People doing Sci (Adv)/Commerce (1 Viewer)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
No, provided he does not complete 240cp by the end of his second last semester, he can continue onto his last semester and complete more than 240cp. The rule only states that once you have completed 240cp you must either graduate or gain dean's permission to continue, and I'm sure in these cases he will be allowed to do so, with his academic record. He can elect to finish his degree early should he have fulfilled all the requirements (at least 240cp) and obtained the majors he want.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Templar is this the case in all unis? And by academic record, do you mean marks?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I'm not sure if it applies to all unis, or even every faculty. It's stated in the resolutions of the science faculty handbook, and I checked it up because I've been overloading for the past two semesters (nothing major this semester, just 3cp extra).

In most cases if you have brilliant marks you will be allowed to stay. But if you have brilliant marks from overloading you might as well finish your degree earlier.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
adamsaclown said:
or alternatively, you could just spread your science subjects across your degree more, couldn't you? as in, finish off your science degree in 4th yr instead of 3rd? I'm sure it would get messy, but I'm also pretty sure you can get two majors without having to overload...

also, considering the 240cp limit, since if you've overloaded in 3 semesters, does that mean in 3 other semesters you'll have to go below 24cp (so you don't go over the limit), or do you just finish your degree early?

Workload wise, sci(adv)/'comm is very heavy in the first 3 years, but once u knock over science, ur hours per week literally halve as you are just finishing off comm, and it's a walk in the park. You've just got to be efficient in the way that u study in the course.

Generally most ppl who do sci(adv)/Comm will want to finish the science part within 3 years so that they only have to finish off comm in the last 2. If u want a double major in science as part of the degree you've got to overload heavily in third year around 30 cp each sem. I think the smarter solution is to obtain a single major in science and go for a double major in commerce, to keep the workload manageable.

Last edited:
A

adamsaclown

Ultimate said:
Workload wise, sci(adv)/'comm is very heavy in the first 3 years, but once u knock over science, ur hours per week literally halve as you are just finishing off comm, and it's a walk in the park. You've just got to be efficient in the way that u study in the course.

Generally most ppl who do sci(adv)/Comm will want to finish the science part within 3 years so that they only have to finish off comm in the last 2. If u want a double major in science as part of the degree you've got to overload heavily in third year around 30 cp each sem. I think the smarter solution is to obtain a single major in science and go for a double major in commerce, to keep the workload manageable.
true... but i'm really more into the science so I want a psych and computer science major, and I figured it all out and I'll be finishing off the IT stuff in 4th year (with no overloading)... oh well.

kranqualizer

HSC
whats the fail rate for sci(adv)/commerce?? do a lot of people drop out due to the heavy work load?

A

adamsaclown

kranqualizer said:
whats the fail rate for sci(adv)/commerce?? do a lot of people drop out due to the heavy work load?
I wouldn't imagine any more so than a regular B. Science degree, or even less.

There's a number of ways of graduating with the advanced science degree within the combined program, I've spoken to the faculty and they said it doesnt matter if you don't say you want to go into the advanced stream when you enrol, just as long as you meet the requirements for an advanced degree (i.e. the minimum number of advanced units), you will graduate with the 'advanced' after the science component.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
adamsaclown said:
I wouldn't imagine any more so than a regular B. Science degree, or even less.

There's a number of ways of graduating with the advanced science degree within the combined program, I've spoken to the faculty and they said it doesnt matter if you don't say you want to go into the advanced stream when you enrol, just as long as you meet the requirements for an advanced degree (i.e. the minimum number of advanced units), you will graduate with the 'advanced' after the science component.
are you sure the 'advanced' is written on your testamur?

A

adamsaclown

I'm pretty sure. I emailed them specifically about that and they said when you graduate they check whether you've met the requirements for an Advanced degree, though it might be just for combined degrees? and thats also the idea I get from reading the Science handbook.

If you're doing just B. Science can you 'transfer' to B. Science (Adv)?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
You can transfer if you have a wam of 75+. I wasn't under the impression it would be stated on your testamur, but I have nothing to back that up except for what unsw does :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)