Paper 1 English Advanced Tips (1 Viewer)

stormii

HSC
HEY guys. how do you guys think I should tackle paper 1?
like should I do the short answer first or essay first? In my trials I did essay first which my essay was quite good compared to a lot of other people but my short answer was really bad because of panic and running out of time. I guess I also kinda had to reread a bit and not being able to understand the text and pick out techniques.

Also...how much time should I give for each section?

Also for short answer should I do the 5 markers before the 3 marks or vice versa?

also got any tips for just making comprehending texts or answering them any easier?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
HEY guys. how do you guys think I should tackle paper 1?
like should I do the short answer first or essay first? In my trials I did essay first which my essay was quite good compared to a lot of other people but my short answer was really bad because of panic and running out of time. I guess I also kinda had to reread a bit and not being able to understand the text and pick out techniques.

Also...how much time should I give for each section?

Also for short answer should I do the 5 markers before the 3 marks or vice versa?

also got any tips for just making comprehending texts or answering them any easier?
I always do short answer first because I can get it done in 30 minutes, and it's usually recommended to do it first to get it out of the way because it's the easier of the two sections to get marks in and with your essay if you're not careful it's way easier to spend too much time on the essay and leave not enough time on the short answer

spend around 40min per section, if you go over in one section make sure it's not by a lot and only by a few min, I'd say 5 min tops depending on how fast you write or can finish the sections

I always do the 3 markers first because they can get out of the way before spending more time on the usually harder texts worth higher marks. the amount of time u spend on each q depends on the number of marks x 2 (eg. 3 marks = 6 minutes maximum on that question)

for getting better and improving for short texts it's pretty much just practise before the hsc and doing past papers and getting them marked (peer marked or marked by tutor or teacher)

stormii

HSC
thank you so much! ill try to memorise the essay as much as I can maybe so that way it will stick to my Brian no matter when I start writing I can still remember it and perhaps easily adapt. This was really helpful and comforting.

carrotsss

HSC
I’m personally just doing short answers first because I feel like if you run out of time at the end with an essay you can just wrap it up early, whereas if u miss a question in short answers ur basically stuffed

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
I’m personally just doing short answers first because I feel like if you run out of time at the end with an essay you can just wrap it up early, whereas if u miss a question in short answers ur basically stuffed
yea i do short answer first coz like when u read the text in reading time its still fresh or wtv, but if u do the essay first u kinda have to waste time and read the text again

nsw..wollongong

HSC
wtf bruh ive been doing essay first my whole life it feels so good finishing it and then seeing that u have 40-45 minutes for short questions to go

JiffyVFX

HSC
im in year 10 but i found this video online that helped with my english mid years that had a short answer section aswell. his channel is also really good for english. tldr he says to do short answer first because if you do the essay first you will forget the texts you had read in reading time (you'll have to re-read the texts again) so youll end up wasting time.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
im in year 10 but i found this video online that helped with my english mid years that had a short answer section aswell. his channel is also really good for english. tldr he says to do short answer first because if you do the essay first you will forget the texts you had read in reading time (you'll have to re-read the texts again) so youll end up wasting time.
i will do the essay first idc it makes me feel so much better getting it done first

breadcrumbs

HSC
do we lose marks if we dont have a conclusion? everyone is saying smth different
my teacher said to me this entire year that u gotta have one but idk if theyre just trying to scare me

JiffyVFX

HSC
the adv teacher at my school is a hsc marker and she said no so i wasnt sure
i asked my teacherabout this once and he said that hsc markers told our school that students needed a conclusion but then he also said you won't be marked down if you didnt have one? idk probably safer to have one

stormii

HSC
wtf bruh ive been doing essay first my whole life it feels so good finishing it and then seeing that u have 40-45 minutes for short questions to go

I think that's a pro of doing essay first, and is different for everyone. I think not doing short answer first for me made me panic a lot because time was going by so fast from having to reread and reinterpret the texts when I could've just straight up done the short answers first because I just had 10 minutes of reading. I think if you memorised your essay so much it might not even matter when you do the essay.

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
just time manage, if there’s like less than 5 mins on the clock then wrap up your third paragraph and write your conclusion.
idk if i should do unseen or essay first, im way stronger at essays but i feel like id waste time if i do the essay first coz then id need to reread the texts again idk

carrotsss

HSC
idk if i should do unseen or essay first, im way stronger at essays but i feel like id waste time if i do the essay first coz then id need to reread the texts again idk
imo short answers first, it’s way better to wrap up an essay early at the last minute than end up skipping a short answer q

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)