grasp of algebra - pretty much substitution and some basic equation solving. You also need to be able to draw graphs, etc. - some basic stuff. It's not that hard.

The whole scalar/vector thing isn't too hard. (My school starts the course with Moving About so we get that out of the way within the first few weeks.)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
morganforrest said:
A comprehension of the english language can be helpful at times...
LOL.

But in all seriousness, Maths isn't as big a part of the Physics course as it was a couple of years ago. A lot of the Maths work has been removed from the syllabus, and it has been replaced by discussion type questions.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
powerdrive said:
but there were heaps of maths q's in the 2007 hsc
but still they wern't very hard in terms of the math involved.

SoMeRaNdOm. said:
well in the topic 'moving about' you really need a good understanding of scalors and vectors to get anywhere, in which i am lacking at the moment. it doesnt really help that our texts books havent arrived yet so we have heaps and heaps of sheets.
Yes you do need this. But scalars and vectors, on the most basic level, aren't very difficult. All you really need to know is the conversions from Cartesian to polar and vice versa (which is just trig), and that you can add vectors in Cartesian by adding the vertical and horizontal components respectively.

ajdlinux said:
You just need a basic grasp of algebra - pretty much substitution and some basic equation solving. You also need to be able to draw graphs, etc. - some basic stuff. It's not that hard.
Yeah, this is about as hard as it gets, which most of you learnt in year 7-10.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)