P.I.P idea (1 Viewer)

SMP213

HSC
hey, umm so ima do my PIP on intercultural relationships, but im not sure wat to do it on exactly!
like, wat my question is going to be!
anybody got any ideas on wat a good question would be, coz i need to narrow it down!
im thinking of doin it on how parents dont agree on intercultural relationships, but im not sure.
oh and should i narrow it down to 2 religions e.g. hindu- muslim relationships!?

plzzz help, im confused!
thanx :D

HSC
That still sounds too vague but I realise that's why you're writing here:p Every PIP needs a cross cultural component be it culture, religion, generation. etc so at least you've narrowed your cross cultural component to culture or religion so congrats:p

It's probably harder to do one focussing on religion rather than ethnic culture if you don't go to a religious school but if you think you can do it well anyway go for it. There could be a million questions you could do but you should decided that for yourself but I can attempt to help you narrow it down once you're more clear what you're going to do.

You might want to make a mind map with your potential intercultural pip options and explore how many ways you could explore that intercultural relationship so don't worry about the exact question just yet but you can gather some broader secondary reserach and you may naturally find some aspect(s) that appeals to you the most.

Is there a particular cultural phenonemon you're interested in? Likesome ritual or practise specific to certain cultures? Exploring parental differences in different cultures could be a starting point, as could be hindu-muslim relationships (might cause tension with this topic so be careful!) but I would focus on the topic I want to do first rather than the cross cultural component.

I have to go now but if you come up with something more specific you're interested in I'll try and help, good luck! :)

SMP213

HSC
hey yeah thanks thats a good idea!
but im leaning more towards the idea of how the parents have something against the hindu- muslim relationships! i was thinking of that because being hindu myself, my WEIRD parents forced me to break up with my muslim boyfriend!
so yea!
ummm, but i dont know where to go from that!
i guess ima start my secondary research now, i mean i already have, but its mostly forums about how people have gone through the same thing!
do you think thats a good idea??

HSC
Erm, definitely don't use these forums as your secondary research, they're not reliable! But I can understand you have an interesting idea, and you could use the ideas to research specific aspects about generational attitudes towards hindu-muslim relationships.

Also, if you can get people from these forums who told you the information and interview them/ get them together for a focus group IN PERSON, you could pass that off as primary research=D

As a Muslim, I have to say that it would be religiously forbidden to pursue such relationships because your religious beliefs are too different if you were to say raise kids at some point in the future I hope you don't mind my bluntness:p But as your online internet buddy, I personally know other people who share the same views as you and have had similar experiences to you so if you you pull it off well, it could be quite interesting for you and educational hopefully.

I recommend you grab some scholarly articles for secondary reserach (ask your school librarian/ public library they might be able to help if you tell them your topic and use your library card to access EBSCO etc online for actually reliable articles. Getting a NSW State Library Card also gives you good access to online reliable databases for secondary information:) ). Also, maybe for enhanced macroworld understanding you could get an expert interview with a Muslim and Hindu religious leader or something in relation to marriage/relationships for greater macroworld understanding.

I reckon something interesting to me at least would be applying content analysis to some Indian films e.g. Veer Zahra and examine how they encourage macroworld Hindu/Muslim relationships in contrast to your microworld experiences (and I believe I can confidently say many of your peers). You could seek to use the cross cultural factors of religion and generation to explore a potential shift in attitudes between generations maybe, specific to Australia or something in examining the effect of specific media/macroworld influences on microworld attitudes of Hindu and Muslim youth relationships.

You could explore how multiculturalism is accepted to different extents, such as in regards to marital partners vs. peers. For example you could use a survey first (when you start primary research) to see whether the attitudes towards Hindu-Muslim relationships from a love perspective extend towards other types of relationships as well such as acceptable being friends and work colleagues or something and to what extent (like order 1 - 5 what would be the most to least acceptable relationships between hindu and muslim people against x criteria). But for something like that you'd have to ensure complete anonymity to try and make sure everyone answers honestly and to not offend your participants.

Make sure if you base it on your personal experience you don't make it sound too much like your life story and be objective and stuff:)

Hopefully that's a useful starting point - good luck:)

Last edited:

SMP213

HSC
hey thank you sooo much for your advice!!
but imma do the 'Changing nature of the fijian indian wedding' :)
yer, my teacher sed that an interfaith relationship as a topic is boring! and my first topic was the marriage thing, so she told me to do that because its rare, and interesting!!
so yer!
but thanks soo much!!
you give really good advice :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)