pay (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
NewKleer... there is another benefit to cash in hand.... if you are getting a government allowance like Youth Allowance it allows you to keep your full allowance, while making extra money on the side.... also if it is a second job, it is taxed more than your first job so sometimes it's pointless to even have a second job unless it's cash in hand. Just stuff I have heard from people that's all.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but that doesn't mean it's right, it's still illegal

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
but if u work and get taxed and ur studying full time like at uni or tafe u later get that taxed amount of money back don't u?
So even tho ur getting less now cos of tax, u will get the gross pay later..........right?

Dave85

HSC
i get paid cash in hand and i get paid the award wages. I also get taxed some weeks (depending on how much i work). Some places employ teenagers witout putting them in the books but where i work they do it properly.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah cash in hand is illegal.... lilaila, I thought that even if you were a full time student you still had to pay tax if you earn above the tax free threshold?

Dave, when people say "cash in hand" it usually implys that they aren't on the books... which is illegal.... but if you are on the books and they aren't doing anything dodgy it's ok.

I need every cent I make to be recorded legally as "income" because I'm trying to earn the $16000 to be considered independant so I can get youth allowance in 12 months....

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i only pay tax if i work alot of hours (like last week i worked 26 hours and i paid $24 tax) but if you earn less than $6000 a year you get it back at tax time..
also another disadvantage of being paid in hand.. (i think my business teacher said this) it is alot easier to dismiss you.. cuz they usually arent in the union and there isnt much record of you working for them.. or something like that

suz

HSC
I work at maccas and I get 11.23 an hour, oh yeah I'm 18

ellie_may

Hye yeah
im 17 and a swim instructor. i get $20 an hour for lessons i take in the water and $18 when im out. so basically i get great money for mucking around with kids in the pool: :D

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Telephone interviewer. I annoy ppl at home by askin them if they want to do a stupid survey.
im on trainin at $14.75/hr after 50hrs im on $17.99/hr
I like my job. Its a lenient workplace where u can have a bit of a chat and you pick your shifts every week so it fits in with uni.

Last edited:

Y2Jackie

Originally posted by kalli
I think i have the shittest job of the lot.

i work casual at Big W and i have to call at about 4:30pm every afternoon to see if i am working that night from 7-10pm. sometimes i dont know if im working until 6:30.

i do really hard work (and work back late) and get only $10 an hour.

if i turn down work for one night (i did it on my 18th birthday) i dont get shifts for at least a WEEK!!!

argh!!!!

p.s. sometimes i dont get paid for staying back either... :(
I work Casual at Big W too, except I know my roster... mostly. It doesn't matter anyway, they've rang me or I've been rostered every day for the last 2 weeks straight and I'm still @ school. My hours are like urs, I'm assuming you do Nightshift or Recovery. U don't get paid at all for staying back or no overtime??? O and I only get $8.77 an hour :/ but I'm only 17 and still on probation. Recovery/Nightshift sux, u gotta stay until ur done no matter what the time :( So I feel ur pain... Availability rosters don't mean shit at my work :/ neither does 1pm... I'm at school!!! or early morning wake up calls to work. bleh!

Y2Jackie

Originally posted by Dave85
ohhh and i forgot 2 mention above for all those who are crying and saying they get paid crap... i was talking to a family friend who is around 22 years old and when he was 14, working @macca's he was getting $3.50 an hour! HOW SHIT IS THAT!
That's illegal dude!!!! Seriously. There's like laws against that shit. Minimum wage.

I know Queensland pay is pretty crap compared to NSW. I know my uncle gets paid about $14 an hour I think, or even closer to my $8.77, and he's in his 50's and pretty high up in the scheme of things @ his work :s sucky huh

bex

HSC
$12.50/ hr in a pharmacy.. but i get above award wage cause its my dad and ive been there for a couple of yrs ;)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
mm then tutoring must be illegal too...as u get cash in hand! :)??

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
actually what's a really booming industry at the moment (for like part time work and students) is nursing

my place is continuously looking for care staff workers for aged care institutions (you do general things like showering, medications, laundry etc) and the rate is pretty low (14.43 per hour) but if you work weekends, saturday is ~22 an hour and sundays is ~26 an hour.

NewKleer

HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
NewKleer... there is another benefit to cash in hand.... if you are getting a government allowance like Youth Allowance it allows you to keep your full allowance, while making extra money on the side.... also if it is a second job, it is taxed more than your first job so sometimes it's pointless to even have a second job unless it's cash in hand. Just stuff I have heard from people that's all.
(legal issues aside)

cash in hand would be good for youth allowance purposes definitely...and multiple jobs complicates tax, so it would help then also.

but if you working just a single job, and getting the same rate as you would otherwise, just without tax, then its only benefiting the employer, not you.

anyway when uni is on i just work $240 worth/fortnight, and get the other 200/fortnight from youth allowance. im so lucky they have that 16000$ independant test for youth allowance, otherwise id never get it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)